What Is The Last Film You Watched? (2021 films)

Jay

It's a reaction to the frequent complaint about films "taking themselves too seriously". I never agreed with that. I've always been more bothered by films not taking themselves seriously enough. If something really is pretentious (another criticism I disagree with frequently enough), I'd rather have it be earnest in its pretentiousness rather than being pretentious *and* trying to make up for it by making fun of itself on an incongruent meta level that's.

20 hours ago, AC1 said:

Hard to believe it's worse than the first one which made The Incredible Hulk (2008) seem like a good movie. 

In the right mindset, the movie is a giddily fun bad time at the theater. And the Rifftrax should be hysterical.

3 hours ago, Matt C said:

In the right mindset, the movie is a giddily fun bad time at the theater. And the Rifftrax should be hysterical.

I don't think it's possible for me to get into the right mindset. The way Venom talks, and what he's saying, I find it quite unbearable. Yesterday, my son wanted to show me how bad the trailer was for Venon 2, and there it was again, that feeling of unbearableness ...repulsion even.

This is why I rarely watch these Netflix Original Movies that keep popping up during the month. Most of them are in the same level of quality than those schlocky movies that were released direct to home video in the old VHS/DVD days. My list on Netflix is mostly old movies.

17 hours ago, AC1 said:

Yes, but I need to check them, because I want to be there when a new genius filmmaker stands up from the crowd. ;)

This is the best argument for film critics haha

The Many Saints Of Newark (2021)

saintsnewark2-729x1080.jpg

Watchable (Alessandro Nivola as Dickie Moltisanti is pretty good) but ultimately lacks what made the TV series so good. 6/10

Last Night In Soho - Edgar Wright's latest is part time-travel fantasy, part psychological horror. Eloise (Thomasin McKenzie), a modern-day young girl from Cornwall with a Sixties obsession, a strange 'sixth sense' and a passion for fashion design moves to London to study the latter. She soon moves out of her student accomodation (due to her awful roommate and her bitchy clique) and into a bedsit flat whose landlady is Miss Collins (Diana Rigg in her last screen role). She soon finds herself travelling back to Soho during her favourite decade (while there she is in the body of nightclub singer Sandie (Anna Taylor-Joy) ). At first she naturally enjoys all this, but things soon turn very dark indeed ...

Also starring Terence Stamp, Matt Smith, Pauline McLynn, Rita Tushingham and Margaret Nolan (the second 'Bond Girl' making her last screen appearance in this film).

I really enjoyed this ... Wright's inspirations were the likes of Don't Look Now and Repulsion, and it shows. And as you'd imagine, it has a great soundtrack.

Black Widow. Complete waste of time. 1/5

Shang Chi. Better, and this has a couple of pretty good fights in the first act (one that reminded me of the train scene in Spiderman 2). Middle act was a real bore and could have easily been cut by 15 minutes. The climax is yet another big CGI battle but I didn't mind it. 2.5/5

37 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Is it even worse than The Last Airbender? Because that is one of the worst movies of all time.

Yes but at least The Last Airbender has the value of being unintentionally hilarious. Same with The Happening.

Old's good. Definitely liked it more than The Visit or Glass, but prefer Split. Haven't seen Last Airbender or After Earth but liked it way more than The Happening, though haven't seen that since it came out. Would also take Old over Lady in the Water which I only just saw. 

I am sort of morbidly curious to watch Last Airbender but I think I'd really only watch After Earth for completism's sake...doesn't seem that interesting. 

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Is it even worse than The Last Airbender? Because that is one of the worst movies of all time.

That's the only Shyamalan I didn't see, but the characters, storytelling and dialog in Old are so below mediocre that I can't imagine The Last Airbender being that much worse. People say it's his worse movie since The Happening but even that one was better when you realize it was deliberately a B-movie. Old isn't even B-movie fun. It gets 2 points for the first 20 minutes.

But not in a fun way. I felt he was more interested in the drama of the premise. And drama is where the movie fails ... Also, that premise should have been intriguing and interesting, but the characters constantly explain everything. 

These are pretty much the exact two kinds of opinions I keep seeing on it lol, def one of the most split-right-down-the-middle movies I've seen in awhile, at least in a couple years. Literally 50% on the ol tomato site.

The one thing I can always say about Shyamalan, for better or worse, is that his movies are incredibly memorable. I can always remember a lot of moments, sequences, images long after seeing them. Even when they're bad, they're idiosyncratic.

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Halloween Kills

Guess these movies are action comedies now. 

I sat through it last night. It was so bloody and violence. The original Halloween had a small death count. Halloween Kills death count is Haddonfield.

The Trip (I Onde Dager) 2021

THE-TRIP-2021-NETFLIX-MOVIE-REVIEW.jpg

Now that was fun! Norwegian suspense/slapstick/horror movie with Noomi Rapace and Aksel Hennie. Available on Netflix.

Dune (2021). 

Having never read the book or watched the other movies, I enjoyed this but understand how this is polarising. There are some grand visuals - at times to a point where it's too much - but there is a sense of scope that just enveloped me. I bought into the whole thing about five minutes in. There's barely any plot to speak of though, and what's there is simplistic. And yet, I was drawn in. 

My better half completely hated it though. Said it was the worst movie watching experience of her life and gave her a headache. The headache is probably from the blaringly loud droning from Zimmer, which seemed to be mixed really loud (typical of Zimmer scores I feel - why can't better scores be mixed like this?). 

The score is easily the worst part of the film for me. It was actively distracting at points. 

I saw a very good movie - Firebird. It tells the story of a dangerous relationship that arose at a Soviet airbase during the height of the Cold War between a young soldier, his best friend and a brave pilot. In general, many good films have been shot about this period - get more info about the Cold War by reading research papers and essays. Historical films based on real events have always attracted me - Pearl Harbor, Jeanne D'Arc, Schindler's List and other popular well-known films. 

Malignant

Terrible. It's not scary at all and, even worse, it gets only more ridiculous as the movie progresses. By the end it turns into a horrible action movie, with the movie's villain in a kung fu battle with police officers. It tries to be smart and "so-crazy-you-wouldn't-believe-it" and by the end it's just cringeworthy.

I guess James Wan's best horror movie is still Insidious.

9 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Malignant

Terrible. It's not scary at all and, even worse, it gets only more ridiculous as the movie progresses. By the end it turns into a horrible action movie, with the movie's villain in a kung fu battle with police officers. It tries to be smart and "so-crazy-you-wouldn't-believe-it" and by the end it's just cringeworthy.

Another very polarising 2021 film! Enjoyed this a lot

Venom : Let There Be Carnage - this sequel is for the most part an absolute hoot, leaning into the absurdities of the situation more than the first film. Also done and dusted in a pretty trim 97 minutes as opposed to being too dragged out (Avengers Endgame, I'm looking at you).

On 18/10/2021 at 10:56 AM, Edmilson said:

Malignant

Its brilliant. Everything you said is so wrong. Your kung fu comments make no damn sense. I guess you were so put out by the twist that you lost a grip on what happened. 

My boss had her absorbed twin removed two years ago. 

Back to Halloween Kills. I had to go back and rewatch this. Things nagged me. Then I viewed it from two perspectives. One as a typical universal horror film where an angry mob intervenes and more people die or a western where the angry mob intervenes and innocent. Mob justice never sits well.  So while Michael is the killer the people he kills late in  film all deserve what happens. Their false heroism undo any sense of right. 

I can wait for Halloween Ends but  color me interested.

THE LAST DUEL

A bleak 14th century soap opera masquerading as something profound. Outside of Jodie Comer (who is brilliant in everything she does) I wasn't convinced by any of the main performances. It all felt a little on the nose and stagey.

Everything 'physical', ie the production design and cinematography is, as always for Scott, exemplary and I do like the score, as others here have, particularly the end credits 'song'.

2.5 / 5

Love is a strong word. 

While there are a lot of 5 star audience reviews there are a lot of single star and half star  reviews.

Going to grab the Green Knight and probably Escape Room Tournament or Night House.

Huh? I wasn't talking about me but about Wes Anderson. You want drama and dialogue from a director whose sole interest is his tableaux. 

6 hours ago, AC1 said:

Huh? I wasn't talking bout me but about Wes Anderson. You want drama and dialogue from a director whose sole interest is his tableaux. 

Having seen Rushmore and The Royal Tenanbaums I'll disagree. Oh wait, I saw the hotel thing too. Still disagree. 

I love every movie he's ever made.  He wants to concentrate more on character, I'm there for it.  He wants to concentrate more on visual whimsy, I'm there for it.  I'm there for whatever he wants to do.

He and the Coens are the only currently working directors that have carte blanche as far I'm concerned.  I will enjoy anything they do.