What Is The Last Film You Watched? (2021 films)

Jay

Man, I didn't even realize that Wes has already finished filming his next movie, apparently titled Asteroid City.  And Tom Hanks is in it!  I'm not sure I can handle this :lol:@The Illustrious Jerry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asteroid_City

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I love every movie he's ever made.  He wants to concentrate more on character, I'm there for it.  He wants to concentrate more on visual whimsy, I'm there for it.  I'm there for whatever he wants to do.

He and the Coens are the only currently working directors that have carte blanche as far I'm concerned.  I will enjoy anything they do.

You’ll love the film then. It’s incredibly well shot and staged. I still liked and enjoyed it very much, just not my preferred type of Anderson. It’s essentially three vignettes vaguely stitched together. It’s generally much drier than his previous works. 

the-french-dispatch-057-fd-sg-07363-rgb.

The French Dispatch

Possibly Wes Anderson's most exhausting film. This anthology picture is overflowing with so many ideas, brimming in rapid-fire, verbose, deadpan monologues, overwhelming subtitles, circuitous storytelling and swarming visual frames that are constantly shifting before your eyes...it's a lot to take in 90 minutes. 

But I can't help but smile at it. It's clearly a love letter to everything he loved about that era of American expatriates in Paris (not so subtly named "Ennui" in this film), rich in so many thoughts around the different facets of that community. I just don't think this film and its structure can really hold all of it, and his stylistic indulgence just further complicates things (it is his most beautiful looking film though...granted there are like 5 films in one here). Even his jokes don't quite punch through all the density as effectively. But, I do admire it, messiness and all. It's more interesting to me than Isle of Dogs.

Desplat's score, more or less, felt insignificant. But does the job, as you would expect.

Thanks for the tip, @KK.

I hope to see this, sometime. In the meantime, I'll rewatch DVDs of THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL, and THE DARJEELING LIMITED, which I purchased, recently, from my local thrift store, for the princely sum of 50p (about 75 cents), for both. How cool is that?!

3 hours ago, KK said:

The French Dispatch

Possibly Wes Anderson's most exhausting film. This anthology picture is overflowing with so many ideas, brimming in rapid-fire, verbose, deadpan dialogues, overwhelming subtitles, circuitous storytelling and swarming visual frames that are constantly shifting before your eyes...it's a lot to take in 90 minutes. 

But I can't help but smile at it. It's clearly a love letter to everything he loved about that era of American expatriates in Paris (not so subtly named "Ennui" in this film), rich in so many thoughts around the different facets of that community. I just don't think this film and its structure can really hold all of it, and his stylistic indulgence just further complicates things (it is his most beautiful looking film though...granted there are like 5 films in one here). Even his jokes don't quite punch through all the density as effectively. But, I do admire it, messiness and all. It's more interesting to me than Isle of Dogs.

Desplat's score, more or less, felt insignificant. But does the job, as you would expect.

I mostly agree with everything you say here. I only noticed original score in the last vignette, and thought it fit perfectly. I prefer Isle Of Dogs simply because it’s a cohesive singular story. 

If you people think any of M Night Shamalan's films are among the worst movies ever made then clearly your film going experience is very very limited. 

There's this little art film that came out this weekend with lots of sand.

DUNE (2021)

I at least liked it. I'm waiting to see if it will grow on me or if I'll tire of it. I plan on seeing it at least once more.

They say its the new Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. I hear the score reminds folks of Howard Shore's work 

On 22/10/2021 at 9:24 AM, Disco Stu said:

Man, I didn't even realize that Wes has already finished filming his next movie, apparently titled Asteroid City.  And Tom Hanks is in it!

tom hanks dancing GIF

On 22/10/2021 at 9:24 AM, Disco Stu said:

I'm not sure I can handle this :lol:

tom-hanks-nobody-is-safe.gif

HALLOWEEN KILLS

Wow, what a pile of bollocks. I quite liked the first instalment of this new Halloween timeline but this is just a mess. 

Spoiler

How on Earth did he get away at the end? Why did none of the mob crowd bring a gun? Why was one of them equipped with merely an iron? I have so many questions.

Army Of Thieves (2021)

NsvRAQH.jpeg

Silly nonsense heist movie which plays as a backstory for Dieter, the safe cracker from Snyder's Army Of The Dead. FWIW, this prequel is more fun than Snyder's disappointing zombie movie. 

army-of-thieves-at-netflix.jpg

Dune (2021)

Paul may not be a great fantasy hero like we're used to, he's certainly no Luke, Frodo or Harry Potter. But the movie is great! It's truly an experience that deserves to be watched in the biggest screen you can find. 

It's probably my least favorite Villeneuve movie and it's still a great film with amazing visuals. Zimmer's score works well in some places, but in other scenes it's rather obnoxious.

20 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

It's probably my least favorite Villeneuve movie...

I'd go for Maelstrom, an interesting and bizarre but rather messy film.

My two favourite are easily Incendies and Sicario, respectively.

I find it very difficult to compare the others that I've seen. I like them all and they all have great merits, and yet each of them has aspects that makes me find it less satisfying than I'd like.

(I haven't seen August 32nd on Earth or Polytechnique.)

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Dune (2021)

Paul may not be a great fantasy hero like we're used to, he's certainly no Luke, Frodo or Harry Potter. But the movie is great! It's truly an experience that deserves to be watched in the biggest screen you can find. 

The biggest screen can find is my telly.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Zimmer's score...i..s...obnoxious.

Sorted :)

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

I need a new cinematic hero. Snyder was a false prophet.

Waititi, Cuaron, Bayonna, Bong Joon-ho are currently some of my favourite although I am not sure they would be your cup of tea

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The biggest screen can find is my telly.

Believe, the movie will not look as great in home video as it looks in the theaters, IMAX specially.

4 hours ago, AC1 said:

Will Dune bring any change in that?

No.

On 24/10/2021 at 4:47 PM, KK said:

The French Dispatch

Possibly Wes Anderson's most exhausting film. This anthology picture is overflowing with so many ideas, brimming in rapid-fire, verbose, deadpan monologues, overwhelming subtitles, circuitous storytelling and swarming visual frames that are constantly shifting before your eyes...it's a lot to take in 90 minutes. 

I just watched it at the cinema and the audience was so overstrained by it that they stopped caring and started talking. First time in years that I've had a bad experience with the audience I was with, but it were only the adults (probably expecting something on the level of a witless and unfunny German comedy), no adolescents that were annoying the other viewers.

The Little Things (2021)

MV5BOGFlNTdmYWQtM2IzMi00YTY3LTlmMDQtZDI5

One of the dumbest movies that I've seen in a long time. What's so dumb about it? Well, I don't want to spoil it for you. Hey, you might even like it! 

Venom: Let There Be Carnage. It wasn't a great film but definitely a fun guilty pleasure. The actors really elevate this. 

Will Eternals be better? We'll find out tonight. 

Karol

On 31/10/2021 at 4:12 PM, Glóin the Dark said:

I'd go for Maelstrom, an interesting and bizarre but rather messy film.

My two favourite are easily Incendies and Sicario, respectively.

I find it very difficult to compare the others that I've seen. I like them all and they all have great merits, and yet each of them has aspects that makes me find it less satisfying than I'd like.

(I haven't seen August 32nd on Earth or Polytechnique.)

I'm not sure whether I'm willing to see his first two movies out of respect of Villeneuve who stated himself that he doesn't really recognize these two movies as worthwhile. Just like Kubrick he kinda dismissed his early works.

I really really want to see Polytechnique, but at the same time I'm really really afraid of the movie. As a feminist and as someone who got to witness a whole town being traumatized by a car rampage, this might really trigger me personally.

6 hours ago, AC1 said:

One of the dumbest movies that I've seen in a long time. What's so dumb about it? Well, I don't want to spoil it for you. Hey, you might even like it! 

It's a pretty bad movie indeed. Worst of all: it's also super boring.

Anyone looking for a serial killer movie has a lot of better options from the 90s.

4 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

It's a pretty bad movie indeed. Worst of all: it's also super boring.

Anyone looking for a serial killer movie has a lot of better options from the 90s.

Exactly. At times I thought this movie wants to be the new Seven (but fails miserably).

Eternals

First: Chloé Zhao definitely is a talented director. There were a lot of gorgeous shots both intimate and on large scales

The actors were all good nothing out of the ordinary but nothing bad either

Visual effects are stunning, perhaps the best I've seen this year

About the story in itself I liked it there are lots of unusual things for a Marvel movie which was quite refreshing

Eternals. It wasn't terrible and there's a lot to like about it but this movie felt quite bloated and mercilessly long. So, funnily enough, I was both intrigued and bored. 

Karol

Dune (2021)

E6qxL0ZXEAcwUFH?format=png

That wasn't so bad. It's like the new Game Of Thrones (but with stiff characters and sans witty dialogue). Therefore I think it should have been a TV series. Now it feels like I have to wait two long years for the next 'episode'. The star of the movie has to be the production design which felt more impressive than everything else. 7/10

Jungle Cruise

It had a lot of potential of being a funny Raiders-like adventure in the jungle, but unfortunately this movie is painfully boring. Not even The Rock, who is one of the most charismatic entertainers in Hollywood these days, could save it. JNH's score is just too silly in context (he did a way better job 20 years ago in Atlantis, which is actually a better movie than Jungle Cruise). 

Also, it has a lot of crappy CGI, it's clear they filmed almost everything in front of a green screen in a comfortable LA studio. I miss when movies like this would actually go to exotic locations. 

5 hours ago, AC1 said:

Dune (2021)

That wasn't so bad. It's like the new Game Of Thrones (but with stiff characters and sans witty dialogue). Therefore I think it should have been a TV series. Now it feels like I have to wait two long years for the next 'episode'. The star of the movie has to be the production design which felt more impressive than everything else. 7/10

Fuck TV series, it has always been predestinated for the big screen.

59 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Fuck TV series, it has always been predestinated for the big screen.

The time movies were made solely for the big screen has long since gone. Their life after the theater is equally as important and certainly much more unduring (lasting decades instead of weeks) and directors that into account when they make movies.  

6 hours ago, AC1 said:

Dune (2021)

Actually agree with you. If it could muster the same production values (this is key), I think the entire story would work really well in the miniseries structure.

But I understand and admire Villeneuve's insistence on the big screen experience.

NO-TIME-TO-DIE-trailer-1200.jpg

No Time to Die

It's shot well and pretty entertaining, but all kinds of silly, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But the story is littered with holes in plot and character motivations, and jumps around quite a bit between camp and self-seriousness (how much of is intentional...I don't know). Rami Malek is sadly given nothing to work with given his underwhelming, anemic, "creep in a mask" villain character. Craig gets a fitting farewell I suppose, though I didn't find myself very emotionally invested (Zimmer's wrap-up cue was definitely trying though!). And the score works quite well actually.

Overall, it's fine.

22 minutes ago, KK said:

Actually agree with you. If it could muster the same production values (this is key), I think the entire story would work really well in the miniseries structure.

But I understand and admire Villeneuve's insistence on the big screen experience.

The thing is, it felt so Game Of Thrones to me that it was like watching a long pilot for a prestigious Fantasy show on HBO. Needless to say that the TV series will have to divide the budget of one single movie over 8 episodes and so it probably will never look as expensive as the movie. And yes, Villeuve made sure everything looked huge, but somehow that sense of scale was not lost on my TV.  However, I rather spend 450 minutes in this universe than 2h 35m.

7 minutes ago, AC1 said:

The thing is, it felt so Game Of Thrones to me that it was like watching a long pilot for a prestigious Fantasy show on HBO. Needless to say that the TV series will have to devide the budget of one single movie over 8 episodes and so it probably will never look as expensive as the movie. And yes, Villeuve made sure everything looked huge, but somehow that sense of scale was not lost on my TV.  However, I rather spend 450 minutes in this universe than 2h 35m.

The world-building in the film is more interesting than the characters themselves anyway. And I think there are also natural "episode breaks" in the film itself that would probably move the plot along in a more dynamic way.

Ex. First episode is the Atriedes family moving to Arrakis + Benne Gesserit stuff. Second episode, explore that world. Another episode, the family gets wiped out. etc etc

But yea, TV money is still not as big as movie money, so I guess I'll take the film.

47 minutes ago, KK said:

Ex. First episode is the Atriedes family moving to Arrakis + Benne Gesserit stuff. Second episode, explore that world. Another episode, the family gets wiped out. etc etc

And you would have plenty of room for another episode in between that has all the trust issues between Leto, Jessica, and Thufir Hawat.

I definitely could have seen that movie split into parts further. But its not doing that brilliantly in the box-office that Villenueve would have been confident to pitch a 3 or 4-part film series!

Be that as it may, I loved the film the way it is. Sure, it isn't perfect, but I actually disagree with arguments levelled against its characters: I definitely felt the plight of the characters, especially Jessica.

Red Notice

A fun, brainless movie. Dwayne Johnson and Ryan Reynolds make a good duo, unfortunately Gal Gadot deliveres a terrible performance, ruining some of the scenes

Plot is okay, not really important though here

No Time To Die (2021)

49965726351_6f4e1269d2_b.jpg

There are plenty of thrilling action sequences or set pieces, but overall, this Bond movie misses the class and finishing touch of Sam Mendes. And therefore there are a few too many times where you think: Hmm, that's not handled very well, or, I wouldn't have done it that way. The direction or storytelling itself (how you tell it) was sometimes a bit surprisingly deficient resulting in moments, dialogue, or even scenes that bring the movie down a notch. 6/10

Ghostbusters : Afterlife - in which Egon Spengler's daughter inherits the 'dirt farm' that he'd holed up in and moves there with her kids. The small town nearby seems sleepy, but of course it's not long before things turn spooksome. An amusing, nostalgic and poignant sequel which compensates for whatever the hell that thing in 2016 was supposed to be.

Megan Fox & Sydney Sweeney Should Lead A Night Teeth Prequel

Night Teeth

This is yet another bad Netflix original.  The premise is interesting enough (there's some kind of rift between different vampire groups in modern day LA, and a hired driver gets caught up in it, driving 2 vampires around as they kill others without realizing it at first), but it's totally scuttled by poor execution (bumbling "action" scenes, set design, pacing, acting, everything etc).  I was on board when I saw Sydney Sweeney was in it, but it turns out she and Megan Fox are only in the movie for literally one scene and that's it (See above - there, now you don't need to see the movie).  Don't bother with this clunker

I wholeheartedly recommend The Harder They Fall on Netflix. 

Great cast, visuals, and soundtrack. The whole thing is dripping with style. 

There are a few racially based jokes that are made at the expense of whites, and are laugh out loud funny, one is dialog and the other is visual.

Very delightful.