What Is The Last Film You Watched? (2021 films)

Jay

On 09/05/2023 at 3:22 PM, Jay said:

Alex will be happy to learn they just announced a spinoff, and it drops in 2 months

Yeah, but isn't this some kind of Spanish edition? I want the US edition Part Deux!

12 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

No time to die.

But, but, but… Oh God, oh God. NO no no no no… God… How Will they ever make another entry now? I mean, that’s not the point, it’s just… Okay, phew.

Exactly how I felt ... couldn't believe I'd just sat and watched Bond die, and it still rankles (the BluRay was bought shortly after release because I guess I'm a completist about certain things, but the ending means it's yet to be played) . Craig's 5 have (or are meant to have, anyway) their own self-contained arc, which is how they'll make another ... EON have said that the next one will have Bond as an already established agent again, so at least it's not going to be another 'origin story' reboot like CR. 

• 3 months later...

The Black Phone

The Black Phone - Official Trailer - YouTube

A movie that shows that maybe Derrickson would've been a best option to direct the It adaptation than Muschietti. Since this is based in a Joe Hill story, there's of course a lot of common themes with daddy King's work: a suburban setting where kids are targeted by a creepy guy.

But where The Black Phone (the movie) succeeds over It is that Derrickson creates that same bleak atmosphere of dread that made Sinister one of my top 10 horror movies ever. The whole movie is drenched under such a pessimistic, fatalistic tone that generates a lot of tension.

Either way, things were really wild in the 70s (when the movie is set), huh? The movie makes clear that there is a serial killer of childrean roaming the streets, and yet kids are allowed to walk freely as they wish all over the neighbourhood. But I guess this is what makes the tone of the movie so creepy - it's a world where adults are too drunk or incompetent to protect the children, so the youth needs to fend off for themselves.

24 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The Black Phone

The Black Phone - Official Trailer - YouTube

A movie that shows that maybe Derrickson would've been a best option to direct the It adaptation than Muschietti. Since this is based in a Joe Hill story, there's of course a lot of common themes with daddy King's work: a suburban setting where kids are targeted by a creepy guy.

But where The Black Phone (the movie) succeeds over It is that Derrickson creates that same bleak atmosphere of dread that made Sinister one of my top 10 horror movies ever. The whole movie is drenched under such a pessimistic, fatalistic tone that generates a lot of tension.

Either way, things were really wild in the 70s (when the movie is set), huh? The movie makes clear that there is a serial killer of childrean roaming the streets, and yet kids are allowed to walk freely as they wish all over the neighbourhood. But I guess this is what makes the tone of the movie so creepy - it's a world where adults are too drunk or incompetent to protect the children, so the youth needs to fend off for themselves.

This film is incredible!!! Loved it so much.

Was going in a bit hesitant, but when the phone rang for the first time I was so invested. And Ethan Hawke is chilling as fuck

The king's man.

Far-fetched at times, but as with National Treasure, I just sat back and enjoyed the ride. Fiennes is great, but Gemma Arterton’s Northern accent really didn’t work for me. God, how I’ve changed… Also, Rhys Ifans is AWESOME! He’s incredible in everything! And he didn’t make any impression in Deathly Hallows at all, I wonder who could possibly be responsible for that. Sadly I knew Goode was the bad guy (I need to stop looking at Wikipedia articles while watching movies), but bless him for teaching me the word ‘fuckstick’.

Most of the score is great. End credits open with a song, urgh.

• 5 weeks later...

image.jpeg

Eat Wheaties!

A sort of Curb-esque (the awkward cringe side, not the brilliant plot threads colliding side) dark comedy starring Tony Hale as an awkward middle-aged guy helping plan his college reunion.  Elizabeth Banks was in his class and was a friend of his, and he ends up going viral when he sends awkward messages to her on Facebook that he thought were private but were on her wall.  All kinds of things spiral out from there, as the cringe keeps ratcheting up and up.  The cast is filled with a bevy of very talented actors known for their TV work - Danielle Brooks (Orange Is The New Black / Peacemaker), Elisha Cuthbert (24), Sarah Chalke (Scrubs), Rizwan Manji (Schitt's Creek), Lamorne Morris (New Girl), Alan Tudyk (Firefly), Sarah Goldberg (Barry), Sarah Burns (Barry) as well as the great Paul Walter Hauser (I Tonya, Richard Jewell).  I enjoyed it but its not a new classic I'll probably ever see again or anything

4466_RIDETHEEAGLE_DVD_SLICK_600x600_crop_center.webp

Ride the Eagle

Cute film where Jake Johnson is a loser 40something living in a shed that he gets kicked out in the beginning of the movie just after learning his mother Susan Sarandon, who he's been estranged from since she abandoned him as a child to join a cult.  She has left him her cabin in Yosemite, under the condition of completing a to-do list she's left for him there, things that she hopes will make him a better person and understand how she felt about him.  Completing these tasks leads to him running into her former lover JK Simmons and a variety of escalating attacks between them until they meet on common ground.  As he's working on the list he also re-establishs contact with "the one that got away" D'Arcy Carden which adds a nice layer to the goings-on.  A nice, short and sweet film that delivers just what the trailer promises.  Very nice

It's on Hulu, Hoopla, or Kanopy

I don't think its a poster, I think its just just something someone threw together online or something.  I couldn't find a good still from the film to use and I wanted to show all four main characters

This is the poster

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

CODA

I finally caught up with this Oscar Best Picture winner (!?) when we had Apple TV+ earlier this year.  It's... fine?  It's not a bad movie by any means, but it's certainly not great either!  The story is very straight forward and predicable, the acting is fine but nothing extraordinary, and the directing is completely functional but nothing exceptional.  I don't get it.

It's on Apple TV+

werewolves-within-film-still-1.webp

Werewolves Within

This film is super fun!  I love these comedic / horror movie mashups, much more than I like straightforward horror movies.  This one involves Sam Richardson as the new mailman in a small New Hampshire town who quickly learns that people are dying from what seems to be an active werewolf.  AT&T girl Milana Vayntrub is great in this as the love interest, Michaela Watkins, Sarah Burns, Harvey Guillen, Glen Fleshler, and Cheyenne Jackson are part of the ensemble cast.  The twists are predictable, sure, but it was well told and well acted to make it all a pleasant surprise.  Perfect spooky season movie to watch with friends!

It's on Hulu

image.jpeg

Bliss

This is an interesting sort of Black Mirror-esque story starring Salma Hayek and Owen Wilson.  Owen Wilson a sad middle aged guy with a boring job who daydreams at work and doodles a utopia world and a beautiful woman in it.  One day after accidentally killing his boss (yes, accidentally killing his boss, in the first 5 minutes of the movie) he runs into Salma Hayek in a bar... who looks just like the woman in his drawings!  She teaches him to control people with telekenetic powers, and it isn't long until they take some blue crystals and wake up in the "real world"... that looks like his utopia!  But which world is real and which is fake?  The premise is fine, but a lot of other things fall short like set design costumes, directing... to use a phrase the kids today are saying, it's pretty mid.

It's on Amazon Prime

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/09/2021 at 3:28 PM, Jay said:

Vacation Friends' Sequel in the Works for 20th Century Studios, Hulu -  Variety

Vacation Friends

Pretty funny comedy flick with Lil Rey Howery and Yvonne Orji as the "normal" couple who meet a super crazy, drinking, drug-taking, always-partying couple - John Cena and Meredith Hagner - on a Mexican resort vacation, then expect to never see them again until they crash their wedding 7 months later and more comedy ensues.

Cena and Hagner were both excellent. I already knew how funny Hagner was from Search Party and Dummy, but Cena is proving to be quite adept at comedy himself after this, Blockers, and that Amy Schumer movie.

A nice breezy Friday night watch with lots of laughs and a decent, if completely implausible, story.  It's free on Hulu and a sequel's already been greenlit

We watched this again the other week when we saw the sequel had come out.  Still funny, the cast really shines

• 1 month later...

Dune, finally. So that's what the fuss is about. I'm more interested in the world than the story, will miss Kynes and like Jessica. The score's wailing cues are interesting, but I'm preparing for unnecessary album cues. One could also wonder why so much of the finale wasn't scored.

On 15/12/2023 at 11:28 PM, bollemanneke said:

Dune, finally. So that's what the fuss is about. I'm more interested in the world than the story ...

Meaning?

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Don't know, I felt disconnected from most of the characters ...

For me this a recurring issue with most of Villeuve's movies (BR 2049, Arrival, Sicario), although it didn't bother me all that much with Dune. I think Chalamet is actually a pretty good Paul Atreides. I also liked Josh Brolin's character (Gurney Halleck) and Oscar Isaac as the father of Paul. Didn't like the mother though ...

I love Ferguson but I feel she underplayed Jessica a bit. She wasn't formidable enough and we know she can do formidable. Of course they got rid of most of the conspiracy that would have allowed that.

5 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I love Ferguson but I feel she underplayed Jessica a bit. She wasn't formidable enough and we know she can do formidable. Of course they got rid of most of the conspiracy that would have allowed that.

Here's the reason why I didn't like her or why I didn't find her plausible. I never got to see (or better, feel) why the mother of Paul Atreides would've ever have been a Sister of the Bene Gesserit Order. All I saw was a plain, timid, soft-hearted, everyday mother, completely unaffected and unharmed by her Sisterhood ancestry. It's not the fault of the actress. It's the way the character has been written for the movie and it resulted in a safe, uninteresting, one-dimensional character with no depth. It's the only character in Villeneuve's Dune that I didn't believe in. Besides of her being just 'nice and caring' I should have felt there was also something dangerous or dark beneath the surface. It wasn't there.