Jump to content

What Is The Last Film You Watched? (2021 films)


Jay
 Share

Recommended Posts

Yeah, it's a dark psychological thriller in which the turmoil is completely understated and left to the subtext. I liked it, but many people won't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"The Power of the Dog " (cont'd)

 

I liked it too.  At some point in the movie we expect a Brokeback Mountain 2, that's not that at all, later, maybe a very cliché coming out à la "American Beauty"? Then again, no.

 

This film actually thwarts all clichés.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

"The Power of the Dog " (cont'd)

 

A liked it too.  At some point in the movie we expect a Brokeback Mountain 2, that's not that at all, later, maybe a very cliché coming out à la "American Beauty"? Then again, no.

 

This film actually thwarts all clichés.

 

 

 

(Y)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's alright. I liked it, didn't love it.

 

I remember feeling it pulled a lot from There Will Be Blood, in a more subtle way, and with much less plot to draw from.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Me too, but after the movie, when I saw who composed the music, I thought to myself: Ah, that's why! It's that Radiohead fella from There Will Be Blood! 

 

I liked The Power Of The Dog very much, it's my favorite movie of 2021*, but I would have liked it even more if the role of Phil Burbank was played by another actor. Not that Benedict Cumberbatch did a bad job but he's not a great actor in my book. In fact, Daniel-Day Lewis would have been a better choice (at least, I would have feared the character more) but that would have made too much of an connection with There Will Be Blood.

 

* I've not seen every movie made in 2021 so I can't say if it's the best.

 

 

I guess your favorite movie is PTA's Licorice Pizza? I haven't seen it yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Boiling Point - grippingly intense (but not humourless) one-take drama set almost entirely inside a London restaurant on 'Mad Friday' (a nickname in the UK for the Friday before Christmas, so called because festive revellers tend to REALLY 'go for it' that night) starring the brilliant Stephen Graham as head chef Andy desperately juggling staff issues, the establishment's owner continually getting at him, jerky customers (include a rival chef with a TV career who's accompanied by a restaurant critic), and difficulties in his personal life.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kenneth Branagh's autobiographical Belfast has, of course, the outbreak of the Troubles as its constant backdrop. But by God, it's about SO much more ... the joys of childhood, first love, the warmth of tight-knit family and community bonds and a love of film. It has a huge heart and absolutely ACHES with nostalgia. And it's beautifully, evocatively shot in black-and-white.
 

I winced. I laughed. I cried. I absolutely bloody loved it. A love letter to this place and all of its people. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Last Duel' Is More Than Just Unsuccessful Oscar Bait - The Ringer

 

The Last Duel

 

I liked it! Good action, interesting story, top notch production values, actors did good.  Affleck really hammed it up.  I quite liked that splitting the story into the viewpoints of the 3 main characters let them each be the main character in their own mini-movie, and that everything they did got more context via the other stories.  I think this film would make for a more interesting than usual second watch, in fact, to see the earlier stories again with the full context of everything.

 

I don't think they quite stuck the landing though, I felt like the final part needed to be elevated above everything that came before but it was just kinda there.  Still, a very enjoyable watch.

 

It's on HBO Max!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still waiting for that one to show up free somewhere

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm 45 mins from the end of Don't Look Up and I'm loving everything about it, particularly Britell's score, which sort of has two sides - a jazzy side for the world's ignorance, and a more emotional/orchestral side. I very rarely like jazz, but I do like this one. I must've paused it a good 3 or 4 times to check that the current bit of music was on the release.

 

I won't go into the subject matter too much for obvious reasons, but it's a striking commentary so far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This weekend I watched two 2021 movies from Sony:

 

Escape Room 2: Tournament of the Champions

 

Meh. The booby traps are entertaining enough, but the main plot is pretty bad. The first one at least was more effective.

 

Spider-Man: No Way Home

 

Better than I expected. It sure has a lot of fanservice for people like me who have been watching Spider-Man movies since my childhood. Gia's score is forgettable and the sad theme for piano sounds like something he could've written for one of his Apes movies.

 

Now I want another movie like this, but with Batman. Can you imagine Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, Christian Bale, Ben Affleck and Robert Pattinson meeting each other and talking about their villains? I can imagine Bale talking to Keaton: "Your Joker was a glorified prankster, mine was an anarchic mass murderer".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

NO TIME TO DIE

 

Like many recent Bond flicks it has a good first half and a poor finale.

They don't have the confidence to make a REAL film- I.e a spy thriller-  and ALWAYS resort to mindless action sequences.

Just like MCU

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I'm 45 mins from the end of Don't Look Up and I'm loving everything about it, particularly Britell's score, which sort of has two sides - a jazzy side for the world's ignorance, and a more emotional/orchestral side. I very rarely like jazz, but I do like this one. I must've paused it a good 3 or 4 times to check that the current bit of music was on the release.

 

I won't go into the subject matter too much for obvious reasons, but it's a striking commentary so far.

This movie could have been called NO TIME FOR SUBTLETIES - not that it's a bad thing, at this point it simply seems to be pragmatic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Being the Ricardos - Amazon Prime Video Movie - Where To Watch

 

Being The Ricardos

 

Well, I liked it, but it wasn't perfect.  Molly's Game remains Sorkin's best film by a country mile, but this one does have more life in it, and more interesting ideas, than Trial of the Chicago Seven.  Nicole Kidman and Javier Bardem are both good as Lucy and Desi, even if they aren't really that much like the real people.  JK Simmons was remarkably good, really liked his performance.  Tony Hale, Alia Shawkat, Jake Lacy, and a newcomer to me (Nina Arianda) all do very well in their supporting roles.


The story was interesting - I had no idea Lucy was accused of being a communist, or that Desi cheated on her, etc, and it all unraveled pretty well.  It really isn't spectacularly great, but you could do worse watching a film for 2 hours, it has many moments of goodness.

 

It's on Amazon Prime

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Lost Daughter (2021)

 

the_lost_daughter_affiche.jpg

 

The  acting is the strongest point of the film and it should be clear that this was director's main focus. Don't expect a visually beautiful film, Maggie Gyllenhaal is not interested in that, the camera or the compositions are fully at the service of the actors. And despite the fairly long running time, I was able to watch it in one go. What did bother me were the often strange or weird reactions of the characters and certainly the all too explicit annoying children. It certainly wasn't subtle. Therefore a 6/10. As always, your mileage may vary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Scream - figured a 10:00 am Sunday screening of an 18-rated movie might not be too crowded, and so it proved ... had the cinema to myself! 

25 years on from the first flick, this latest in the franchise proves that the blend of meta-humour and slasher-whodunnit still works pretty well (apart from a too drawn-out climactic showdown).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/01/2022 at 5:35 PM, Edmilson said:

Now I want another movie like this, but with Batman. Can you imagine Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, Christian Bale, Ben Affleck and Robert Pattinson meeting each other and talking about their villains? I can imagine Bale talking to Keaton: "Your Joker was a glorified prankster, mine was an anarchic mass murderer".

 

The meta Batman movie I want to see is Affleck, Bale, Keaton, and Pattinson have to help Clooney/Kilmer but especially Clooney save the Schumacher universe, forcing the audience to consider whether or not rescuing Batman & Robin is a worthy mission. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Old Henry (2021)

 

MV5BM2ViYWUzODctMGU2ZS00NzRjLThmOTAtYTUy

 

Old-fashioned, entertaining Western with good dialogue but without much substance. During the big climax of the story I started to realize that in the end it doesn't amount to much and that I will have forgotten about it a day later. Old Henry is not the masterpiece some want to proclaim. Just a nice Western, no more, no less. 6/10

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I stopped watching Being The Ricardos because it couldn't keep my attention. Didn't even bother to post about it. I remember when I hired a VHS video and later DVD you usually keep on watching till the end but that all changed with streaming. If a movie doesn't pique my interest in the first 15 minutes or so, I stop watching. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shame. I don't say it applies to this film, but a lot of films are best when you've seen them until the end.

 

Example: Nightmare Alley. This film is brilliant because of it's last 20-30 minutes.

I was watching the film and thought to myself halfway through. Why was the first half of the film important to the story. Until the very final scene. Incredible!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't find Nightmare Alley brillant. The fifteen first minutes are good and the last 20-30 minutes are great but that's still more than 1h30 of not very interesting stuff in between...

But yeah to judge a movie it's better to see it entirely

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Shame. I don't say it applies to this film, but a lot of films are best when you've seen them until the end.

 

Example: Nightmare Alley. This film is brilliant because of it's last 20-30 minutes.

I was watching the film and thought to myself halfway through. Why was the first half of the film important to the story. Until the very final scene. Incredible!

 

Are you saying I should have persevered during The Rise Of Skywalker?!

 

Banned-Horror-Movies-A-Clockwork-Orange.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Those Who Wish Me Dead (2021)

 

1136136.jpg

 

Film has its moments. Could have been a 6/10 movie (the action crime part) but I couldn't care about the wildfire disaster part. 5/10

 

MCDTHWH_WB024.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nobody. On a snowy/sleeting/icy thursday it was satisfying. Killing russians is avery Americans dream villain kill 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't Look Up

 

Absolutely insufferable. A movie that thinks it's smart for an audience it thinks is stupid.

 

Horrible. It's beyond me how this is getting nominations for anything other than the Razzies

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Romão said:

Don't Look Up

 

Absolutely insufferable.

 

 

 

Agreed, that's why I stopped watching.  The film wants to satirize yet at the same time warn about a 'certain administration' but it does it in such a ridicilously blunt way that it becomes insufferable indeed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

 

The film wants to satirize yet at the same time warm about a 'certain administration....

Jay and Ricard?

😎

8 hours ago, Romão said:

Don't Look Up

 

Absolutely insufferable. A movie that thinks it's smart for an audience it thinks is stupid.

 

Horrible. It's beyond me how this is getting nominations for anything other than the Razzies

 

 

I bet it's on Thor's " Top Ten" list😛😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Romão said:

Don't Look Up

 

Absolutely insufferable. A movie that thinks it's smart for an audience it thinks is stupid.

 

Horrible. It's beyond me how this is getting nominations for anything other than the Razzies

 

 

 

It's the ultimate, self-righteous "Hollywood patting itself on the back" bs. So the industry is trying to lift it up as some "misunderstood prophetic warning" that the ignorant masses don't want to listen to...even though everyone knows it's really just a dud.

 

There is nothing clever, witty or insightful that film has to offer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have finally been able to watch The King's Man.

 

I loved it. Very different from the first 2 films. The first 2 were kinda modern takes on James Bond. But this is more of a history/war film. Think Downton Abbey or The Crown with action scenes.

 

Djimon Honsou, Gemma Aterton, Tom Hollander & Harris Dickinson were all great.

Ralph Fiennes did a great job with quite an emotional role. And his character arc was amazing.
But Rhys Ifans as Rasputin was hilarious. He had a fight scene that was soo cool. It should go down as one the best fight scenes in an action fiom.

 

Production, cinematography, sound en directtion was topn otch.

 

And lastly the music. Margeson & Lewis did a great job. This is my favorite score of the Kingsman scores. There is one moment of electronics but the rest of the score is completely orchestral. The new King's Man theme is similar to the overall Kingsman theme, but different enough to make it stand out.

The villain theme is good. Especially in the final battle.

The moment when Tchaikovsky is used under a fight scene is the best use of classical music in a film since William Tell's Overture in The Lone Ranger.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I have finally been able to watch The King's Man.

 

I loved it. Very different from the first 2 films. The first 2 were kinda modern takes on James Bond. But this is more of a history/war film. Think Downton Abbey or The Crown with action scenes.

 

"Downtown Abbey / The Crown with action scenes".

 

Like, actors overdressed in fancy clothing (that one can barely move in) are punching their way out, jumping off rooftops, blowing things up? Whoa.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, AC1 said:

The Marksman (2021)

 

 

 

5/10

 


Jeez, that’s generous, this was bad, really bad. At most 2-or-3/10.

 

That said, I am a Neeson fan, I’d love to see a box set of his post-Taken movies! 😊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, rough cut said:


Jeez, that’s generous, this was bad, really bad. At most 2-or-3/10.

 

That said, I am a Neeson fan, I’d love to see a box set of his post-Taken movies! 😊

 

Well, it's got a 5.6 on IMDb. 

 

You're no Neeson fan if you don't like the original Taken:pfft:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The great Liam Neeson boxset:
2008 Taken
2011 Unknown
2012 The Grey
2012 Taken 2
2014 Non-Stop
2014 A Walk Among the Tombstones
2014 Taken 3
2015 Run All Night
2017 Mark Felt
2018 The Commuter
2019 Cold Pursuit
2020 Honest Thief
2021 The Marksman
2021 The Ice Road
2022 Blacklight
2022 Memory

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eternals (2021)

 

You know, the good thing of watching a movie that most critics (and fans) didn't like is that I start to watch it with such low expectations that I become pleasantly surprised by the movie's qualities.

 

So yeah, I didn't think this movie was THAT awful. It's beautifully shot and directed, almost reminding me of a Terrence Malick movie. Some scenes are very evocative, it's like this was an art movie disguised as a super-hero blockbuster.

 

Too bad the script is terrible, though. Boring, the characters are hardly interesting, the plot twists are utterly ridiculous, anyway, the plot is pretty bad.

 

Also, this movie commits the same error as Justice League (the Joss Whedon version): after two hours of mostly uninteresting nonsense, the end of the movie teases a sequel that sounds way more interesting than the crap you just watched. However, like JL, the movie bombed, so it's unlikely we'll ever get to see the sequel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We'll see the sequel because Feige wants it, Zhao is apparently also interrested by it and Marvel are almost always pursuing their plans.

 

I thought the movie was as good as the other Marvel releases of the year, well directed. The story is certaintly not the most thrilling story but it's a superhero origin story (in which the plot is usually not the best thing as you're here to discover the univers and the characters)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I never said I don’t like Taken. I just see the Taken-movies in a box of their own, they’re that strong a brand. Kinda like a The Matrix box where you kind of only like the first one, but that one is so good it overshadows how badly the sequels sucked. 😊

 

And then bundle up the rest as per @May the Force be with You’s suggestion and color me happy!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Eternals (2021)

 

You know, the good thing of watching a movie that most critics (and fans) didn't like is that I start to watch it with such low expectations that I become pleasantly surprised by the movie's qualities.

 

So yeah, I didn't think this movie was THAT awful. It's beautifully shot and directed, almost reminding me of a Terrence Malick movie. Some scenes are very evocative, it's like this was an art movie disguised as a super-hero blockbuster.

 

Too bad the script is terrible, though. Boring, the characters are hardly interesting, the plot twists are utterly ridiculous, anyway, the plot is pretty bad.

 

Also, this movie commits the same error as Justice League (the Joss Whedon version): after two hours of mostly uninteresting nonsense, the end of the movie teases a sequel that sounds way more interesting than the crap you just watched. However, like JL, the movie bombed, so it's unlikely we'll ever get to see the sequel.

 

I thought it was better than some of the other recent superhero movies. The idea isn't bad and the internal dispute makes it watchable. I wouldn't call it an art movie, though, not even one in disguise. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

I thought it was better than some of the other recent superhero movies

Yeah, I liked this one more than Black Widow and Shang-Chi, mostly due to Zhao's directing and the cinematography.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

 

So yeah, I didn't think this movie was THAT awful. It's beautifully shot and directed, almost reminding me of a Terrence Malick movie.

You see how you contradict yourself there? At first, you say that it's not "THAT awful" and then you compare it to a Terrence Malick movie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

You see how you contradict yourself there? At first, you say that it's not "THAT awful" and then you compare it to a Terrence Malick movie.

Maybe I should've said "it reminds me of a Malick movie, but it's not as good as an actual Malick movie". 

 

To clarify: the movie is still bad, but some shots are similar to a Malick movie. But only on the surface. You can compare it to Rogue One's score: it sounds like a John Williams Star Wars score, but it ain't as good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I started to watch RESPECT but,  after seeing the running time was 2:20 AND the opening scene showed her in bed as a child, I bailed!.

I think I watched less than a minute; gotta be a world's record😅😙

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

... the opening scene showed her in bed as a child, I bailed!.

 

 

Is it sacrilege in your country to show a little girl sleeping?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, AC1 said:

 

Is it sacrilege in your country to show a little girl sleeping?

If the film started out in childhood it probably meant an.hour before she becomes a pop singer .

I just wanted to see her sing, not sleep!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.