What Is The Last Film You Watched? (2020 films)

Matt C

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

...the standards the majority of people use; IE Parasite made critics 2019 lists, won the oscars for 2019 films, etc.  Nothing more complicated than that.

I don't think this is as simple as you imply. Parasite made critics' 2020 lists too. Nomadland made many 2020 lists. Beanpole was originally released in 2019 but didn't make it onto US lists until 2020. Films eligible for awards in the US often appear in other countries' awards ceremonies in diffferent years and, as you say, this is an international message board.

I'd say that it's best to let posters determine individually how they classify films and not worry too much about it. 

Sure, I don't care about any of that stuff

Quint, did you see any other 2020 films you liked more than Palm Springs?

Aye, but I was asking about films first released (in any country) in 2020, not older films.  I guess you're not interesting in having a civil conversation with me today.  Hope you enjoyed having a laugh at me, have a nice day!

Christmas Chronicles 2 is one, that was lovely. Eurovision was probably on par with Palm Springs for me.

Call of the Wild, loved watching that with my two children at the cinema just before pandemic life. Would definitely choose that adventure flick over Palm Springs.

I don't keep lists.

1 hour ago, Glóin the Dark said:

The release schedules have meant that several films (notably ParasitePortrait of a Lady on FireUncut Gems and Clemency) are 2020 films in the UK though they were released in other places the previous year.

The British actually allowed UNCUT GEMS into the country?!

It should have been quarantined.

😁

20 minutes ago, Quintus said:

The first Christmas Chronicles movie was pretty crappy. Chris Columbus took over the reins for the sequel though, and it shows.

A coworker was telling they gave Goldie Hawn more to do in the sequel too

20 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

The British actually allowed UNCUT GEMS into the country?!

It should have been quarantined.

😁

I watched Uncut Gems this summer and loved it.  What a unique ratcheting up of tension like I haven't seen before!

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

I think you are right. They enjoy the slapstik, but "what did I make out of my life" is not really a kids topic.

There is no reason why animation has to be a genre only for kids.

MONONOKE and WIND RISES are adult themed films.

US has only been one way, sadly.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I watched Uncut Gems this summer and loved it.

I believe you. 😅😅😅😅😅

Lets see watched WW 84 lots of fun but once was enough. Watched Mulan really had fun but the tale is as old as wine. Love and Monsters. Again lota of fun. Plan to see shadow in the clouds as soon as it opens here. Since 2020 is over the Invisible Man is my top film. Hillbily Effigy and Tenet are the worst. 

Yay, another Invisible Man fan!

I was curious about Love and Monsters.  Thanks for the reminder I wanted to check that one out

Shadow In the Cloud looks bonkers!

gi6kzbE.gif

I dunno if I'll ever get around to seeing Hillbilly Elegy or not...

49 minutes ago, Jay said:

A coworker was telling they gave Goldie Hawn more to do in the sequel too

You won't necessarily enjoy it, as it's very cheesy. Plus I watched it with two kids, which goes a long way. 

53 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

There is no reason why animation has to be a genre only for kids.

MONONOKE and WIND RISES are adult themed films.

US has only been one way, sadly.

There are great animated movies for grown ups. Ever seen Persepolis? One of my favourites. 

But I must confess, it didn't come out 2020 

I too saw Dolittle. It was over criticized. It was a fresh McDonald's cheese burger never the best nor the worst. It got me from one time stamp to another time stamp in 2020.

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

The British actually allowed UNCUT GEMS into the country?! It should have been quarantined.

I've seen Uncut Gems at least half a dozen times, and it's gotten more astonishing with each viewing. I think it's the greatest film of the last five years.

46 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Triplets of Belleville was a cool animated flick too, that kids probably wouldn't enjoy

Adults neither

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's so freaking intense!  I couldn't believe how he would continually get himself into more and more trouble!

Sandler was perfect in the role too

Intense to the point of absurdity.

I turned it off after an hour .....like MANY viewers.

There's a reason it didn get a or Proper theatrical release- only TWO people liked it😅😅😅😅😅

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Sandler was perfect in the role too

Nuff said 😊😜

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

There are great animated movies for grown ups. Ever seen Persepolis? One of my favourites. 

English language?

merlin_181669563_b6e2ab65-00f2-49f6-a507

Pieces of a Woman

I've seen the buzz for this film wane since it's initial splash it made at its festival run and I'm not entirely sure why. I suspect it may have something to do with LaBeouf's latest fiasco. But yes, the film loses some of its steam after its harrowing 30 minute opener, and yes, some of the symbolism is a little overstated (I could use less of the apples, and cheesy courtroom monologues), but this is a very confidently directed character drama that expertly navigates between hope and heartbreak. And Vanessa Kirby is a phenomenal force to be reckoned with! It's a good film. And I bet if it was all in French or Russian, the critics would be bawling over it.

Shore's score is mostly misplaced and has a tendency of cheapening the drama and sensationalizing the melodrama. Most of it would have worked better without any score. I did like the bits with his piano concerto though. Had a certain elegance to it.

On 1/8/2021 at 5:36 PM, KK said:

Shore's score is mostly misplaced and has a tendency of cheapening the drama and sensationalizing the melodrama.

Dead on! The movie feels like an independent production but the score feels like a Hollywood 'autumnal' score. It's a strange and rather baffling combination. I wouldn't be surprised if the score was 'pressured' by the money men to make 'their' movie more easy to watch. 

So after bragging that you hadn't seen any 2020 films or heard any 2020 scores, when 2021 rolls around and you pick 2020 flicks to catch up on, you pick Trial of The Chicago 7 to start with?

37 minutes ago, Jay said:

So after bragging that you hadn't seen any 2020 films or heard any 2020 scores, when 2021 rolls around and you pick 2020 flicks to catch up on, you pick Trial of The Chicago 7 to start with?

Better that than UNCUT GEMS!😜

9 hours ago, Jay said:

I offered up Mank, The Midnight Sky, or this, and my girlfriend chose this for us to watch that evening. 

And I wasn’t bragging that I hadn’t seen any. I’ve just kinda fallen out of keeping up with new films and scores. Still plenty of stuff that I would like to see. 

PALM SPRINGS

Hadn't heard about it till I saw it mentioned a few times on here... but, wow, I loved it! 

A nice take on the whole 'Groundhog Day' scenario with two very likeable leads. Funny and touching. 

249d3e04033755e76fe309a104362b80403be798

I was intrigued to check this out because of my tinnitus problem, but I didn't expect to see what could easily be the best film of 2020. To think they only had the budget to shoot one take per scene.  If I had to describe this movie with one word it would be Feel-O-Rama. I will follow director Darius Marder's career with great intrest.

And the AC1 Award For Best Actor In A Supporting Role goes to ...

sound-of-metal-METAL_SG_00315_rgb.jpg

... Paul Raci (whom I never heard of)

8/10

I Used to Go Here (2020) - IMDb

I Used To Go Here

Really liked this little flick we watched last night on HBO Max.  Gillian Jacobs is the star and is in pretty much every single scene and is great the whole time as a struggling author who returns to her university 15 years after graduating and has various interesting experiences with former professors (Jermaine Clement), former classmates (Jorma Taccone and his new girlfriend Kate Micucci), and the frat boy types that are now living in the house she used to rent.

A brisk 86 minutes no scene outstays its welcome and there are numerous comical moments throughout all while telling an interesting story.  Will probably earn a spot on my top 10 of 2020 if I bother to revise it!

Screen-Shot-2021-01-23-at-9-36-11-PM.png

Sound of Metal

A very compelling drama on the deaf community and being thrown off balance in life. It admirably never resorts to flashy sensationalism. And I love the 35mm look of the whole thing.