What Is The Last Film You Watched? (2020 films)

Matt C

2 hours ago, The Big Man said:

Yes. I've been working so damn hard trying to habituate to it and the nerve pain or else kill myself. This movie would just drive up my anxiety levels. No thanks.

Yeah, I understand that. I was wary about watching it for similar reasons, because I fear that tinnitus may possibly be down the road for me too.

ErQuOIxVgAIRQzs.jpg

Minari

A moving family drama about an immigrant family that tries to buy into the American dream. There were a lot of things here I could resonate with, coming from an immigrant family myself, and I'd imagine a lot of Americans will find themselves in this story. Mosseri's score sounds like an extension of his bass heavy, pop-esque vocal led sound for Kajillionaire and serves the film well. Hope this continues to get its deserved buzz.

a27d24_5756c8a9980341e2ba501d13a1089f0d~

Could have been good if it was a fully-fledged movie about immigrants, but sadly I didn't care about the horror/ghost story aspect. Good performances. 5/10

HH06.jpg

The Midnight Sky

Even though the trailer didn’t make it look great, there was enough stuff in there that made me think it could just be a bad trailer.

I was wrong. This film is surprisingly bad for one with such high production values and Clooney behind the camera. There was almost nothing redeeming about it, in my opinion. Even Desplat’s score was misguided and unremarkable. 

one-night-in-miami-amazon-prime.jpg

Good. Malcolm X, Muhammad Ali, Sam Cooke and Jim Brown in one room. I'm not familiar with the last name but all four characters were convincing. You can feel that it's based on a stage play (it has that kind of dialogue) but I didn't mind. Second Amazon Original movie in a row that I liked. 7/10

d8a2e0c5-9e1f-4abd-a119-1ad5f1f59476-One

Shadow in the Cloud. Not quite what I expected. But its easy to see how it was filmed in a Covid-2019 environment. I got my 2 bucks worth. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The High Note (2020) | Oh! That Film Blog

The High Note

Decent enough lazy afternoon flick where Dakota Johnson pursues her dreams of being a music producer while being the assistant to super famous and super needy R&B star Tracee Ross, needy Diana-Ross-type, and sparring with her manager Ice Cube, who finds her potential first client in Kelvin Harrison Jr, who may or may not have problems heading towards his own stardom.

The cast is likable enough, the stakes are low enough, and the music is good enough to be a pleasant 2 hours that won't disappoint but won't be particularly memorable after either.

We found it on HBO Max

Uncle Frank - Film Review

Uncle Frank

This is a really good movie written and directed by Alan Ball based on some of his own life experiences.  We start in a South Carolina house in the early 70s with grandfather Stephen Root, father Steve Zahn, mother Judy Greer, and daughter Sophia Lillis (you may recognize her from IT and Sharp Objects), who yearns for new experiences by going to college in New York City.  Her Uncle Frank (Paul Bettany) is a professor there and she soon finds out that his "roommate" Peter Macdissi is more than that, and that there's much to learn about a lot in life.

The middle of the film is a road trip movie where they had back home, and the third act features quite a gut punch the likes of which I haven't seen in a film in a long while. The acting is terrific (especially Bettany and Macdissi), there is very little fat to the story, and it's pretty nicely paced despite each act having it's own feel and pacing to it.  

It's free on Amazon Prime

Sarah Paulson Thriller 'Run' to Debut on Hulu - Variety

Run

Decent little thriller flick completely anchored by Sarah Paulson's performance as an overprotective mother a teenage daughter about to head off to college... if her mother will let her.  All the twists are completely obvious, but what matters is the individual thriller scenes are well staged and exciting, and the ending is decent.  It's nothing special, but it's worth a watch once

It's free on Hulu

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Uncle Frank - Film Review

Uncle Frank

Ooh, I've been waiting for this to come out. Thanks for the heads up!

3 hours ago, Jay said:

It's been on Prime since November

Wow. Silly me.

Anyway, just watched it and loved it.

I've never seen Bettany in this sort of role, and he's just great. The girl from IT does a good job too.

I just seem to love everything Alan Ball does, with the exception of True Blood... never really got my teeth into that. (That's a joke about vampires)

But yeah, great film. Just digesting it all. 

Score-wise, Nathan Barr did a good job... the score is sparse. But I still wish Ball and Thomas Newman worked together more. Newman would have had a field-day with this sort of film.

The first season of True Blood was pretty good, but it plummeted into soapiness and absurdity quickly after that and he eventually left it to others.  It's really not worth watching overall, but one might enjoy watching the first season only and then moving on to something else

Bettany was indeed very good, all I loved all the nuances of the relationship he has with Peter Macdissi's character.  Just based on their acting and some dialogue you really understand everything their relationship has been like.  And I liked that Macdissi's character got to have his own character development with his mother even with everything else going on.

Certainly one of the best movies of 2020

Yeah, True Blood started pretty good, but then it started adding new creatures and monsters, and the show became a hot mess. It was basically just Twilight with more sex and gore.

These movies were very big here back in the day. They were bigger at the local box office than the Harry Potter films. But I only watched the third, and mainly because I was a Shore fan and wanted to hear his new fantasy score, lol. 

On 3/10/2021 at 7:36 AM, Edmilson said:

Yeah, True Blood started pretty good, but then it started adding new creatures and monsters, and the show became a hot mess. It was basically just Twilight with more sex and gore.

Season two was the apex!

Save Yourselves! - Official Movie Site

Save Yourselves!

One of the biggest surprises of our recent movie-watching adventures!  John Reynolds (Search Party) and Sunita Mani (Mr Robot, Glow) are a social media obsessed Brooklyn couple who decide to "unplug" and spend a week in a cabin in upstate NY with their cellphones turned off - and that's exactly when aliens invade!

This film is incredibly funny, relatable, surprising... it's well paced and interesting the whole time as it goes in various different directions.  A true hidden gem of 2020, check it out!

The Long, Strange Journey of 'Da 5 Bloods' - The Atlantic

Da 5 Bloods

Meh.  An interesting concept (4 Vietnam vets return to Vietnam 50 years after their service to find their comrade's remains to bring home - but actually are in search of hidden gold they stashed away) is ruined by Spike Lee's bloating of the film with unrelated stuff about race, wealth, Trump, etc, etc.  It's kind of a mess.

I really did not like Terence Blanchard's score; It was all over the place, with different scenes having such radically different styles it felt like Tarantino needle dropping in existing stuff instead of a cohesive score written specifically for the scenes.  And most of the time, the individual cues were grating rather than fitting into the mix.

It's free on Netflix, but I can't recommend it to anyone unless you really love Spike Lee even at his worst

Exclusive Trailer for Sound of Metal - YouTube

Sound of Metal

Fantastic film well deserving of its Oscar nominations, especially Riz Ahmed and Paul Raci who were both excellent.

The plot concerns a recovering (from drug addiction) drummer in a heavy metal duo (the other member is lead singer/guitarist and his girlfriend Olivia Cooke) who begins to lose his hearing a few years into his recovery.  He ends up staying at a home run by a deaf Vietnam vet (Raci) where he learned to cope with his new status in life while weighing the option of getting expensive and not guaranteed to work cochlear implant surgery.

This film has some of the best sound design I've ever heard.  Many scenes put you into the headspace of how Ahmed hears the world, in various different ways, such as making everything feel distant and muddled, or only hearing the bass, or certain sounds appearing more up front than others, etc.  It's a shoe-in to win the Oscar.

One of the best films of 2020 for certain.  It's free on Amazon Prime

Watched The Invisible Man for the first time. Loved it. Amazing film! Should have been nominated for VFX at the oscars.

Moss is terrific and the tension the movie is able to build with silence and long takes is amazing. Amd in that way the few jumpscares that were in the film felt very much earned instead of there to just scare you.

Yup! It's so expertly crafted. After seeing and loving what Whannel did with UPGRADE, I was curious to see what he'd do with a bigger budget and more of a mainstream picture, and he completely knocked it out of the park. Can't wait to see what he's got next

I had no idea either, until the movie was over and I saw "Directed by Leigh Whannell" in the credits and I was like oh wow, of course!

This weekend, we watched not 1, not 2, but 3 black and white films..... first up was

The Forty-Year-Old Version' Review | Finding a Voice | by Nick Shadix |  Medium

The 40 Year Old Version

Unfortunately this is kind of a dud.  It seemed funny enough from the trailer and general idea (unsuccessful near-40 Brooklyn playwright decides to pursue a rap career), but while Radha Blank might have a knack for coming up with good concepts and individual scenes, the overall story here is completely scatterbrained, has no flow, and lumbers through an indulgent 2 hour 9 minute running time.

There was nothing special about the cinematography nor any good reason I could see for shooting in black&white, other than perhaps the final shot where color begins to enter his life, but that was so heavy handed it was eye rolling and not eye opening.

Not recommended.  It's free on Netflix