What Is The Last Film You Watched? (2020 films)

Matt C

On 1/12/2021 at 3:09 AM, Jay said:

So after bragging that you hadn't seen any 2020 films or heard any 2020 scores, when 2021 rolls around and you pick 2020 flicks to catch up on, you pick Trial of The Chicago 7 to start with?

That was a fantastic film. Almost certainly better than any of the other Oscar nominees this year (admittedly, none of which I saw, because they all looked depressing as f*ck).

I liked it, it just wouldn't have been where I would have started if I had been in a coma throughout 2020 and started catching up on 2020 films this year, that's all

That was great.  Probably the best thing I've seen Jessica Chastain in, she has an over the top amount of presence & charisma in that role.  Thanks for reminding me about it, I really need to watch that one again! I've probably watched Moneyball half a dozen times.

Lawrence Michael Levine on his remarkable film, Black Bear, with Aubrey  Plaza - HeyUGuys

Black Bear

Wow!  This is one of the most original / unique movies I've seen in a long time.  It took me totally by surprise because I remembered very little about the trailer or what I had heard about it when I sat down to watch it this weekend, which is probably the best way to take it in - completely blind.

So with that in mind I don't want to say much about it except that it features very good performances by Aubrey Plaza (who does not do another variant of April Ludgate here at all), Christopher Abbott, Sara Gadon, Paola Lázaro, and Jennifer Kim... and touches on themes of jealousy, insecurity, gaslighting, movie-making, passive-aggressive behavior, gender roles, relationship infidelity, writing, acting.... and even feels a little bit Mulholland Dr at times.

It really defies a lot of the standard movie conventions which is what makes it so refreshing (if a little hard to follow at times).  Even the score seems to be in defiance to the action on screen a lot.  But I'm still thinking about many aspects of it days later, which doesn't happen with most films.  

It's $4 on VOD but will probably be streaming free somewhere soon.  Check it out if you like the occasional experimental film.

• 2 weeks later...

Judas and the Black Messiah at the cinema last week. It was pretty solid. As far as award-baits go, this one was pretty good. Great performances and very fascinating subject matter. Gripping. 

Karol

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm' Is Great Success, Very Nice | The Emory Wheel

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm

I laughed a lot.  Not every scene worked, and it's nowhere near as good as the first film.  But boy was there a lot of truly funny moments throughout this.

It was kind of interesting to see the covid pandemic take over the entire plot by the end of the film; this film was clearly written and began filming before covid, so they must have had to adapt on the fly as it was happening around them. The fact they made the entire climax be closely related to it was pretty impressive.

The weakest part of the whole movie was the whole Rudy Guilliani part.  They so clearly thought they had something special with this scene, so it's reallllllllllly stretched out and made to be a bigger thing than it actually is.  It's not actually that funny or interesting and the whole thing was way overblown.  There are so many other funnier and more memorable parts.

Definitely worth watching if you want a laugh, it's free on Amazon Prime

• 3 months later...

Movie Review: Freaky | The Nerd Daily

Freaky

LOL!  This movie was hilarious and super fun!  It's a body-swap movie where Vince Vaughn is a deranged serial killer and Kathryn Newton (Blockers, Big Little Lies, Lady Bird) is a high school senior who is a bit of an outcast despite her blonde cheerleader looks.  They get swapped early in the movie and lots of comedy, and grisly murders, ensue.  Not much more to say - it's fun!

It's free on HBO Max

MAAC Review: CHICK FIGHT - M.A.A.C.

Chick Fight

Decent but fairly forgettable comedy where Malin Åkerman is struggling to get by and finds solace an an underground all-female fight club, who ends up getting trained by Alec Baldwin (very good and funny here!) to eventually fight a rival there played by Bella Thorne and has a love interest in Entourage's Kevin Connolly.  A best friend character and her father provide comedy every so often to keep interest in the ok-ish main plot.  Nothing too memorable here, other than Bella Thorne, who I had never heard of before but is about as hot as it gets in this movie.

It's free on Amazon Prime

18 hours ago, Jay said:

A-Ron's New Movie Reviews: “Freaky” (2020) - MAUIWatch

Freaky

LOL!  This movie was hilarious and super fun!  It's a body-swap movie where Vince Vaughn is a deranged serial killer and Kathryn Newton (Blockers, Big Little Lies, Lady Bird) as a high school senior who is a bit of an outcast despite her blonde cheerleader looks.  They get swapped early in the movie and lots of comedy, and grisly murders, ensue.  Not much more to say - it's fun!

It's free on HBO Max

It has its moments, but stuff in it annoyed me (like almost every male character in it being a scumbag) and the ending felt tacked-on -

Spoiler

- for me, it was over when the Butcher 'died' in the ambulance. How/why he didn't isn't satisfactorily explained -  

- in order to provide an *empowering* climax.  

Is 'Tenet' a Flop? The Failure of Nolan's Movie, Explained

Tenet

Finally caught up with this now that it's free on HBO Max.  I liked it!  Two things that helped with my enjoyment were 1) my expectations were so low after all the negative reviews, I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't as awful as I was set up for and 2) very early in, we turned the subtitles on, so at no point did I ever miss any important dialogue.  Also just seeing the character and location names on screen helped keep track of everything as well.

Basically you have to accept some leaps in logic, basically magical aspects of how this world works, but then with those few rules they establish, everything else adheres to them and the plot is really not needlessly elaborate or complicated; It's very solid.  I thought the world it builds was pretty interesting, and this adventure in the universe was pretty good.  It actually has potential for a continuation, though I doubt Nolan will ever make one.

The best part of the film is probably the acting, Kenneth Brannagh really hammed it up as the villain, and John David Washington, Robert Pattinson, and Himesh Patel were good as the protagonists.  Elizabeth Debicki's storyline was fine too, if a bit overlong.  The numerous action scenes were all fine, vascillating between just getting the job done and being pretty interesting.  The movie is long (2 1/2 hours), but the pacing is very good, so it doesn't feel it.

It's not a masterpiece, or among Nolan's best or anything, but it's very enjoyable as long as you make sure to follow everything going on.  It's pretty similar to Inception, really.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's pretty similar to Inception, really.

If they are pretty similar, then why was Tenet such a disappointment for so many Inception fans? 

It was a disappointment to everyone wasn't it?  Seemed like it got pretty universal negative reviews from what I recall.  I don't really pay much attention to that stuff though, I go into every movie with an open mind.

I started watching Tenant a while ago. It was good, it was interesting. But I haven't gone back to it.

(The odds of my finishing a movie that I'm not watching with my family or in a theater these days is shockingly low.)

42 minutes ago, AC1 said:

If they are pretty similar, then why was Tenet such a disappointment for so many Inception fans? 

It's like Batman with or without nipples, they are quiet similar but for an unknown reason one of them is shitty

1 minute ago, May the Force be with You said:

It's like Batman with or without nipples, they are quiet similar but for an unknown reason one of them is shitty

I'd say Tenet is more of a James Bond-type of movie, with a Bond-girl, locations in other countries, a Russian villain, a suave hero... But with those sci-fi highjinks that Nolan would never be able to do in a proper Bond movie.

I think he grew up with spy flicks, since even his Batman movies partially resemble 007.

Oh yes, the movie very much follows the Bond template, absolutely!  It basically was his version of a Bond movie, with two major differences: 1) The layer of sci-fi fuckery that explains the reasons for doing all the things, and 2) a completely different personality for the main character.  Absolutely none of Bond himself is channeled in this movie, just the template of how the modern Bond films operate

15 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I'd say Tenet is more of a James Bond-type of movie, with a Bond-girl, locations in other countries, a Russian villain, a suave hero... But with those sci-fi highjinks that Nolan would never be able to do in a proper Bond movie.

I think he grew up with spy flicks, since even his Batman movies partially resemble 007.

I agree on that I was just reacting to AC1 post in which he was wondering why if they are so similar Inception is by far superior to Tenet for many.

Now it's sure that Nolan has always been a James Bond fan (one of his favourite movie is after all On her Majesty's Secret Service from what I recall).

Anyway I think that the real problem of this movie is how it s was handle by Nolan who is IMO a bit on free wheel

15 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I'd say Tenet is more of a James Bond-type of movie, with a Bond-girl, locations in other countries, a Russian villain, a suave hero...

Yes, and it could explain why many Nolan fans were disappoined with Tenet, it was more James Bond than it was Inception (even though Inception too gets pretty Bondesque in the end (with the skiing scene). I did not expect anything and so the James Bond vibe in Tenet was fine by me.

GEO.jpg

Nomadland

Nomadland-Frances-McDormand-2020.jpg

It was nice to see the typical '70s documentary style of directing but sadly I didn't feel for the main character (which is in stark contrast with what I felt during Sound Of Metal) nor for the movie's repetitive moments. Something is missing. I now fear for Marvel's Eternals. 5/10 

The Ending Of Desperados Explained

Desperados

Decent Friday night romcom to watch with your s.o. and then forget about.  I've liked Nasim Pedrad since her SNL days and she's an effective lead here, and has good chemistry with Lamorne Morris, as was already established in the last few seasons of New Girl.  Anna Camp is another "Where have they been?" actress who was nice to see again, and Heather Graham shows of her surprisingly adept comedic talents once again (she was also hilarious on Srubs) in a basically cameo appearance here.  The plot is entirely predictable but has enough funny moments throughout to not be boring.  It's free on Netflix

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

Nomadland

Nomadland-Frances-McDormand-2020.jpg

It was nice to see the typical '70s documentary style of directing but sadly I didn't feel for the main character (which is in stark contrast with what I felt during Sound Of Metal) nor for the movie's repetitive moments. Something is missing. I now fear for Marvel's Eternals. 5/10 

Wouldn't be that harsh with 5/10 but yeah there's something missing in this movie.

Perhaps was it too much of a documentary (with the emotional distance that Zhao has with the protagonists) without really being one.

Tenet was on TV today.

I admit the first hour or so of the movie is okay, with some pretty good moments. However, the movie does get worse once the "Protagonist" (lol) gets acquainted with the Russian villain and his boring wife. Then it's downhill after that, until the unexplicable climax.

Yeah, this is probably Nolan's worst movie. It's even worse than The Dark Knight Rises, which was already horrible.

12 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Wouldn't be that harsh with 5/10 ...

That has more to do with my personal response to the film than with the quality itself. I started to lose interest after a while (and even looked at the clock too many times) so I can't give it more than 5/10.

IORRAM (BOAT SONG)

This documentary has the distinction of being the first film shot, exclusively, in the Scottish Gaelic language (that's pronounced Galic, btw, and not Gaylic), but don't worry, as it has English subtitles.

It's a potted history of the fishing industry on the Outer Hebrides, and it's beautifully shot and narrated (by archive, and contemporary, interviews). More of a stream of consciousness, than a linear story, it jumps around, from one timezone, to the next, offering delicious insights into what made/makes the Western Isles such a great place, for sea farming.

It's not going to do Star Wars business, but, if anyone wants a fascinating glimpse into a bygone era, and a history lesson to boot, then you should give this a go. Sit back, and soak up the images, the atmospheric score, and the gorgeous language.

• 2 weeks later...

In 'Kajillionaire,' the family that scams together may — or may not — stay  together - The Boston Globe

Kajillionaire

And this is why I don't like the rush to make "best of the year" posts in December of a year; Here we are way into September of the following year and I've just seen what is probably my favorite movie of 2020 (we actually watched it in August but I'm behind in writing about what I've seen lately)

This is Miranda July's 3rd film, and I've seen her first - Me and You and Everyone We Know - and loved it.  That film really hit the sweet spot for me of quirk, pathos, hilarity, dark comedy, and showing the bizarre things you can get into going through puberty.  I haven't seen her second film, but Kajillionaire again examines the ins and outs of growing up without attentive parents, though we start with the main character already grown up

Evan Rachel Wood gives a very unique performance as Old Dolio, a 26 year old grifter who was raised by her grifter parents (the always wonderful Richard Jenkins, and a great Debra Winger) and still lives with them as them going around Los Angeles every day trying one scam or another, literally scraping by enough to keep living and that's about it.  It was fascinating to slowly see the ins and outs of how their lives work, full of quirks like some excellent physicality by Evan Rachel Wood trying to sneak into a post office to steal packages, a very unusual landlord who lets them live in an abandoned office that has one interesting feature: Every day (twice on Wednesdays) large amounts of bubbly foam ooze down one of the walls and must be collected by our grifter family in buckets and dispensed down the bathroom drain - and so on and so on.

The plot kicks into gear when in the middle of one scam, the family befriends Gina Rodriguez, which immediately interrupts their dynamic and much change begins to happen and some growth is made - but is it entirely for the better?

I can't say I was entirely on board with the movie from the get-go, but as it went on it slowly got me in its web and by the end I was so invested in what was going to happen, and why.  There are so many individual moments that stand out in my mind weeks later, none more so than an incredibly moving moment where they are waiting for an old man to die so they can steal his checkbook, and he tells one of the characters about his children.  Chilling and relatable.

Excellent flick.  I'd watch it again any time, and eagerly look forward to seeing July's 2nd movie - The Future - now!

It's free on HBO Max

On 9/1/2021 at 5:15 PM, Jay said:

It was a disappointment to everyone wasn't it?  Seemed like it got pretty universal negative reviews from what I recall.  I don't really pay much attention to that stuff though, I go into every movie with an open mind.

Seems like you read all the wrong reviews only. There were a few universal complaints that completely ignored the point of the movie, however, especially some highly regarded critics praised the movie.

No one will be able to give the film a proper rating from only one view. There are no logical gaps, you'll find out. And it's not only more hated but also much better than Inception due to Nolan not giving a fuck about any mass appealing effects.

• 2 months later...

MV5BNTA4MWQ4NGUtOGQ0MS00M2QyLWE5MDItZWM2

Wolfwalkers

Holy hell!  This is not only easily one of the best movies of 2020, but one of the best movies I've seen in years!

In 1650, the small village of Kilkenny, Ireland, is protected by the Lord Protector (Simon McBurney), who warns of vicious wolves in the nearby woods.  Bill Goodfellowe (Sean Bean) is tasked by the Lord Protector to hunt the wolves down; Robyn secret follows with her pet falcon Merlyn and discovers more than she could have expected in the woods...

I loved everything about this movie = the absolutely gorgeous art style that was unlike any movie I've seen before, the terrific voice acting, the score by Bruno Coulais and Kila and fitting songs (don't worry it's not a musical) by Aurora, and the wonderful storing that is so well paced an interesting.  The magic of the world is well defined and interesting, and all the characters and their motivations make sense.  This film expertly ratchets up the tension so well, you really wonder how the heroes will prevail against the villains.

Absolutely marvelous film.  The only issue is it is hard to find currently, being exclusive to Apple TV+ as far as streaming goes, and inside a box set of multiple films as far as Blu Rays go.  Here's hoping the Apple TV+ exclusivity is a window, and anyone will be able to easily see this film at some point.  It's so wonderful!

Onward | Disney Movies

Onward

I finally caught up with this Pixar film from last year.  I liked it - it's nowhere near Pixar's best, but probably one of the better ones of their recent output.  It's a bit smaller scale that something like Soul or Luca, which was nice; a more personal story.  Spider-man and Starlord did good voice acting jobs as the main kids, and I didn't realize until the end credits that it was Julia Louis Dreyfuss playing their mom, Octavia Spencer as Manticore, and Mel Rodriguez as the stepdad.  Fun movie!

It's free on Disney+

46 minutes ago, Jay said:

This is not only easily one of the best movies of 2020, but one of the best movies I've seen in years!

Make sure to catch up on the studio's 3 other movies too, Secret of Kells, Song of the Sea and The Breadwinner!

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Have you seen Wolfwalkers?  If so, what did you think?

I loved it! Not my favourite of theirs but I had a lot of fun and it's just gorgeous!

Spontaneous is a teen horror-comedy film Frank Movie Reviews

Spontaneous

Wowee, another one of the best films of 2020, and another example why I don't like bothering with best of year lists immediately after the year ends.

This gem of a film is the directorial debut of Brian Duffield, who wrote this script as well as the scripts for Jane Got A Gun, The Babysitter, Underwater, and Love and Monsters.  I haven't seen any of those films, but had wanted to check them all out at some point, and now I'll try to do so sooner.

Katherine Langford shines in this movie as Mara, a high school student in modern day New Jersey with parents Piper Perabo (where has she been?) and Rob Huebel, best friend Hayley Law, and love interest Charlie Plummer, who is also really good.  Langford and Plummer school everyone else in the whole movie with their terrific acting, and their chemistry is the best I've seen in a while.

The plot involves students in their high school class spontaneously exploding into bloody gore with no prior warning.  Through this so many things are touched on, such as gen z's educational life (social media, school shootings), gen x parenting, dealing with trauma in different ways, etc... all while a coming of age story and young romance story is going on at well, wrapping up with a message about living your life.

It's so well done on multiple levels, not just the acting as already mentioned, but it's paced expertly, with never a dull moment.  Andi it's FUNNY too, darkly funny at many times, and surprisingly funny at others.  Duffield really expertly balances the darkness of what's going on with just the right humor, at just the right times.

Really well done!  It's free on Hulu, Paramount+, DirecTV, and Epix

Having just finished Charlie Kaufman's novel, Antkind, I went on a little Kaufman binge. First I re-watched Anomalisa, one of the films which the novel's narrator-protagonist film critic ridicules. A strong film, and bleak but not quite as bleak as Synecdoche, NY. Then yesterday, I finally caught up with my Kaufman viewing and watched I'm Thinking of Ending Things, knowing nothing about it in advance. Back when I first saw Synecdoche, I was surprised, shocked, and rather disappointed by what seemed at the time such an untypically devastating entry in his filmography, but in hindsight it seems to have been a major turning point, and everything since then (including his novel) has been drawing from the same set of ideas, concepts, and emotions. IToET is similar, but different. Not as "achingly sad" as Synecdoche, but terrifying. A sense of severe uneasiness permeates the film, even in the earlier scenes when eveything still seems rather "normal" - even the more comedic scenes are more frightening than funny. It's the first film that made me feel afraid of losing my mind. The cast is excellent, with a standout lead (?) performance by Jessie Buckly (who I thought was entirely unknown to me, until I read that I'd already seen her in Chernobyl).

I've been a Kaufman fan ever since I first saw Being John Malkovich, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind has with repeated viewings become one of my very favourite films. Based on his absurdity, themes, and characters, he always seemed like a kindred spirit to me, which probably is the main reason why I find Synecdoche so profoundly disturbing. Everything since seems to be cut from a similar cloth - which doesn't mean he's abandoned the concepts from his earlier comedies (essentially, every Kaufman film seems to be a new mix of mainly the same ideas and concepts, but always in a new distinguished setting), but there is a certain bleakness and uneasiness, that connects everything he's done since then. Which, going back to the kindred spirit feeling, makes me worry about Kaufman, and by extent about myself. It took me a while to get used to this new "style" of his, but it's all still fascinating, and I'm still a big fan. I can't wait to see what he does next, although after these three stories I feel I have to stay away from that sort of stuff for a bit for my own sanity. I'm also very interested in the original book (not by Kaufman) now, because it seems to be very much the same story and yet the film is supposed to be very different (and clearly very Kaufman), and because either way I wonder how this kind of thing works on the page.

• 1 month later...

Love and Monsters Review: A Fun and Imaginative Post-Apocalyptic Romp |  IndieWire

Love and Monsters

I was psyched for this movie after hearing some good things and loving the screenwriter's other 2020 film Spontaneous.  While it does have many similar aspects including a nice coming of age storyline, I didn't feel it was overall as successful as that film.

In a post-apocalyptic future where the surface of earth is overrun with giant killer mutated insects, 24 year old Joel heads out to reconnect with the girlfriend he had when he was 17 the day the apocalypse started, and learns lots of things along the way.  Michael Rooker shows up for a while as a fellow world traveler, Jessica Henwick is the girlfriend, and a guy we thought was a lost Hemsworth brother (but isn't) has a good turn as a character not to be trusted.

Some of the best parts of the film are enjoying the every growing array of creatures, basically every encounter is with a new kind, and that was pretty inventive and cool.  And the film has a surprisingly poignant message about heading out and facing your fears instead of staying inside hiding from everything (the film was already in the can before the pandemic so it's a coincidence).

Overall, not a must-see like Spontaneous, but a decent enough flick, and certainly an entertaining one.

It's free on Paramount+ as well as Hulu

• 2 weeks later...

Watch Buddy Games Streaming Online | Hulu (Free Trial)

Buddy Games

A good cast is wasted in a forgettable and not funny enough "comedy" about life-long friends now in their 40s who reunite to play increasingly dangerous competitive games to help rehabilitate one of their friendgroup.  Comedy barely ensues in a limp effort by first time director Josh Duhamel, who clearly didn't learn enough from being on the other side of the camera as the directing is one of the biggest faults of the movie here; The same script and cast could have resulted in a new classic with a better director at the helm.  It's on Hulu

• 2 months later...

Godmothered. 

My first 2020 movie, I thought it would never happen. Also, I probably should have watched it when it came out to make that Christmas a bit more bearable. Anyway… It’s pretty good. Agnes was only annoying in the beginning, but then she grew on me, Eleanor is great and the jokes are amusing. Jane is irritating, however, and please, please let that song not be on the soundtrack and damn the person responsible for ruining Handel’s piece in it. I was also happy how the story didn’t unfold the way I was expecting it to.

Now, the music. The main theme is quite memorable and receives a few excellent variations, particularly on trumpets, but it has to be said that apart from those, all the source music, particularly the Sound of Music references, are better than anything Portman composed. God, I’m actually praising the Sound of Music! The choir is nice and there’s an undoubtedly accidental reference to the Tinker Bell 3 magic theme, but I can’t help wondering what Powell, Williams, Howard or McNeely might have done with this assignment.

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Godmothered. 

My first 2020 movie, I thought it would never happen. Also, I probably should have watched it when it came out to make that Christmas a bit more bearable. Anyway… It’s pretty good. Agnes was only annoying in the beginning, but then she grew on me, Eleanor is great and the jokes are amusing. Jane is irritating, however, and please, please let that song not be on the soundtrack and damn the person responsible for ruining Handel’s piece in it. I was also happy how the story didn’t unfold the way I was expecting it to.

Now, the music. The main theme is quite memorable and receives a few excellent variations, particularly on trumpets, but it has to be said that apart from those, all the source music, particularly the Sound of Music references, are better than anything Portman composed. God, I’m actually praising the Sound of Music! The choir is nice and there’s an undoubtedly accidental reference to the Tinker Bell 3 magic theme, but I can’t help wondering what Powell, Williams, Howard or McNeely might have done with this assignment.

Yeah it was kinda pleasant in the way that most Portman scores are but it’s the kind of score you expect to be swept away by. But I wasn’t. 

22 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Eleanor is great

Jillian Bell is hilarious.  Check out "22 Jump Street" for her best comedic work, or "Brittany Runs a Marathon" and "Sword of Trust" for good drama/comedy films featuring her