What Is The Last Film You Watched? (2020 films)

Matt C

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

Maybe, but they had a rough year and Tenet was their last hope to turn the tide. And from what I hear, AMC theatres are in financial trouble. 

As a rule I avoid AMC

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes

They had a deal with Netflix months before they started shooting.

1 minute ago, JoeinAR said:

As a rule I avoid AMC

What's good?

We use Regal and Cinemark almost exclusively.  Cinemark has the best theatres. All elect. Reclining leather seats. The best prices on concessions and modern screens. My understanding is they are gearing up for a upgrade because they expect 2022 to feature a glass-less 3D presentation of Avatar. Regal is closer to my house but it hasn't been upgraded in 6 years. Were getting new drive-in theatres too.

invisible_man_ver13_xlg-600x889.jpg

The Invisible Man would have been much better if the whole threat was left ambiguous. Is there really an invisible man or did Adrian (her husband) messed up her brain? Anyway, this movie is filled to the brim with illogical things that it became irritating. Switch off your brain with this one! 5/10

52 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I liked The Invisible Man, it was a decent horror flick.

My guess is that comic book fans will more favorable towards this movie. 

Because from a certain point in the movie ('discovery of the suit scene' ) it could almost pass as one. Then there's all the special powers the suit gives to the villain. The only thing missing is a superhero fighting the comic book villain.

The Devil All the Time - or that movie in which Batman, Spider-Man, the Winter Soldier, Alice in Wonderland and Pennywise are all hillbillies in this movie produced by Mysterio.

With this name, I was expecting a pretty dark horror movie, but this is more of a drama with some thriller aspects. The cast is pretty good and the plot is interesting and even touching sometimes. The direction and cinematography are great, but what surprised me the most was that I really liked the score. Danny Bensi and Saunder Juriaans' work here has some hints of Thomas Newman, maybe some Alexandre Desplat, and fits the movie very well. I loved the hypnotic pianos that played throughout most of the film.

Enola Holmes

I went with very low expectations towards this "Sherlock Holmes... but with feminism!" new Netflix movie, but I was surprised. It's a fun family friendly flick, with an endearing performance by Millie Bobby Brown. The movie unfortunately is longer than it needs to be, and some CGI backgrounds are pretty bad, but still it's a decent movie to watch with your kids.

• 4 weeks later...

Just watched Love and Monsters. I've loved Dylan O'Brien since The Maze Runner and more recently, Teen Wolf and here, he's the leading force of the film and a conduit for the comedy mostly coming from the witty dialogue. It's 1hr 48mins short and that's my major gripe, it's too damn short and certain plot elements are squashed because of the runtime. 

It's kind of made in the same mould as Zombieland with a dash of How To Train Your Dragon, with the main character a hopeless weakling who makes a compendium of the monsters he encounters and his confidence grows the more he overcomes his fears. All in all, it's just a bit of harmless fun that does nothing particularly new to push the genre, but what it does deliver is something charming, if a little undercooked and woefully short. In the Netflix streaming era, I would think had they optioned it for a limited series, it might've worked better in long form than a film presentation, but maybe it's just meant to be something digestible and enjoyed for what it is: a nice, summer film with some cgi monsters and a few laughs.

Marco Beltrami and Marcus Trumpp's score is like other Beltrami scores - it's kind of relegated to the background with maybe one or two noteworthy cues that fit the film well. It's a kind of throwback to old monster movie scores, but doesn't really standout other than in the end credits. 

On-The-Rocks-Movie-Poster.jpg

Sofia Coppola's worst movie to date. Yes, it's watchable, but it's so empty and fluffy that nothing makes an impression. You'll forget about this one the second it's over. Lost In Translation 2 it is not. 6/10

I cringe when I think back, that there were individuals who thought Lost In Translation would win Best Picture over Lord of the Rings. 

Which was 17 years ago. LotR is still alive and well. Who the fuck cares about Lost In Translation? 

Its a very good movie for what it is. At least you can't say The Lord of the Rings won for lack of strong competition. It was in very respectable company, actually.

By the way, there's something poetic about the films not only having won all those awards, but having been handed two of the most important ones - for screenplay and for producing - from the Coppollas and from Spielberg, respectivelly. You can see Philippa Boyens' face, having been handed an Oscar by Francis Ford Coppolla, trying to keep it together.

Well, its an indie film so its clearly not going to have the same...heritage, shall we say... as a tentpole like The Lord of the Rings.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

27 minutes ago, KK said:

No one is saying that. Obviously ROTK was the big Hollywood cultural phenomenon of its time. 

But to say that Lost in Translation is culturally irrelevant is to be intentionally obtuse. That film clearly made a splash at the time and resonated with a whole generation of youthful anxiety. And it's now one of the major films responsible for the contemporary indie/mumblecore aesthetic.

Just as LOTR influenced and changed the game for the modern blockbuster/fantasy genre, so did Lost in Translation help shape the modern independent drama/dramedy.

By and large, comparing the magnitude of influence of LotR on anything to Lost In Translation is beyond obtuse, as is the reduction of LotR's influence to "the fantasy genre". 

The topic was broad cultural influence. I don't give a fuck what influence LIT has on "dramedy". 

That's like saying Bourne Identity is as culturally relevant as Titanic because it shaped the spy thriller genre. 

Personally, I don't put much stock in "cultural impact." I only care about what a movie did or didn't FOR ME.

Obviously The Return of the King did more for me. But Lost in Translation is also very good.

5 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Obviously The Return of the King did more for me. But Lost in Translation is also very good.

Agreed.

But the statement I had contention with was this:

7 hours ago, gkgyver said:

LotR is still alive and well. Who the fuck cares about Lost In Translation? 

And the answer is, a lot of people do.

20 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

That's like saying Bourne Identity is as culturally relevant as Titanic because it shaped the spy thriller genre. 

Except that wasn't what was being said. More like, Bourne is(was?) culturally relevant, despite Titanic.

9 hours ago, gkgyver said:

I cringe when I think back, that there were individuals who thought Lost In Translation would win Best Picture over Lord of the Rings. 

Which was 17 years ago. LotR is still alive and well. Who the fuck cares about Lost In Translation? 

Master & Commander should've won that year. From the nominees, it was easily the one I found to the best, most enthralling and timeless. 

6 hours ago, Romão said:

Master & Commander should've won that year. From the nominees, it was easily the one I found to the best, most enthralling and timeless. 

But is it still alive and kicking today? Where is the cultural impact? What's the geek factor? Did it touch the heart of the Joe Sixpack in Alabama? Did it change the course of the river of cinema? Did it lead to many sequels? If not, then it's not worth talking about and I cringe at the thought that it would've won a prestigious Oscar in 2004. LOTR, Star Wars, Titanic, or any other movie that breaks the box office record are the only ones that matter. 

What do you think of my MacGyver impression? ;)

11 hours ago, KK said:

And the answer is, a lot of people do.

Remember, with gkgyver he literally only cares about Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. So he assumes that's how it is if for everyone, or at least he thinks that's how it should be.