What Is The Last Film You Watched? (2020 films)

Matt C

3 hours ago, AC1 said:

LOTR, Star Wars, Titanic, or any other movie that breaks the box office record are the only ones that matter. 

And are the kinds of movies that don't typically win awards. So it is rewarding to sometimes see the Academy descend from their ivory tower and give the awards to movies that people actually see...

trial-of-the-chicago-7-movie-review-2020

The Trial of the Chicago 7

Lots of Sorkin-esque repartee and talky montages to desperately spice up this court-room drama. But at the end, it's another clumsy, self-indulgent history lesson. Sorkin is not a very strong director. His words need interpreters to really stage and frame the ideas he puts to paper (ex. Fincher, Boye). And while there are some solid moments, largely because of their relevance to present day, it's a pretty superficial take on the ethos of its time and events. The eye-rolling reading of names at the finale, supported by Pemberton's vanilla string anthem certainly did the film no favours...

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Pity. I always thought that Sorkin was a decent writer. What do JWfaners think happened?

I liked Trial of the Chicago Seven.  You're going to let a couple of online posts decide whether you check out a movie or not?

Well if you subscribe to Netflix, it's free on that service.

If you don't subscribe to Netflix, and also don't want to start a free trial, I guess it has a limited theatrical run, or it'll be out on DVD/blu at some point, presumably

Depends on your personal moral code, I suppose

I think in Netflix's eyes, you going into his house and using his account when he's not present, or you using his account from your house when he's not present, is identical

No. One online account supports up to X number of simultaneous streams. 

He can only watch one at a time himself, unless he has a software program downloading a second stream simultaneously. (That’s probably stealing, but I digress.)

You're simply maxing out the full potential of his purchase. 

Just now, Naïve Old Fart said:

I'd rather go to his house...he has booze.

So you value his physical presence in addition to just his credentials. 

Awwwww. 

• 2 weeks later...

Screen-Shot-2020-11-12-at-10-11-17-PM.pn

His House

A delightful little find on Netflix. Remi Weekes' directorial debut follows on the latest tradition of using the horror genre as a vehicle for the political, this time focusing on the immigrant experience. And while the set-pieces aren't particularly novel or terribly scary, they're executed remarkably well (some great framing and effects). The whole film carries itself with a lot of confidence, supported by two great leads, and it never feels preachy or condescending in its message. There are fingerprints of Get Out andThe Witch all over this, but I enjoyed it more than either of Peele's films, to be quite honest.

The score, with all its wispy effects was kind of distracting and ineffective though. Hope this film gets more buzz.

The last three films I have seen at the theatre were Invisible Man, Tenet, and now Freaky. Two Low budget Blumhouse films and an outrageously expensive film. Tenet is by far the least of these films. 

Freaky was a fun Halloween/ Friday the 13th movie with a Disney twist. Vince Vaugh gives a fun performance similar to Jack Black in Jumanji. 

That doesn't say much in 2020. Sonic the Hedgehog, Dolittle and Bloodshot are likely to end up in my top 10...the way things are going. Who knows, maybe they'll even win some Oscars, by default. ;)

Karol

7 hours ago, Jay said:

INVISIBLE MAN and THE HUNT are easily the two best films I've seen this year

The Hunt was awful! 

Kaufman's new film was probably the best 2020 film I've seen so far. But as Karol says, the bar isn't very high.

I watched 30 films on big screen this year but only 4 since the pandemic started. Actually it's 29 since I watched Tenet twice.

And for the record, The Invisible Man was really solid but hardly great.

Karol

On 11/23/2020 at 9:10 PM, Brundlefly said:

Instrumentalizes political and social American issues for a cheap and gory thriller...

Oddly enough, I thought exactly that about JOKER. It was a film specifically designed to provoke, but it ended-up being cynical, and curiously empty. Ho hum.

9 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Oddly enough, I thought exactly that about JOKER. It was a film specifically designed to provoke, but it ended-up being cynical, and curiously empty. Ho hum.

The issue with Joker was that it was a straight-forward personal drama which wasn't able to seize and evolve upon the socio-structural dimension of its topic in the slightest way. As such, it is not the painful and honest experience it pretends to be - it's emotional Hollywood once again trying not to be emotional Hollywood.

On 11/1/2020 at 4:20 PM, Jay said:

Depends on your personal moral code, I suppose

I think in Netflix's eyes, you going into his house and using his account when he's not present, or you using his account from your house when he's not present, is identical

No it does NOT.  It is absolutely stealing. Ethics begin with each of us.

I agree...with Joe.

I'd never do anything like that, to a friend. Recently, I lost all internet connection, and the ability to e-mail, text, and telephone, but I needed to complete and send some online application forms, for jobs. I could have used my friend's wi-fi, as I know his code, but I asked him if I could use it (he said "yes", btw).

I'm not sure if that makes me "moral", or "ethical", but I knew that I couldn't take advantage of my friend.

7 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

No it does NOT.  It is absolutely stealing. Ethics begin with each of us.

Which one is stealing - walking into a neighbor's house and using their netflix account when they are not home?  Or using their account from your house when they are not at your house with you?  

Or both?

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

Which one is stealing - walking into a neighbor's house and using their netflix account when they are not home?  Or using their account from your house when they are not at your house with you?  

Or both?

I think he mean't both, his "it does NOT" was referring to "depends on your moral code" I think.

15 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Not exactly hyped for Mank, it looked for me like one of those "Oscar bait" movies that usually come out by the end of the year.

But I'll be happy to be wrong though.

I wouldn't exactly tell you it's not this type of a film as Academy loves biopics serving as award vehicles for their stars. The film certainly that...on the surface. 

But it is also certainly wittier and demanding more attention from its audience. The script is quite sharp. The direction is first rate. Like yourself, I generally dislike Oscar-bait dramas for their tediousness and safeness. This kept me engaged all the way through. I started watching after 11pm just to see what it looks like and ended up finishing it even though I had along and tiring day.

So yes, it is in a way WHAT you expect but not necessarily HOW you expect it.

Karol

Mank, second half of the movie.

Mank_Reel5_DailiesGrade_cropped_v200805_

Look at the ugly lighting and digital processing. I can honestly say that there was virtually nothing about Mank that appealed to me.