CE3K Suite - where is ‘When You Wish...’?

QuartalHarmony

Hopefully just a. quick one: on the Sony 1991 Spielberg/Williams Collaboration, track 13, where exactly is When You Wish Upon a Star interpolated? I don’t know my classic Disney songs as well as I know my JW themes, so it keeps passing me by.

A precise timecode for where on the track it starts would be great.

Thanks,

Mark

That’s it - thank you. Obvious when you know (well, for me at least).

Interesting that there’s no equivalent interpolation credit on the 1980 Boston Pops recording - anyone know if there were complaints that led to the footnote being included in 1991?

Mark

In 1977, Spielberg was visionary when he asked JW to include Disney music in his score!

When you wish upon a star...

Walt Disney Records | Disney Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

1 hour ago, QuartalHarmony said:

That’s it - thank you. Obvious when you know (well, for me at least).

Interesting that there’s no equivalent interpolation credit on the 1980 Boston Pops recording - anyone know if there were complaints that led to the footnote being included in 1991?

Mark

I don't have that other album you are referring to but I would be surprised if there isn't mention of it in the booklet credits, if indeed it is the same arrangement of Close Encounters containing On The Inside. If I'm not mistaken it was debuted by the Boston Pops on that album

I have the feeling that since '77, there were many many many different recorded arrangements of CE3K... recorded by others conductors and Williams too!

Someone made the count?

LAPO/Mehta (1978) is called 'Suite' but is pretty similar to the 1980 and 1990 recordings to my ears, including the interpolation of When You Wish... Excerpts is also on 2019's LAPO/Dudamel disc, and also on last year's VPO/Williams recording, but the version played on these recordings is shorter and I can't hear When You Wish on these. I think these are the only two versions of the piece

Anyone have access to the Hal Leonard full score? We could see which version that is.

Mark

1 hour ago, QuartalHarmony said:

Anyone have access to the Hal Leonard full score? We could see which version that is.

Mark

The Hal Leonard Signature Edition score is the version performed by Dudamel and the LA Phil, as well as Williams with the Vienna Philharmonic.

2 minutes ago, Matt S. said:

The Hal Leonard Signature Edition score is the version performed by Dudamel and the LA Phil, as well as Williams with the Vienna Philharmonic.

The previous versions NEVER EXISTED. 

:wizard:

the original score recording has the best performances by far

So you can make your "suite" Main Titles and Mountain visions, Arrival of the Visitors,Inside,Contact and End Titles

The original recording is remarkably "symphonic" in so far as it feels like the tempi are more free than in your average film score. Still, if I don't listen to the full score, Gerhardt and the Wiener recording are my go tos.