Digital VS Physical

mxsch

What way do you prefer?

I'm really want to start physical collection, but problem here that I don't have that much money plus shipping to my country is problematic so I'm stick with digital because this is the only way for me now, unfortunately. 

And another question, how do you prefer to listen to the scores after the first listen?

I mean for example from start to beginning, minus alternate versions/film versions, shuffle and e.t.c.

Do you like to make playlists?

For me the most "playlist-able" materials are middle to long action cues since I'm a big fan of stuff like that. 

6Physical, because I'm 46 yo. But I have Spotify too and I'm an absolute playlist lover!

I convert all my CDs in FLAC. First I like to discover the OST of a score, then I listen to the score as presented on the CDs, then I sometimes create C&C playlists including the source tracks (for some scores like Jaws, Poseidon Adbenrure, Towering inferno, etc it's fun!)

I rarely listen to the alt tracks.

If I was starting a collection from scratch, in 2021, I would buy the FLACs legally to start a digital collection.

If an album is available on CD, that's my preferred option to purchase because:

• I get lossless quality, which is mainly important if I ever end up doing any editing with the music.
  • I get liner notes; those can be virtually worthless in many wider releases, but the smaller boutique labels always have good stuff.
  • I automatically have a backup of the music without having to do any extra work.
  • I simply enjoy opening the box and appreciating the art direction, the smell, the physicality of the product. I get more excited opening a new CD to listen to it than I do buying digitally.

Once I've got the CD, it immediately gets burned onto my computer in a lossless format for archival purposes. For listening purposes, I transcode to high-bitrate AAC - in blind listening tests, I can't tell the difference between that and lossless.

If there's no physical release, I'll buy digitally. Often I'll go for high-quality stuff from HDtracks or whatever; if they don't have it or I just know I will never need a lossless copy, I may buy from Amazon.

In terms of sequencing, my listening habits vary. I never delete an album program, but I may supplement with my own playlists or edits. Depends on how much I care/know about the score, how much I enjoy the album's sequencing, whether there are any parts of the score I especially like or dislike, and so forth. I do sometimes listen to part or all of my collection on shuffle too. Just depends on my mood.

10 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

The decision has been made by the world. Those who like physical media can like it. The world has moved on.

Physical media will only ever be niche collectors items etc.

I mean, yeah, I don't think there's anything particularly controversial about that. It's just a question of whether one is interested in said collector's items. Personally, I am.

I also prefer physical books over ebooks, although right now I'm really appreciating all the ebooks my local library offers.

@The Big Man That would depend on the score and the degree of compression. Some scores take to compression better than others. Other aspects of the sound quality are more salient for me, though - the way it's miked and mixed has a far bigger impact on my enjoyment.

I can indeed think of one or two items where I have to choose between a medium-bitrate mp3 from an excellent source or CD-quality material from a terrible source, and I consistently pick the former. I can also think of one or two expanded releases that are compressed enough for me to prefer the OST.

As a collector, the physical package, the design and phenomenological aspect of reading the liner notes and tracklist is why I prefer CDs. Nowadays, because of the decline of sales and manufacturing to be usurped by the backwards technology of vinyl, I'm forced to buy digital scores which is very disappointing. It's almost the equivalent of what Kindle and e-books are to real books.

I've had a cassette/LP collection since the mid 80s, given to me by my dad.

I bought my first CD before many of you were born (1991-ish), and have amassed a collection of some 1500 CDs over the years (in addition to a few hundred LPs). And that's after probably some 500 have left the collection.

So physical albums will always be part of my life.

However, after I transferred all my CDs to iTunes some 7-8 years ago, I've rarely played them. The CD shelf stands in my apartment as a piece of furniture and statement about who I am. I hope to return to them more frequently in the future. But as of right now, I don't really buy CDs except for a select few titles on my want list. It's all digital files, whether promos or downloads. Occasionally streaming on Spotify, Youtube etc. for sampling.

I almost always play albums from start to finish. I'm not a "cue lover" per se. I am occasionally "forced" to make a playlist out of a C&C or overlong soundtrack to make it listenable, in cases where no previous OST alternative exists. I also occasionally make 'compilation playlists', but that's even more rare these days. Just don't have the time.

Eleven hours since anyone post on the JW section.😥

When the Martians invade and obliterate all your digital data with their EMP blast, I'll still have my library of books and CDs and DVDs to enjoy!

You know...at this point it depends on the score a little bit.

If would've asked me just 6 or 7 years ago I probably would've answered CD adamantly, but I have plenty of scores in Digital only as 1.) it's getting increasingly common for some scores to only be released via iTunes or something like that. Even still though, 2.) there are some scores that I am perfectly content with having digital only. Mostly things where I like the music, but don't think I'll ever dive in for more than a casual listen. There are several scores that I'd love to have on disc should they ever become available though.

As far as my preference, I still prefer CDs for many of the reasons listed above: lossless, effortless back-up, extras, plus it looks nice to display . So, typically it'll start with a CD purchase, then I'll rip to my PC in lossless after I enjoy it once through. I also have the same problem as @Thor in that after transfer to digital I don't really play the original discs, mostly to minimize wear and tear (I've seen what happens to discs that I listen to constantly).

When I comes to playlists, I commonly dive deep into the newly purchased score and create:

• C&C Playlist
  • Film Edit (If it's doable with the material)
  • Expanded Score playlist (for burning onto discs)

Now something I don't do is have all my music on my phone or something, I find that to be a tremendous waste of phone space and don't use my phone for music. Instead I will burn either CD clones or my own versions of scores onto disc that I want to listen to in the car. Otherwise, I've got my old iPod (which desperately needs replacing at some point). Lol. 

I prefer disc.

If the disc is OOP, hard to find, cost is significantly better, or if the release is digital exclusive, I have no problem buying digital.

I have no interest in streaming-exclusive releases, a thing that makes me as angry as a vinyl-exclusive release.  A few David Bowie live albums were released as streaming-only last year and I was mighty grouchy, but starting in November they've been trickling them out as limited edition CDs, so I've been buying.

1 hour ago, TSMefford said:

I also have the same problem as @Thor in that after transfer to digital I don't really play the original discs, mostly to minimize wear and tear (I've seen what happens to discs that I listen to constantly).

I can't even rip CDs anymore, as the new laptop I bought about two years ago has no CD-ROM drive. I know I can buy an external drive, but I haven't so far. For a couple of my recent acqusitions (like TROS, which I got on CD only 2-3 months ago), I already had a digital promo release from before, so it makes no difference. TROS went straight on the shelf with the plastic wrap intact. Same with LAST JEDI. But if I receive a rare CD that has no online equivalent, it's trickier. I got a few promotional CDs from composers in Berlin last year that I'm not able to rip, for example.

Heck, it was even difficult to get a laptop with the harddrive storage I needed. Most on sale had tiny harddrives. My old-school way of storing my entire music collection on my computer (about 225 GB) is out of fashion. It's all in "clouds" these days or whatever. But after some work, I found one that had 1 TB. If this was difficult now, I'm worried for the next computer purchase in a few years.

15 minutes ago, Thor said:

I got a few promotional CDs from composers in Berlin last year that I'm not able to rip, for example.

Just get that USB DVD writer already! It costs like 300 NOK. I even sent you an email about it!

:)

46 minutes ago, Thor said:

I can't even rip CDs anymore, as the new laptop I bought about two years ago has no CD-ROM drive. I know I can buy an external drive, but I haven't so far. For a couple of my recent acqusitions (like TROS, which I got on CD only 2-3 months ago), I already had a digital promo release from before, so it makes no difference. TROS went straight on the shelf with the plastic wrap intact. Same with LAST JEDI. But if I receive a rare CD that has no online equivalent, it's trickier. I got a few promotional CDs from composers in Berlin last year that I'm not able to rip, for example.

Heck, it was even difficult to get a laptop with the harddrive storage I needed. Most on sale had tiny harddrives. My old-school way of storing my entire music collection on my computer (about 225 GB) is out of fashion. It's all in "clouds" these days or whatever. But after some work, I found one that had 1 TB. If this was difficult now, I'm worried for the next computer purchase in a few years.

I tend to store things locally too. Keep in mind that external drives keep getting cheaper and smaller even as their capacities grow by leaps and bounds. I just got a 4TB drive the size of my wallet for less than 100 USD. Even if laptops with impressive internal drives are falling out of fashion, I don't see external drives going anywhere.

I suppose that's physically inconvenient when your computer is portable, though. Sorry, I'm more of a desktop guy, so my perspective is a little different. I guess there's always thumb drives? Looks like there are some 1TB models now.

9 minutes ago, Datameister said:

I just got a 4TB drive the size of my wallet

You must be loaded!

9 minutes ago, Datameister said:

I guess there's always thumb drives? Looks like there are some 1TB models now.

You get small, inexpensive USB drives that don't require additional power that hold at least 2 TB.

29 minutes ago, Datameister said:

I tend to store things locally too. Keep in mind that external drives keep getting cheaper and smaller even as their capacities grow by leaps and bounds. I just got a 4TB drive the size of my wallet for less than 100 USD. Even if laptops with impressive internal drives are falling out of fashion, I don't see external drives going anywhere.

I suppose that's physically inconvenient when your computer is portable, though. Sorry, I'm more of a desktop guy, so my perspective is a little different. I guess there's always thumb drives? Looks like there are some 1TB models now.

Yes, very inconvenient for me. I just want to click directly on what I want in my computer without plugging anything in. I only have one free USB port anyway, which I need to use for everything external (on rotation). The other two are permanently connected to the TV and stereo, respectively.

I do have an external harddrive that I use for backup, but that's it.

I will cling on to playing everything locally untill it is no longer possible.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

But don't you have everything stored in your iTunes library?

Well, yes, but iTunes reads directly from the harddrive folders.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I can't even rip CDs anymore, as the new laptop I bought about two years ago has no CD-ROM drive. I know I can buy an external drive, but I haven't so far.

My current desktop PC (slightly more than 2 years old now) doesn't have a front slot for physical drives, i.e. no way to fit a CD drive. When I was looking for affordable cases, it was either this or a more expensive & louder one. So I just bought a SATA-USB3.0 cable (for about €20 I think), put my (supposedly) internal CD drive next to the PC, and hook it up whenever I need it. The bonus is that I can also use the same cable to connect old hard drives.

I do rather like owning CDs - I suppose mainly because it means I physically own the music, and I do like nicely composed cover art, but you get that with a digital download.

If score releases ever become digital-only - fine by me. I already buy most major scores digitally, and when I got Dragon's Domain's release of Space Odyssey and it came with a download, I didn't really feel like I needed the CD copy.

27 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Oh, I thought you could have additional cloud storage connected to iTunes.

If you subscribe to Apple Music, you can upload your entire library into the cloud and then access your entire collection on any Apple device to stream.

I don't subscribe to any streaming service, nor will I for the foreseeable future. I'm old school and want it all on my computer. I use those services only for sampling new stuff, mostly Spotify (with ads included).

33 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

So I just bought a SATA-USB3.0 cable (for about €20 I think), put my (supposedly) internal CD drive next to the PC, and hook it up whenever I need it.

I checked out that option myself. Don't you need an external power for that solution to work?

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I checked out that option myself. Don't you need an external power for that solution to work?

The adapter has a SATA plug on one side and both an USB and a power supply on the other.

For 2.5" devices or SSDs (which have their own form factor I think), you don't need a power supply, because they're made for portable computers and require less power. I have a 240 GB SSD and a 2.5" USB adapter that I've been using instead of a standard USB drive for over a year now. It cost about as much as the faster 64 GB sticks go for and is much faster. It's bigger, but that just means I haven't misplaced it yet.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

I'm confused. I can buy a cable that connects my old 2004 Pioneer CD/DVD player to my laptop?

This is the one I have:

https://www.amazon.de/Inateck-Konverter-Adapter-Laufwerke-Netzteil/dp/B00N4JLNXM

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

The tech lingo is a bit over my head, but with that cable, can I insert a CD in my old player and rip it to my computer? 

If your CD drive has a SATA connector, you can use this cable to hook it up to your computer via USB (plus a standard power socket via a separate cable). The computer will recognise it like any other USB drive (e.g. stick or "proper" external CD drive).

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Of course, but the price with shipping is about the same as that of an USB DVD writer.

You can probably get it elsewhere for less shipping. In my case, it was better than a new drive, because I can also use it to hook up my countless old HDDs and also my Blu-ray burner (which has never been working properly, but that's a different story).

3 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

You can probably get it elsewhere for less shipping. In my case, it was better than a new drive, because I can also use it to hook up my countless old HDDs and also my Blu-ray burner

Good point.

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

You guys, Thor is talking about a DVD player he had under his TV, not a computer DVD ROM drive

That is correct.

I believe many modern players are essentially small Linux-powered PCs with standard hardware. In such cases, it might even be possible to take the drive out and connect it to a PC with that sort of adapter. Of course, you then couldn't use the actual player anymore. And 2004 hardware might still be different, too.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Does Pioneer make DVD Rom drives?

Yes.

11 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

That was not clear.

Sorry about that, but does the fact still hold true -- i.e. is it possible to connect a cable from my old, standalone CD/DVD player to my computer in order to rip CDs?