Digital VS Physical

mxsch

Thor, it appears that you can purchase on Amazon a Red/Yellow/White AV cable-to-USB cord, so it's theoretically possible to connect your old DVD player to your computer - and I would assume that since it exists, there is some way for your computer to read the data.  But what software you'd need from there, I'd have no idea where to start.  Seems incredibly niche.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

Sorry about that, but does the fact still hold true -- i.e. is it possible to connect a cable from my old, standalone CD/DVD player to my computer in order to rip CDs?

Well… Technically? Possibly. Practically? Hardly. A simple external drive is probably cheaper than the time the necessary research and fiddling with your player would cost.

43 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Thor, it appears that you can purchase on Amazon a Red/Yellow/White AV cable-to-USB cord, so it's theoretically possible to connect your old DVD player to your computer - and I would assume that since it exists, there is some way for your computer to read the data.  But what software you'd need from there, I'd have no idea where to start.  Seems incredibly niche.

That sounds like it would connect to the player's analogue outputs and then re-digitise the data for the USB input. Hence quality loss.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

All Thor or anyone else looking to do something similar needs to invest in is a simple USB DVD-Rom drive, like this random example I found online for $23

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07MJW5BXZ/

I recommend a device like this. It connects with only a single USB plug. 

I own an older external DVD burner that has two USB plugs. One is data, and the other is power. It won't work correctly in an unpowered hub, which steps it down to one, so you lose a USB port on your laptop to use the drive. Avoid these like the plague. 

I gave the old drive to my spouse, and bought a newer setup for myself. 

2 minutes ago, Darth Wojo said:

I recommend a device like this. It connects with only a single USB plug. 

I own an older external DVD burner that has two USB plugs. One is data, and the other is power. It won't work correctly in an unpowered hub, which steps it down to one, so you lose a USB port on your laptop to use the drive. Avoid these like the plague. 

I gave the old drive to my spouse, and bought a newer setup for myself. 

And then you divorced her?

2 hours ago, Darth Wojo said:

Did it really have two *separate* USB plugs? Or just one cable with two plugs? I've seen the latter multiple times, and the reason for them is that the device needs more power than the USB standard guarantees - hence two ports. One of them is used for data transfer and power, and if you connect the second one, it adds power. If your USB socket provides enough power, one connection is enough and you can use the second plug unconnected.

But obviously the necessity of using both becomes more likely if it shares an unpowered hub with other devices that also draw power.

Don't most computers post-2000 automatically come with an internal DVD player/burner CD-ROM? I don't think I've owned a computer since the early 2000's that didn't have one. I have an internal 4K Blu-Ray player/burner combo, but that's neither here nor there.

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Don't music computers post-2000 automatically come with an internal DVD player/burner CD-ROM? I don't think I've owned a computer since the early 2000's that didn't have one. I have an internal 4K Blu-Ray player/burner combo, but that's neither here nor there.

No, they more or less stopped including them a few years back. My last laptop had one (bought around 2010-ish), my new from 2018 did not, nor did the electronics store have any computers with CD drives. It's gone the way of the floppy drive.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Actually, if you search the webstores, there's usually a few options with an optical drive.

More on the business side I suspect. Everything else has become so thin these days that they not only stopped adding disk/disc drives, but also ethernet ports. I can understand the former, but having only WiFi really bothers me, because it's often too unreliable/slow for heavy duty stuff like streaming or video calls (I think I have a fairly good WiFi router at home, but I suppose I just have too many devices and appliances connected to it). I could get an ethernet/USB adapter, but then I'd also have to get a USB hub, because my private laptop only has one single USB port.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

...  nor did the electronics store have any computers with CD drives. It's gone the way of the floppy drive.

Yes, I noticed that too. A CD drive has become optional, even in huge computers.

49 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Yes, I noticed that too. A CD drive has become optional, even in huge computers.

For non-portable PCs, I think it's got to do with noise control. As I said, all the affordable silent cases I could find came without front slots. And considering that external drives are easily available and USB 3 fully provides the necessary transfer speed, it's a logical trade-off.

7 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Don't music computers post-2000 automatically come with an internal DVD player/burner CD-ROM? I don't think I've owned a computer since the early 2000's that didn't have one. I have an internal 4K Blu-Ray player/burner combo, but that's neither here nor there.

"music computers"?

10 hours ago, Thor said:

No, they more or less stopped including them a few years back. My last laptop had one (bought around 2010-ish), my new from 2018 did not, nor did the electronics store have any computers with CD drives. It's gone the way of the floppy drive.

That's bizarre... Must be more of a non-US thing. I don't think I've seen a computer (aside from a laptop) in-store that didn't have an optical drive, especially considering you need one to install some physical programs, games etc. I'll admit I build my own PCs nowadays so I don't usually look at computers in-store; that'd be stupid if they just suddenly stopped including optical drives.

We're years past the era where most computers came with optical drives.  Most computers these days absolutely do not come with them.

It makes sense to me.  If most people don't want/use them and there is a cheap, completely functional USB alternative, why not leave the drive out and manufacture/sell for cheaper?