Fabulin

If it would be just for Leaving Home, Trip to Earth and Growing Up I would always prefer Superman.

And the Supergirl main theme has unfortunately this frequent annoying "Pooiiiiii!" in it.

Apart from that both title marches are comparably good.

SUPERMAN, obviously.

SUPERGIRL has some great tracks, but also too much perfunctory stuff (especially on the expanded Silva release, which is what I owned once upon a time - I might be interested in checking out the OST at some point to see if it fares better there). It's also hampered by those godawful synth farts he overdid at the time.

I wonder which score @Yavar Moradi chooses. :)

1 minute ago, Thor said:

SUPERGIRL has some great tracks, but also too much perfunctory stuff (especially on the expanded Silva release, which is what I owned once upon a time - I might be interested in checking out the OST at some point to see if it fares better there).

There's a good 8-minute suite played by the LSO, conducted by Roy Budd.

Williams, but I really love the Goldsmith take on the mythos, he wrote some cracking good music for that old guilty pleasure of a movie. 

Not to mention that Helen Slater was extremely, erm, informative to me as a kid. Whenever I recall that soundtrack, it is her lovely secondary theme I instantly think about, rather than the main heroic one. 

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That’s a really good suite, and shows the score in its best light IMO.

I voted for Superman. Supergirl is far from a favorite of mine. I don’t love the theme, don’t generally care for the synth usage.

If we are talking purely action music Supergirl wins for me absolutely. I don’t actually like the action music in Superman all that much. In fact I don’t like the second half of Superman (score or film) all that much. But the first half of the score (and film) I just adore. I love all the initial origin stuff, from Krypton to Smallville to the Fortress of Solitude. Just incredible, iconic, powerful music.

Supergirl sounds cheesy and cheap by comparison...which maybe fits the terrible movie. (Really Superman 100% got the scoring it deserved, IMO...both for the first half and for the cheesy second half I didn’t like. But I do think that Supergirl’s score, cheesy as it is, is way better than the film deserved...)

Now if you ask this Goldsmith fan about Raiders of the Lost Ark vs. King Solomon’s Mines, the decision in favor of Williams is even stronger.

Yavar

16 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I don’t actually like the action music in Superman all that much. In fact I don’t like the second half of Superman (score or film) all that much. But the first half of the score (and film) I just adore.

:up:

11 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's probably because compared to the first half, the second half sounds like a rushed draft.

Might agree but it has been ages since I put on Supes. 

As much as I'm a Goldsmith fan, but in this poll I had to vote for Williams. 

Superman is top 5 Williams for me. As for Supergirl, I've heard the OST a few years ago but I can't remember anything. Maybe it's time for a revisit.

9 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Interesting. I thought the only re-recording of any of the Supergirl music was the main theme performed by the Cincinnati Pops on their Superheroes album (which has mysteriously badly mixed strings so you can barely hear the tirelessly over the top string writing). I was always disappointed that it never seemed to have appeared on any other compilation (silva screen always uses the original soundtrack recording on their compilations for obvious reasons).

I remember seeing Jerry at the Royal Albert Hall and he did Supergirl. So much more energy and precision than the original album to be honest.

However, in answer to the original question... Superman. I mean it’s a classic. And Jerry didn’t exactly have much to work with. Shame we don’t get to see a glimpse into the parallel universe where he scored Superman. I think he’d have done an amazing job. I do kinda understand the people who find the first half of Superman superior but the film is one of two distinct halves and Williams scored each half expertly. The second half is just a much more traditional action movie so Williams scored it as such but the first half of the movie offers much richer scoring opportunities.

2 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

One is a Masterpiece and the other is another okay score by Jerry from a forgettable film.

what he said.

18 hours ago, publicist said:

Both are overrated, though i pity Goldsmith more for having to spend these long days on this Salkind turkey. Williams at least had a visionary movie (dated as it may be).

Superman is not overrated. You post shows how underrated it is. This is John at some of his very best. For 42 years this is a top 5 JW score.

Don't misunderstand me. I love Endgame. It was the best score of 2019 hands down. But Superman is beyond any Avenger score.

I am not looking at the musical quality but rather on the effectiveness of the piece in the movie, and I am not a fan of the Superman march. Anyway, I think in general a march is not a good musical genre for a superhero theme.

And in the movie the Avengers theme works perfectly.

Apart from the march, yes, the Superman score is far better, but the comment was just about the theme.

3 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

And in the movie the Avengers theme works perfectly.

I'm not saying what you posted was bad, I'm admittedly not a fan of the avengers theme or scores but that piece you posted could be inserted into so many action movies without people ever knowing it's the avengers theme.

Supermans Theme is just in another universe. Pun intended.

21 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

I'm not saying what you posted was bad, I'm admittedly not a fan of the avengers theme or scores but that piece you posted could be inserted into so many action movies without people ever knowing it's the avengers theme.

Supermans Theme is just in another universe. Pun intended.

Where I agree with you, the Superman march worked from day one. I think, the first time I really recognized the Avengers theme was in the Infinity War trailer. Now I find it very recogizable and perfect as a superhero theme.

And apart from my issue with the military march, when you take out the love theme part from Superman then it is just... a march.

9 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

And apart from my issue with the military march, when you take out the love theme part from Superman then it is just... a march.

Why would you take the love theme out of the Superman march?

52 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Why would you take the love theme out of the Superman march?

I wouldn't. It is the best part. But luckily Williams did it the other way round and took out the march from the Love Theme for once.

Why did I point this out? I like the one and the other not. So, I like them to be separated. Maybe it's again my secondary theme thing.

He, he. It's touching how JS has latched on to Roy Budd, of all people. I mean, I love a lot of his work myself -- but mostly the 60s jazz and funk stuff, not so much the orchestral material (it's okay).

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

He, he. It's touching how JS has latched on to Roy Budd, of all people. I mean, I love a lot of his work myself -- but mostly the 60s jazz and funk stuff, not so much the orchestral material (it's okay).

Well, I only really like his Phantom score, and his two LSO albums with space and fantasy music (although unevenly played).

6 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

If I were to listen to a single funk track by Roy Budd, which one should I listen to?

Phantom of the Opera.

2 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

That was funky all right, but it has more than one track.

Just choose a random one. Or perhaps the long final track.

15 minutes ago, Thor said:

not so much the orchestral material (it's okay).

But have you heard his Phantom of the Opera?