Fabulin

17 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

If I were to listen to a single funk track by Roy Budd, which one should I listen to?

The opening theme from GET CARTER, his magnum opus. It also happens to be one of my alltime favourite films.

On 1/6/2021 at 12:29 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

I think it might be this recording.

Entertaining recording and pretty robust performance! Have to admit that the suite is a bit messy in the choices and how they fit together, rather flits from one thing to another, but enjoyable fun none the less. Certainly a fine alternative to the original and much better strings than the Cincinnati recording where the strings are almost completely submerged in the mix (which is harsh given those endless runs in the love theme). I may have to check out the rest of the Budd album though...

3 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Entertaining recording and pretty robust performance! Have to admit that the suite is a bit messy in the choices and how they fit together, rather flits from one thing to another, but enjoyable fun none the less. Certainly a fine alternative to the original and much better strings than the Cincinnati recording where the strings are almost completely submerged in the mix (which is harsh given those endless runs in the love theme). I may have to check out the rest of the Budd album though...

The gem of his Fantasy album is the suite from Alfred Newman's The Mark of Zorro - to this day the longest recording we've got from that score!

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The gem of his Fantasy album is the suite from Alfred Newman's The Mark of Zorro - to this day the longest recording we've got from that score!

Awesome, gotta love some swashbuckling Newman, A!

On 1/11/2021 at 8:47 PM, Tom Guernsey said:

OK, bit tacky to quote yourself but have been giving the Supergirl suite a few more listens and really enjoying it, even if it's not the most coherent suite ever! Plus the main theme performance towards the end is a bit clipped and not as sweeping as it should be, but great to hear those endless string runs sounding so brilliant. I was amused by the fact that the first three notes of the villain theme appear at the end of the love theme before the reprise of the main theme right at the end. Wonder if someone left a single bar in the transcription by mistake!