Moonraker, License to Kill, and Tomorrow Never Dies expanded releases almost happened but are now on hold

MattyO

Oh what could have been! MV posted these comments on a post in a James Bond Music page I follow. Hopefully the red tape gets cleared when NTTD finally gets released.

“Correction to everyone.  It's not Eon. They are amazing to work with. It's two fold

1. The new movie delays. No one wants any older soundtracks out before the new movie arrives. Don't ask. This is the case with Top Gun and has been the case in the past (ie Xmen films and Apes films). The studios for some bizarre reason usually do not want any new soundtrack out of something old while the new one is coming out. 

2. Capital Records, now UME, and MGM were right in the middle of renegotiating terms on all the Bond soundtracks right when Corona hit so it put the kibosh on things. 

So that is why no new Bond for the moment. We were actually planning 3 at the time...moonraker (40th anniversary) license to kill(30th anniversary) and tomorrow never dies but all on hold”

He also mentions in another comment that OHMSS was also discussed.

As to MV’s first point, I’d have thought that the extensive delays to the new film would open up EON to wanting something, anything to get released that keeps Bond out in the zeitgeist. Might as well make use of the extra time by working out merchandise deals. Likewise I hope EON are at least using this time to start planning the next Bond film.

As to MV’s first point, I’d have thought that the extensive delays to the new film would open up EON to wanting something, anything to get released that keeps Bond out in the zeitgeist. Might as well make use of the extra time by working out merchandise deals. Likewise I hope EON are at least using this time to start planning the next Bond film.

5843A7F3-45E2-4A5E-8216-C5FF58C4480C.jpeg

Oh my that would have been a release to get! 

The movie holding things up does not surprise me actually. This often comes from the filmmakers too - they don't want any confusion, any baggage, nothing. Reasonable? Rational? Doesn't matter - it just is what it is.

I wonder if MGM being up for sale is now another wrinkle to wait out?

On Moonraker, have the masters been found? I heard they had been lost in France so we only have the album tracks. I don't even think the music exists as a separate track from the film mix at this point.

There was a Tadlow kickstarter (which I backed!) to re-record the whole film but someone on the Bond side blocked it, and the thing was scrapped (fortunately before they charged our credit cards).  Can't believe that was 5 years ago!

Anyway, some day we'll see these 3 scores. 

A while back I had a dream that LLL was doing an exclusive John Barry Bond box set which was primarily being produced by Neil S. Bulk. Even in the dream I was freaking out. And then I woke up. LoL. 

It would be amazing to finally get a complete release of Moonraker. Especially to get the great Freefall cue from the start of the movie, it's such a great arrangement of the Bond theme.

lairdo With regards to the tapes for Moonraker, I don't think they have ever been missing. Dan Wallin brought them back to England after recording sessions to do some extra mixing.  I recently read somewhere too that they have already been digitised.

I never thought much to the LTK soundtrack but maybe a complete score release could change that. TND is Arnold's best Bond score.

Now we at least know pre- Arnold scores are in LLL domain!

Great news!!

"....finally get a complete release of Moonraker. Especially to get the great Freefall cue from the start of the movie, it's such a great arrangement ..."

Hopefully, they won't include the circus music😒

36 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Now we at least know pre- Arnold scores are in LLL domain!

Great news!!

"....finally get a complete release of Moonraker. Especially to get the great Freefall cue from the start of the movie, it's such a great arrangement ..."

Hopefully, they won't include the circus music😒

I didn't think the circus music was composed by Barry or maybe that was Octopussy. If it is included, let's hope it's not in the main score presentation.

1 hour ago, AJM said:

I didn't think the circus music was composed by Barry or maybe that was Octopussy. If it is included, let's hope it's not in the main score presentation.

I like Barry's ost program that combined cues.

I'd be happy if that was remastered with bonus tracks like TLD was done.

There might be some unused cues in there that I would love to hear.

4 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I like Barry's ost program that combined cues.

I'd be happy if that was remastered with bonus tracks like TLD was done.

There might be some unused cues in there that I would love to hear.

Barry's OST program was a good but feel like a complete chronological sequence would fair better. The original album would be very easy to recreate anyway providing cues are not combined.

The sequencing of the Rykodisc & 2003 remasters was terrible having the OST first and bonus tracks after. Same goes for LTK, not really that impressed with the OST sequence.

7 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I really hope they put their efforts on unreleased material.

OHMSS received a comprehensive release and shouldn't take   priority over MWGG...MR...AVTAK etc

Agreed. It can certainly come later, but the one we have now isn't bad, especially if you put it in film order.

4 hours ago, mstrox said:

if you start expanding John Barry's Bond scores, I'll be there.

So, basically, more of the same then. ;)

8 hours ago, Cameron007 said:

Agreed. It can certainly come later, but the one we have now isn't bad, especially if you put it in film order.

TLD...DAF....OHMSS can all be programmed in order.

YOLT can't,  but I have a cdr someone made for me that puts it in order.

I needed that pre credits as in the film!

6 hours ago, mstrox said:

I've never felt the desire for more of Arnold's scores, but if you start expanding John Barry's Bond scores, I'll be there.

DAD is the one that.most needed expanding. The rest....😗

Glad they got to do The World Is Not Enough in time, as that was the crucial David Arnold score that didn't get a complete release or a bootleg earlier. Would love to listen to a complete Tomorrow Never Dies not sourced from the iso score as well, needless to say.

Don't have much interest myself in expanded Arnold Bond scores, but just because you have it doesn't mean other people have it!  The Tomorrow Never Dies expansion is long out of print and expensive, so it merits a re-release anyway as far as I'm concerned.

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, mxsch said:

I'm really hate EON for this dumb strategy. Nothing will happen to the marketing of NTTD if this scores will be released, expect hardcore fans will be pleased.

Agreed. EON is in need of some positive fan support, they should just get it done.

Yeah I think the initial delay was EON wanting to avoid "confusing the market" while promoting NTTD, but now it's an issue with MGM freezing their assets in preparation for sale.

Go figure. I bet whoever made that decision at EON regrets it now; they were apparently very happy with what LLL were doing.

6 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Yeah I think the initial delay was EON wanting to avoid "confusing the market" while promoting NTTD, but now it's an issue with MGM freezing their assets in preparation for sale.

As if everyone would think they were remaking Tomorrow Never Dies.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Yeah I think the initial delay was EON wanting to avoid "confusing the market" while promoting NTTD

There's something going on inside the head of a suit somewhere, for which 'confusing the market' is a friendly term.

At most, 5000 or so score fans will notice and buy an expansion. Hundreds of millions will see the new film. This executive needs a reality check.