Ludwig Göransson's Black Panther vs. James Horner's Avatar

Edmilson

LG vs JH  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which score do you prefer? Ludwig Göransson's Black Panther or James Horner's Avatar

• Avatar (2009) - composed by James Horner
    • Black Panther (2018) - composed by Ludwig Göransson

In both scores, the composers are heavily inspired by the musical traditions of Africa and South America, mixing traditional instruments and voices with an orchestra to create the sonic world of Wakanda and the Na'Vi.

But who did it best? Ludwig Göransson with African music in Black Panther or James Horner with Native American music in Avatar?

I really enjoyed Avatar. It was epic culmination of all of Horner’s trademarks from the last decade at that time. He re packaged those in a way that somehow felt fresh (to me at least)

But I fell completely in LOVE with Black Panther. I have been a fan of Goranssons work since “Community”. Creed showed me what he could do on a big Hollywood production. I adored his fusion of hip hop r&b elements with Conti-like orchestrations. I knew he would bring an equally inspired /fresh/heroic sonic palette to a gigantic Marvel movie with an Afro futuristic setting. And he didn’t disappoint me. I’m also in awe of him even getting the gig. I’d equate it to Elfman getting Batman 89’ after only a series of small quirky films. Love love love this score.

Agreed. Horner had a fantastic gift for lyrical beauty in his thematic writing. 

I think Goransson is capable of writing some great themes and I’m sure his style will evolve over the decades.

Easiest poll in a while

Black Panther is just another 2010s superhero score

IMO!

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Avatar is probably the biggest score letdown of my life.  I was anticipating that one so much back in 2009.

The movie lost me. Obnoxious greenie propaganda disguised in blue. The score is nice though.

I love that we can have these super easy polls once in a while.

AVATAR is a masterpiece, one of Horner's very, very best. And as such, one of my favourite soundtracks of all time.

BLACK PANTHER is annoying, yet another Bil Conti Lite effort from the hack that is Göransson.

For me it's not as clear-cut: Avatar is one of Horner's late, very compromised works, full of shallow, wannabe-trendy blockbuster concessions - the only thing that keeps it afloat is the remarkable technical achievement (of mixing orchestra, synth and ethnic instruments). Content-wise, it's really no big shakes. Black Panther isn't anywhere near Horner's level of craftmanship, but it sounds more engaged/honest, even if that doesn't amount to much, either. Both are a solid 3.

4 hours ago, publicist said:

Avatar is one of Horner's late, very compromised works, full of shallow, wannabe-trendy blockbuster concessions

Agreed. This is why I was never much of an Avatar fan. It's orchestral writing is filled with modern stuff, which is disappointing for a composer like Horner.

That said, there's a few great unreleased tracks that I do like. 

Some of the brass parts are great, but the real irony is of course the undeniable fact that Avatar is an almost verbatim copy of Mighty Joe Young, right down to its native chorus and African percussion. So Avatar is hailed for many things that Horner conceived for a saccharine Disney children adventure movie no one saw.

Mighty Joe Young ain't a bad score... it's a by-the-numbers Horner effort which doesn't offend. I much prefer Deep Impact from the same year. Sorry, getting a bit off-topic. :unsure:  

I don't quite see the connection between MIGHTY JOE YOUNG and AVATAR, other than that they both have ethnic instrumentation. MJY is OK, but it's not even in the same league as AVATAR.

How times have changed. Back in 1998, everyone found it a crushing bore, which it is. The Sony album is atrocious. 

And that Thor doesn't hear the striking similarities between MJY and Avatar is a dear reminder that even though we've just changed years, some things will never change.

Ludwig's effort is the more earnest one, and probably more authentic/intriguing integration of African colours/textures. But as unoriginal and comprised as it is, Avatar just easily has the better. more ambitious writing, which speaks more to Horner's superior skillset and experience when it comes to the orchestra. So Avatar makes the more entertaining package.