Cobra Kai - Show and Music appreciation

WampaRat

Didn’t see a thread for this one yet. But this show is the perfect blend of sincerity and camp. And not a drop of cynicism.  And the same goes for the scores by Leo Birenberg and Zach Robinson. Love the handful motifs and themes that have developed over the course of three seasons so far.

Any Fans? 

Hurray! 
Yeah the 80s Metal sound worked in the show but I wasn’t compelled to listen to it by itself. But then they began to blend it more with the orchestra as it went on and I could tell they were really starting to develop some themes and leitmotifs. It’s just a blast!

season 3 score just dropped today. 

“Secrets of Miyagi Do” what a track! Almost a John Powell “Kung Fu Panda” level of fun.

Yeah I’m not such a big fan of the original films/scores (I like them fine...this show is better!) that I’m one of those who goes gaga every time a Conti theme is referenced. But when I started noticing the recurring themes for each of the two karate dojos I was hooked! That final episode of season 1 in particular has some really badass versions of each which were super satisfying in context.

Yavar

39 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

Didn’t see a thread for this one yet. But this show is the perfect blend of sincerity and camp. And not a drop of cynicism.  And the same goes for the scores by Leo Birenberg and Zach Robinson. Love the handful motifs and themes that have developed over the course of three seasons so far.

Any Fans? 

Of course, I'm smack in the middle of the target audience. I have two memory candidates for when I saw the original film for the first time -- both of them around 1986-ish, and both at someone's house, and in both instances renting the VHS. I was 9 or 10. So the film and whole KARATE KID universe is ingrained in my DNA.

I absolutely loved the first season of COBRA KAI, but the subsequent seasons have been a bit hit and miss. Still hoping for Hillary Swank to return at some point in season 4. Not likely, but we're allowed to hope.

As for the scores, they're a bit hit and miss too. Here's my review of the first season soundtrack from a couple of years back: http://celluloidtunes.no/cobra-kai-zach-robinson-leo-birenberg/

Bless this poor kiddo who interviews the composers. (Warning: he calls the score cues “songs” in several instances;) But it’s a decent hour long interview with the composers who go into their process, their musical backgrounds etc. A decent way to get to know the guys behind the scores and appreciate their methodology and concepts a bit more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Thor said:

Nice, but still no news about Hillary Swank, alas.

I mean, Swank is great and her lending more star power to this excellent series would be cool... but The Next Karate Kid is so bad I wouldn't be terribly upset if this series didn't consider it "canon" (the show already opted to ignore Mr. Miyagi's spoken first name in that film, in favor of his written first name as seen in Karate Kid II). I'm nervous enough about it rehabilitating Karate Kid III (but it can probably manage that). But the fourth film really is garbage, IMO.

Yavar

Spoiler

Did anyone else think Hawk’s “redemption” in this last season seemed a bit too sudden? They went from having him break his best friends arm to saving the day waaay to quickly in my book. 
Like within 3 episodes.

Frankly I thought he should have gotten the crap kicked out of him (or SOMETHING) to to humble him a bit more before he decided to be the hero again. But maybe they’ll play with that in season 4…

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can’t wait to watch this today. This show is blast!

(I still think Hawk’s “redemption” was waaaay to sudden after breaking his best friends arm. Hopefully he goes through some measured penance in this season.)

EDIT: Watched the first 4 episodes while waiting for the New Year last night. I will say I’ve been appeased in my need for Hawk’s punishment;)

Also, I love how they’ve stayed consistent with the different musical themes in the show. It just adds to the ridiculous drama about community karate clubs 😆But that’s the genius of this show. They straddle that line perfectly between being sincere and not taking things too seriously. I don’t how they do it. 

Just finished this season.

Its good. But kiiinda starting to get repetitive. Characters are making the same dumb mistakes that (after three prior seasons) should be learned by now I feel. But it adds to the melodrama about waring karate clubs I suppose. Interested to see what season 5 will do. But I really hope they don’t stretch it past that. 

I've finished it too. I like it, but like you I'm getting tired of all the constant "nuance", i.e. people led astray in all camps, and evolving back and forth so there are no proper good guys or bad guys anymore. I suppose it's more realistic that way, but THE KARATE KID was never about realism. It was a fantasy and a coming-of-age story set within that fantasy. So I wish it was anchored a bit more. Constant nuance means lacking proper involvement.

So the digital edition will be sold/streamed as two separate volumes, while LLL's physical edition combined both together and has extra music

va-10.jpg

Details for ‘Cobra Kai’ Season 4 Soundtrack Albums Revealed

The full details of the soundtrack albums for the Netflix original series Cobra Kai have been revealed. The Vol. 1 & Vol. 2 albums feature the original music from the show’s fourth season composed by Leo Birenberg (Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous, PEN15, Son of Zorn, Red Army) & Zach Robinson (Good Sam, Impractical Jokers: The Movie, F*&% the Prom). Also included on the Vol. 1 album is Carrie Underwood’s cover of Survivor’s song The Moment of Truth. The soundtracks will be released digitally tomorrow, January 7 by Madison Gate Records. Check back on this page for the streaming/download link. A 2-CD expanded edition will be released by La-La Land Records and will be available to order on the label’s official website tomorrow. Both labels have previously released Birenberg’s & Robinson’s score from Season 1, Season 2 and Season 3. Cobra Kai is developed by Josh Heald, Jon Hurwitz & Hayden Schlossberg based on The Karate Kid features and stars Ralph Macchio, William Zabka, Xolo Mariduena, Mary Mouser, Tanner Buchanan, Courtney Henggeler and Martin Kove. The first four seasons of the series are now available to stream on Netflix.

Here’s the track list of the Vol. 1 album:

1. It’s Karate Time (3:26)
2. Dueling Speeches (1:11)
3. Marching Orders (1:08)
4. The Thrill of Skills (2:59)
5. Dark Miyagi-Do (1:07)
6. We’re Just Getting Started (1:03)
7. Passion and Principle (1:14)
8. My Right Way (1:45)
9. Mecha-Robby (1:15)
10. Killer Instinct (1:56)
11. Fangs of Fury (1:56)
12. The High Ground (1:37)
13. Kenny’s Rage (1:53)
14. Semifinal (0:30)
15. Cobra Kai is Gonna Die (1:22)
16. Countdown (2:13)
17. The Main Event (1:40)
18. SDO (3:26)
19. Give ’em All You Got (0:40)
20. Shirts Off (1:59)
21. Victory (0:46)
22. The Fellowship of the Dojos (2:06)
23. A Final Match for the Ages (2:34)
24. Bonsai Badass (3:34)
25. Illegal Strike (1:25)
26. Queen Cobra (2:17)
27. Defeat (1:12)
28. Streets of Reseda (0:58)
29. Screwed Everything Up (1:14)
30. The Fight I Have to Face (2:13)
31. Too Much at Stake (1:01)
32. The Moment of Truth – Carrie Underwood (3:47)

Here’s the track list and cover art of the Vol. 2 soundtrack:

1. Like Old Times (2:06)
2. Divide and Conquer (0:59)
3. You’re Not Getting What You Want (0:45)
4. Land a Hit (2:11)
5. Rip the Bandaid Off (0:55)
6. Okinawan Sparring Deck (2:31)
7. Basketball (1:37)
8. No Be There (0:56)
9. Balboa Park After Dark (1:45)
10. Catch a Fish (1:50)
11. Sensei Silver (2:03)
12. Cobra Fly (0:59)
13. Our Way is the Right Way (1:29)
14. Ghost Boy (1:45)
15. Miyaguel (1:16)
16. Terry’s Lesson (2:05)
17. Drive In, Stand Off (1:45)
18. Turn Fear into a Weapon (1:39)
19. Whose Side are You On? (0:56)
20. The Only Way Forward (1:22)
21. Not Here to Fight (0:56)
22. Let’s Finish This (1:37)
23. A Storm of Senseis (2:24)
24. The Price of Mercy (2:17)
25. Committee Meeting (1:24)
26. Twisted Silver (1:51)
27. Weakness (1:09)
28. Level 1 Karate (1:39)
29. Always be my Sensei (1:55)
30. Remember the Cage (2:07)
31. Breaking and Entering (1:33)
32. Three-Headed Snake (2:49)
33. Prom Punch-out (1:31)
34. I Love You (1:43)

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2022/01/06/details-for-cobra-kai-season-4-soundtrack-albums-revealed/

Also MV confirmed autographed copies will be available so order right away tomorrow if you want one

On 05/01/2022 at 10:32 AM, Thor said:

I've finished it too. I like it, but like you I'm getting tired of all the constant "nuance", i.e. people led astray in all camps, and evolving back and forth so there are no proper good guys or bad guys anymore. I suppose it's more realistic that way, but THE KARATE KID was never about realism. It was a fantasy and a coming-of-age story set within that fantasy. So I wish it was anchored a bit more. Constant nuance means lacking proper involvement.

If there wasn't *some* degree of nuance in the original Karate Kid, there wouldn't have been enough fodder for this fine TV series which led off on the premise that Daniel LaRusso was the aggressor in the original story, and Johnny Lawrence the protagonist if seen from the right angle. And there's plenty in that film which lends credence to a sympathetic perspective of Johnny -- it's clear in the final battle that he doesn't want to "sweep the leg" when Kreese tells him to, and in the end he's actually congratulating Daniel at the end! (LOL that they kinda conveniently forget about that detail for the Cobra Kai series, actually...with Johnny going on and on about the "illegal kick" like a sore loser!)

I find Cobra Kai incredibly involving, to be honest -- moreso than the original Karate Kid films which it clearly loves to bits!

Yavar

I dug the first couple of seasons too, but as I said -- the constant back and forth is getting a bit tiresome now. While there was plenty to enjoy in the latest season, I'm not sure how long they should keep milking this.

The original films are in a whole other league for me, due to the indelible nostalgic connection I have to them (especially the first).

12 minutes ago, Thor said:

I dug the first couple of seasons too, but as I said -- the constant back and forth is getting a bit tiresome now. While there was plenty to enjoy in the latest season, I'm not sure how long they should keep milking this.

The original films are in a whole other league for me, due to the indelible nostalgic connection I have to them (especially the first).

I have that same nostalgic connection to the original films (even the third, which I never really liked but even still found extremely memorable). Somehow this new series has deepened the things I loved about the original films while largely fixing a lot of the things I didn't like much! Maybe they'll even find a way to work in Hillary Swank before the series ends, and redeem that steaming pile of trash fourth film which somehow even made Karate Kid III seem good in comparison.

I think they are judging well how to handle things, bringing back old characters at the right time and generally developing the story well. Fan service without the cringe factor, somehow. It's really impressive and I trust them enough at this point that I'll be very surprised if they mess it up or let the series drag on longer than it should.

IMO Season 3 was actually an improvement on Season 2, which lacked direction to some degree.

Yavar

On 6/1/2022 at 10:53 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

I find Cobra Kai incredibly involving, to be honest -- moreso than the original Karate Kid films which it clearly loves to bits!

In terms of characters, the best scripted show on TV. 

The first season was good because it felt like they reversed the good/bad roles. It was the funniest season as well. Now I don't find myself laughing all that much anymore. 

• 7 months later...