Cobra Kai - Show and Music appreciation

Didn’t see a thread for this one yet. But this show is the perfect blend of sincerity and camp. And not a drop of cynicism.  And the same goes for the scores by Leo Birenberg and Zach Robinson. Love the handful motifs and themes that have developed over the course of three seasons so far.

Any Fans? 

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only just started it but it's just what I felt like. I never knew I wanted a Karate Kid TV spin off (I wasn't even all that big on the original films).

Yes, yes, that's the show I watch because of these cute guys.   There's music in this series?  

Didn’t see a thread for this one yet. But this show is the perfect blend of sincerity and camp. And not a drop of cynicism.  And the same goes for the scores by Leo Birenberg and Zach Robinson. Love t

Hurray! 
Yeah the 80s Metal sound worked in the show but I wasn’t compelled to listen to it by itself. But then they began to blend it more with the orchestra as it went on and I could tell they were really starting to develop some themes and leitmotifs. It’s just a blast!

season 3 score just dropped today. 

“Secrets of Miyagi Do” what a track! Almost a John Powell “Kung Fu Panda” level of fun.

Yeah I’m not such a big fan of the original films/scores (I like them fine...this show is better!) that I’m one of those who goes gaga every time a Conti theme is referenced. But when I started noticing the recurring themes for each of the two karate dojos I was hooked! That final episode of season 1 in particular has some really badass versions of each which were super satisfying in context.

Yavar

39 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

Didn’t see a thread for this one yet. But this show is the perfect blend of sincerity and camp. And not a drop of cynicism.  And the same goes for the scores by Leo Birenberg and Zach Robinson. Love the handful motifs and themes that have developed over the course of three seasons so far.

Any Fans? 

Of course, I'm smack in the middle of the target audience. I have two memory candidates for when I saw the original film for the first time -- both of them around 1986-ish, and both at someone's house, and in both instances renting the VHS. I was 9 or 10. So the film and whole KARATE KID universe is ingrained in my DNA.

I absolutely loved the first season of COBRA KAI, but the subsequent seasons have been a bit hit and miss. Still hoping for Hillary Swank to return at some point in season 4. Not likely, but we're allowed to hope.

As for the scores, they're a bit hit and miss too. Here's my review of the first season soundtrack from a couple of years back: http://celluloidtunes.no/cobra-kai-zach-robinson-leo-birenberg/

Bless this poor kiddo who interviews the composers. (Warning: he calls the score cues “songs” in several instances;) But it’s a decent hour long interview with the composers who go into their process, their musical backgrounds etc. A decent way to get to know the guys behind the scores and appreciate their methodology and concepts a bit more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...