Jerry Goldsmith's LOONEY TUNES: BACK IN ACTION (2003) - 2021 2CD Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

5 hours ago, publicist said:

That you own Warlock but not Night Crossing is a gross injustice.

In fact I purchased Warlock because it got a Saturn nomination. Last year I had 0 CDs of Goldsmith in my CD collection hehe.

You have to start somewhere, thanks for the suggestion!

Night Crossing is great

1 minute ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Geez, there's an awful lot of "additional music by", isn't there.

Is this because of reshoots, or Jerry's failing health?

Health

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Health

Yes I think it always been documented that Goldsmith was too ill to complete the movie. So I expected this "expansion" to show more material not written by Goldsmith. But I also expect to have EVERYTHING he had time to record himself.

I have to listen to the unused score of Timeline. For this one and about changes made to the movie again and again Goldmith really said: fuck it!

It's an energetic, sometimes rousing score that sounds a bit too much like his 90's action stuff. Richard Donner lost, by his own account, the reason for making the movie during the long production process and was embarrassed by its badness. Both old men decided at some point they had given it what they could and just let it be.

But people in advance screenings complained about the music, too, so this toxic combination led to a costly rescore. For a movie that made 22 Mio $ at the box office. That's Hollywood for you.

4 minutes ago, publicist said:

It's an energetic, sometimes rousing score that sounds a bit too much like his 90's action stuff. Richard Donner lost, by his own account, the reason for making the movie during the long production process and was embarrassed by its badness. Both old men decided at some point they had given it what they could and just let it be.

But people in advance screenings complained about the music, too, so this toxic combination led to a costly rescore. For a movie that made 22 Mio $ at the box office. That's Hollywood for you.

You are talking about Timeline?

1 minute ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Why do you say that, Bes? Tintin is a serviceable score, to a risible film. It's easily the best part of that mess.

I had The BFG in mind when I wrote that hehe

6 minutes ago, publicist said:

He should go out on a ballsy Ollie Stone pic.

And well, if Rise of the Skywalker is the last one, thats okay for me too.

So according to the tracklist, is it possible to determine the % of music really wrote and recorded by Goldsmith for his last score?

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

US Marshals does little for me outside of the theme in “The Pen”

He wrote a theme for a pen? Geez!

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I think I will never like Extreme Prejudice.

What a narrow-minded thing to say.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

He wrote a theme for a pen? Geez!

I'm not au fait with that score, but it might mean "penitentiary".

1 minute ago, The Big Man said:

It's mightier than the sword.

The genius of the restoration.

It's "mais". Silent s.

Fucking silent Sss in French hehe. But it's here to change the sound of the vowel.

Mai (like the month of may, sounds exactly like may)

Mais (like but... well I don't think you have this vowel in english... hmmm, well perhaps like the Sport team, the Mets, is this vowel sound, without the "ts")

I want at least one more Spielberg so that the last film Spielberg made in John's lifetime isn't West Side Story with David Newman

EDIT: This reads like I am upset about David Newman which I never, ever am. I just want another great project for Williams, too

I don't own the original OST, so I happily ordered this Deluxe Edition. The fact the final part of the score was MIA has always disturbed me, so I am waiting for such an edition on CD since... 2003.

I am curious about the samples, which I found not very well chosen (they doesn't show the potential of this score IMHO), but maybe it's just me.

5 hours ago, Bespin said:

And well, if Rise of the Skywalker is the last one, thats okay for me too.

So according to the tracklist, is it possible to determine the % of music really wrote and recorded by Goldsmith for his last score?

Yes. 

It’s noted on track list which cues Debney and others worked on.  And the liner notes have interviews with Debney and co, so we should get a clear picture. 

16 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

No, a collaboration with Alfonso Cuaron.

Both would be fine, though Cuaron is more of a wild card. Williams penning a 15-minute score with simple guitar chords for a Netflix movie like Roma would be at least a change of pace and of course would be a great fuck you to the Star Wars guys here and elsewhere.

3 hours ago, publicist said:

Both would be fine, though Cuaron is more of a wild card. Williams penning a 15-minute score with simple guitar chords for a Netflix movie like Roma would be at least a change of pace and of course would be a great fuck you to the Star Wars guys here and elsewhere.

Whoever the collaborator is gonna be, that is the essence of what his last work should be like.:lol:

8 hours ago, The Big Man said:

I mean sure, it's a more low key score that doesn't draw much attention to itself. But when someone mentions "minimalism", I think of Philip Glass.

Philip Glass doesn't.