Nigel Westlake's BABE (1995) - 2021 Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

Hey Yavar...

Re reshoots. Don't think so. The original is based on a book . it's fairly faithful to it.

PITC wasn't recut either . It's possible the music was changed a bit. It was an ill advised production that died a rightful death. Only highlight was the roundup scene with that great CHIEFTANS cue

21 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Hey Yavar...

Re reshoots. Don't think so. The original is based on a book . it's fairly faithful to it.

Huh? I never said anything (and don’t know anything) about reshoots.

Yavar

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Huh? I never said anything (and don’t know anything) about reshoots.

Yavar

On FSM....

43 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

You did, but Twitter deleted it.

Watch it ..... You don't want to join Gyvet in the Phantom Zone😝

3 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

On FSM....

I never said anything about reshoots on FSM. I don't know anything about reshoots for either film. I *do* know that Jerry Goldsmith scored a longer cut of Babe than that which was released, and there are reports I've read that the cut scenes were removed because of concerns that the film was too dark. Then someone at FSM posted about something similar apparently happening to the sequel film, which also resulted in the removal/rejection of the majority of what composer Nigel Westlake wrote for that.

I still don't know how you arrived at "reshoots".

Yavar

I always thought that the tapes for Babe would have been lost considering they made an Orchestral Re-Recording release a few years back. Glad to see there will finally be a score-only album, cannot wait since there are many references to classical music in this score, similar to that of Land Before Time, etc.

34 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Yavar seems to.be suffering from short-term memory loss.

No that would be you pal. Anyone can go to the FSM thread and see that I never once said anything about reshoots. :sarcasm:

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=142649&forumID=1&archive=0

Yavar

Don't worry. I won't.

You take offense where none is intended. I was trying to illuminate the issue you " never once " asked about or discussed.

Not a single word!

Here is how normal people react to an offer of help- even if it's UNSOLICITED.

Screenshot_2021-01-08-19-39-36~2.png

Screenshot_2021-01-08-19-40-40~3.png

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I never said anything about reshoots on FSM.

I still don't know how you arrived at "reshoots".

Yavar

Never said " anything" ...never ASKED people to " share information"

Screenshot_2021-01-08-20-00-19~3.png

Ok Bruce. Sorry for being grouchy with you, and glad you enjoyed the re-recording. It wasn't that I "took offense" so much as got annoyed, because you kept saying stuff about "reshoots" when all I'd ever heard or discussed about Babe was that Jerry scored a longer cut of the film. Scenes can be simply cut without reshoots.

I really liked the re-recording but after reading comments about it having some slower tempos and such I'm particularly excited to (re)discover the original recording in this new definitive edition from Varese.

Yavar

Well I’m not the one who claimed the sequel was cut (or recut). Someone else at FSM did that, and someone else asked about reshoots, not me. All I did was say the same thing I’ve been saying here: I haven’t heard anything about reshoots on Babe or it’s sequel. I just know that Goldsmith supposedly scored a longer (and “darker”) cut of the film. I think we are getting frustrated and talking past each other. It was Dylan who asked about reshoots on FSM:

591FFF7A-3EC4-4211-8891-A9B246EE6640.png

I was just responding in general to the discussion you were participating in. . I'm banned, remember?😅

I've read the book BABE was based on and the film is faithful in plot and tone ( iirc the bit about Fly getting the secret code was invented for the film).

So, I don't think Jerry scored a " darker" version. As you said, there are some very dark undertones as is.

My theory as I stated at INTRADA, is he scored it in a more serious , dramatic fashion and the producers wanted something lighter. Westlake adopted a bombastic style for the action scenes , probably much different than Jerry.

Hopefully, we get.to.hear what he wrote someday.

The sequel went the song score route.

Dan Goldwasser heard it from Jerry himself, Bruce. Check out this old FSM thread from almost seven years ago (at the time it was still being debated whether or not Goldsmith actually recorded anything in Australia, as this was before my interview with Robert Townson which settled it that he definitively did not):

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=102554&forumID=1&archive=0

3156A397-E0F4-49D1-A246-3CD9593BD3EE.png

My guess is that there may have been more explicit stuff involving animal slaughter (maybe Babe’s mom?) than what ended up in the finished film. It would make sense, for a darker vision. Jerry was notoriously kinda squeamish so I’d trust his memory relaying the story to someone only a decade or less later.

Yavar

12 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

D'oh!

I just bought the rerecordings😰

The rerecorded score is fifty seven minutes.

Don't know VSD

Where did you get your copy of the re-recordings? I've been trying to find them lately, by chance!

And I am excited for this release!

Fyi

The rerecordings has a specially composed piece based on the SS theme that is amazing.

It's like on of those great concert arrangements JW does..e.g. " E.T and Me".😊

After I bought the rerecording I purchased  a budget priced copy of the sequel- I only wanted it for a single track- and made a ' deluxe' two disc set#

I may have to make it into a THREE DISC set!

20210109_112524_HDR.jpg

Happy ending then!

21 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

SS theme

I didn't know there's Nazis in this movie.

On 1/8/2021 at 7:55 PM, bruce marshall said:

I just bought the rerecordings😰

On 1/9/2021 at 1:50 AM, The Big Man said:

I've got the ABC re-recording from a few years ago.

Is it a good re-recording?

56 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

So @Yavar Moradi, what's the reason JG quit so close to the finishing line?

It is my understanding that it was a bit of a Timeline situation, except in this case the score was rejected before he recorded any of it (a week before the sessions were supposed to begin in Australia), and before he had finished writing it. Presumably he was going to write score for the last ~12% of the movie during that week — doesn’t make sense to do that if you’re already off the project! And what he did with his time instead was a (put together last minute) classic rerecording for Varese Sarabande. You can hear Robert Townson tell all about it in my interview with him:

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/1301242-odyssey-interviews-robert-townson-part-1
https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/1361503-odyssey-interviews-robert-townson-part-2

(Sorry, I don’t remember now when in the conversation it comes up.)

As to why his score was rejected (no doubt just based on a few synth demos which can’t have given a fully accurate impression of his composition)...who knows, exactly? I have heard different things...one is that the cut of the film he scored was a longer (and darker) cut. So like Timeline there may have been some re-editing involved at some stage which necessitated a lot of new/redone score cues, and Goldsmith either wasn’t willing or wasn’t able (because of his schedule) to do that.

But I’ve also heard (weirdly) that Jerry’s score was too “light” for someone in charge! Something along the lines of what happened with Powder (but that score was left in the film). That’s strange to me because the final Westlake score is fairly light itself. So maybe after the tone of the film was reimagined to be less dark, Jerry’s original score might have fit, but at the time when he scored the darker cut, his music was deemed to be a poor fit? In any case I think someone expressed that to him and he said sorry, I don’t have the time (or perhaps inclination) to redo this — the Timeline link.

We may not get any further insight until we hear his composition recorded and can judge it with our own ears. So...who’s gonna start a Kickstarter to do that? :) All of his written cues are waiting right here:

http://collections.new.oscars.org/Details/Archive/71303062

It’s kinda funny that the Westlake score got a complete rerecording several years ago (and now has a complete release of the original recording), while the Jerry Goldsmith score has yet to be recorded even once...

Yavar