New Jerry Goldsmith Projects in 2021?

Brundlefly

The traditional thread for speculations about future Jerry Goldsmith releases of any kind - expansions, re-releases, re-recordings. It's only the 8th of January, but I was already too late to create that thread, before the first release of this year was announced - let's see that as a good sign.;)

Releases that happened in 2017:

- Thriller re-recording by Tadlow

- Poltergeist II: The Other Side improved re-release by Intrada

- Papillon expansion by Quartet

- One Little Indian improved re-release by Intrada

- The Haunting expansion by Varese Sarabande

- Damnation Alley expansion by Intrada

- The Russia House expansion by Quartet

Releases that happened in 2018:

- Rambo III improved re-release by Intrada

- Thriller 2 re-recording by Tadlow

- Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend improved re-release by Intrada

- 100 Rifles improved re-release/Rio Conchos re-release by La-La Land

- Small Soldiers expansion by Varese Sarabande

- The Mummy expansion by Intrada

- The Lonely Guy expansion and premiere CD release by Intrada

- The Reincarnation of Peter Proud premiere release by Intrada

Releases that happened in 2019:

- Warning Shot improved re-release/Archer premiere release by La-La Land

- Raggedy Man re-release by Varese Sarabande

- Barnaby Jones premiere release by La-La Land

- Planet of the Apes/Escape from the Planet of the Apes improved re-releases by La-La Land

- Air Force One expansion by Varese Sarabande

The Great Train Robbery improved re-release by Quartet

Releases that happened in 2020:

- The Swarm improved re-release by La-La Land

Morituri improved re-release by Intrada

U.S. Marshals expansion by Varese Sarabande

Take Her, She's Mine premiere release by Intrada

- Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea expansion by La-La Land

The Don Is Dead premiere release by Intrada

- The Last Castle expansion by Intrada

- Von Ryan's Express/The Blue Max re-releases by La-La Land

- The Detective re-release/The Flim-Flam Man expansion by La-La Land

- Inchon improved re-release by Intrada

This Year's Releases:

- Looney Tunes: Back in Action expansion by Varese Sarabande

Face of a Fugitive premiere release by Intrada

Along Came a Spider expansion by Varese Sarabande

- Lionheart expansion by Varese Sarabande

- The Stripper expansion/S*P*Y*S expansion by La-La Land

- Rio Conchos re-recording improved re-release by Intrada

Shamus premiere release by Intrada

- Caboblanco expansion by La-La Land

The Public Eye premiere release by Intrada

Extreme Prejudice expansion by Intrada

The Russia House re-release by Quartet

- Love Field expansion by Varese Sarabande

- Legend            expansion by Music Box

- Masada expansion by Intrada

Potential Releases:

1. Timeline - only OST exists, surefire seller
  2. Hollow Man - only OST exists, surefire seller
  3. The 13th Warrior - only OST exists, must be licensed out by Disney, surefire seller
  4. Mulan - only OST and FYC exists, must be licensed out by Disney, surefire seller
  5. L.A. Confidential - only OST exists, surefire seller
  6. 2 Days in the Valley - only posthumous OST exists, moderate seller
  7. Angie - only OST exists, moderate seller
  8. City Hall - only OST exists, good seller
  9. Malice - only OST exists, moderate seller
  10. Matinee - only OST exists, good seller
  11. Rudy - only OST exists, good seller
  12. Six Degrees of Separation - only OST exists, bad seller
  13. The Vanishing - expansion almost complete, moderate seller
  14. Medicine Man - only OST exists, must be licensed out by Disney, surefire seller
  15. Mr. Baseball - only OST exists, bad seller
  16. Mom and Dad Save the World - only OST exists, moderate seller
  17. Not Without My Daughter - expansion almost complete, however: lost elements, bad seller
  18. Leviathan - only OST exists (potential expansion by Quartet), surefire seller
  19. The 'Burbs - expansion missing alternates, surefire seller
  20. Innerspace - expansion almost complete, surefire seller
  21. Supergirl - expansion almost complete, must be licensed out by Silva, surefire seller
  22. The Final Conflict - expansion almost complete, surefire seller
  23. Damien: Omen II - expansion already complete, surefire seller
  24. MacArthur - only OST exists, surefire seller
  25. Twilight's Last Gleaming - only posthumous OST exists, good seller
  26. The Cassandra Crossing - expansion already complete, good seller
  27. High Velocity - only posthumous OST exists, good seller

Black = only OST or no release at all exists

Red = expanded, but not complete

Orange = complete, but in exigent need of a reissue or a remaster

Blue = any of those categories, owned in perpetuity by Varese Sarabande

Man that's a great, versatile collection of releases in 2020!

Wow, that's a TON of Varese perpetuity left to expand - 16 of the 34 options!

For 2021 my top Jerry wish is still just MULAN

But I'd love to have a newly done, definitive edition of THE BURBS, INNERSPACE, LEGEND, and SUPERGIRL for sure!

Out of all Varese perpetuity, I think I remember reading that Medicine Man and LA Confidential have some nice music that wasn't on the OST albums, right?

Any score I didn't mention I'm just not familiar enough with to know how much I'd like those scores or not!

20 hours ago, Jay said:

Man that's a great, versatile collection of releases in 2020!

No kidding! It was a WAY stronger year for Goldsmith fans than 2019 (which was still pretty damn good!)

In 2019 there were basically five reissues (I include Warning Shot which actually had a bit more music as well as Planet of the Apes which restored certain overlays and sweeteners, and had a lot better sound quality), one substantial expansion, and two (short but great) TV episode score premieres.

In 2020 by contrast there were again five reissues (I'm including Inchon in that despite being 46 seconds longer because several cues premiered in crossfade-free discrete versions, but not including either Morituri or The Flim-Flam Man as they were actually outright *missing* a bit of music before). But on top of that there were no less than FIVE expansions (though as noted two were fairly minor expansions) and two surprise feature film score premieres!

20 hours ago, Jay said:

Wow, that's a TON of Varese perpetuity left to expand - 16 of the 34 options!

To be fair, Brundlefly only went back to 1976's High Velocity with his list. There is a LOT more unreleased/unexpanded Goldsmith out there than his 34 options, so Varese is a much smaller percentage of that than they are of his list (and only four remaining Goldsmith titles they control go earlier than his 1976 starting point: The Other, The Mephisto Waltz, Our Man Flint, and In Like Flint... so they won't make a huge dent, percentage-wise).

20 hours ago, Jay said:

For 2021 my top Jerry wish is still just MULAN

Hopefully Disney makes up their minds whether they want to tackle it themselves (and hurry up and DO it!) or pass it on to Intrada to produce (like they did with The Rescuers Down Under).

20 hours ago, Jay said:

But I'd love to have a newly done, definitive edition of THE BURBS, INNERSPACE, LEGEND, and SUPERGIRL for sure!

Me too. MV has strongly hinted that LLL has a new edition of the complete Innerspace in the works (their previous edition sold out super fast at 3000 copies). Supergirl rights apparently lie with Silva Screen who released their expansion in the 90s, so who knows when that'll get a new edition. The same might be true of Legend, with the added caveat that James Fitzpatrick (who produced the Silva edition) claims that they included everything that survived of the score in decent sound. So (as with Link from around the same time) the poor-sounding complete bootleg may forever remain the only option for additional music beyond that. As for The 'Burbs, Varese Sarabande revealed that Robert Townson took the rights to that title when he left the company. They can't issue a new edition of it, and he sadly doesn't seem interested in starting his personal label Masters Film Music back up again. The existing OOP Deluxe Edition might remain the final word on that score...

20 hours ago, Jay said:

Out of all Varese perpetuity, I think I remember reading that Medicine Man and LA Confidential have some nice music that wasn't on the OST albums, right?

Medicine Man is missing ~12.5 minutes that are in the film (plus possibly recorded but unused cues or alternates we don't know about, of course): https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=109823

As to whether it's "nice music"...it's Medicine Man! Of course it is...

As for L.A. Confidential, I don't know if I'd describe any of it as "nice" but there's a substantial chunk of music unreleased on CD, though as with Rudy and Hollow Man it is available on a legit DVD isolated score track (which many have extracted and booted onto "album"). The sound is pretty good though it is of course lossy (DVDs don't have uncompressed audio like CDs and Blu-rays do, unless they are the defunct DVD-A audio format of course.)

Yavar

If Roger Feigelson is to be believed, apparently it is possible to assemble Legend from complete elements:

...The expanded Unicorns track was available on the original Film Trax CD and the Japanese CD. I have no idea why it was dropped from the expanded editions. There’s one more unreleased cue that I can think of. And those masters do exist.

19 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

If Roger Feigelson is to be believed, apparently it is possible to assemble Legend from complete elements:

I think the context makes it a little vague whether that's what he's saying (he may have just been talking about a cue or two). If you read the whole thread you'll see Roger didn't clarify when I asked him to. It would directly contradict James Fitzpatrick (and I think also Mike Ross-Trevor). But if Intrada knows where to find the complete Legend elements I certainly hope they see their way to producing a complete release for the score! For those curious a fan did a complete breakdown of the score here:

http://www.figmentfly.com/legend/music4.html

Yavar

Well since LLL started their Goldsmith @ 20th,  I imagine the Fox titles will start trickling back out. 

For me I’d like a definitive version of MacArthur.

Hollow Man, 13th Warrior and Timeline would be my next choices. 

I don’t know how much is missing from The Mephisto Waltz but The Others would be another title to add.

Here's the good news: if you're really new to Goldsmith, there are like 100 other great scores for you to discover which aren't outrageously expensive. And while you are taking the time to acquire and explore those, some of the other OOP ones will come back. :) That's the advantage with a composer as consistently prolific and strong as Goldsmith.

Yavar

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

I'm only interested in OOP scores.

Who do you think I am?

What about " incomplete scores".

Remember where you are, son!

1 minute ago, The Big Man said:

Really though, if you already have these scores on CD or whichever, what more from these scores do you really want? What essential must-have tracks were left off the three, count-'em--three Lionheart albums?

You're asking ME?!

Ask Thor😛

Isn't HOLLOW missing that essential cue that plays right after Kevin Bacon farts?😝😜

Iirc there's also a five minute suspence track consisting of a sustained synth drone.

I'm dying to have that one on CD#

I think of those listed, Mulan would definitely be at the top of the list. The Oscar promo is pretty complete as far as I know but there are a mixture of unofficial versions with extra tracks, so it would be good to have a "definitive" release with the various known alternates (such as the hair cutting sequence). It really is a terrific score and severely let down by the official album. I quite like the songs, but wouldn't miss them, plus you get his absolutely splendid arrangements, particularly the choral version of Honour To Us All in the opening titles. I always thought it was a shame that Goldsmith effectively highlighted the songs in his concert suite when he could easily have prepared an alternative suite of music from the score highlighting his own music.

Of this others, it would be nice to have the complete rejected score to Timeline (think there's about another half hour missing), would happily hear more of Medicine Man and Legend (although that's one I'd controversially enjoy a couple of the cues in orchestra version only to= enjoy them without the synths, but only as alternates). I'm sure there must be something missing from Rudy but since it's pretty repetitive as it is (albeit using some superb themes) I'm not sure an expansion would add much? Not sure I've ever seen the film. Lionheart certainly would be nice to release in a "definitive" version rather than choosing between the single disc and two volume versions, albeit allowing for the iffy performance. I'm sure Tadlow could do it justice.

1. Timeline - only OST exists, surefire seller
  2. Along Came a Spider - only OST exists, moderate seller
  3. Hollow Man - only OST exists, surefire seller
  4. The 13th Warrior - only OST exists, must be licensed out by Disney, surefire seller
  5. Mulan - only OST and FYC exists, must be licensed out by Disney, surefire seller
  6. L.A. Confidential - only OST exists, surefire seller
  7. 2 Days in the Valley - only OST exists, moderate seller
  8. Angie - only OST exists, moderate seller
  9. City Hall - only OST exists, good seller
  10. Love Field - only OST exists, good seller
  11. Malice - only OST exists, moderate seller
  12. Matinee - only OST exists, good seller
  13. Rudy - only OST exists, good seller
  14. Six Degrees of Separation - only OST exists, bad seller
  15. The Vanishing - expansion almost complete, moderate seller
  16. Medicine Man - only OST exists, must be licensed out by Disney, surefire seller
  17. Mr. Baseball - only OST exists, bad seller
  18. The Public Eye - no release exists, good seller
  19. Mom and Dad Save the World - only OST exists, moderate seller
  20. Not Without My Daughter - expansion almost complete, however: lost elements, bad seller
  21. Leviathan - only OST exists (potential expansion by Quartet), surefire seller
  22. The 'Burbs - expansion missing alternates, surefire seller
  23. Innerspace - expansion almost complete, surefire seller
  24. Lionheart - expansion already complete, surefire seller
  25. Legend - expansion almost complete, however: lost elements, must be licensed out by Silva, surefire seller
  26. Supergirl - expansion almost complete, must be licensed out by Silva, surefire seller
  27. The Final Conflict - expansion almost complete, surefire seller
  28. Caboblanco
  29. The Boys from Brazil - expansion already complete, surefire seller
  30. Damien: Omen II - expansion already complete, surefire seller
  31. MacArthur - only OST exists, surefire seller
  32. Twilight's Last Gleaming - expansion almost complete, good seller
  33. The Cassandra Crossing - expansion already complete, good seller
  34. High Velocity - expansion almost complete, good seller

Just found out that Timeline is much too pricy to just casually buy it.:(

22 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Lionheart certainly would be nice to release in a "definitive" version rather than choosing between the single disc and two volume versions, albeit allowing for the iffy performance. I'm sure Tadlow could do it justice.

That is one of several scores that has been unavailable for too long now. Intrada should also re-release their longest OOP score The Boys from Brazil. Everything that is older has either been reissued or is still in print.

1 minute ago, Brundlefly said:

Just found out that Timeline is much too pricy to just casually buy it.:(

If you don't mind (lossless) digital, it's available on 7Digital: https://uk.7digital.com/artist/jerry-goldsmith/release/timeline-music-inspired-by-the-film-5333966?f=20%2C19%2C12%2C16%2C17%2C9%2C2

I have the SACD version (I think) which I can't seem to re-rip so am seriously contemplating getting it in FLAC. I don't begrudge his estate £15.

You need new material!

On 8/29/2017 at 1:31 PM, mstrox said:

I have to be honest with you, I don't think Jerry will be taking on any new projects this year.

On 1/3/2018 at 10:20 AM, mstrox said:

I don't think Jerry is taking on new projects in 2018.

On 1/16/2020 at 3:19 PM, mstrox said:

I don't think Jerry is taking on new projects in 2020.

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I don’t believe Jerry will be taking on any new projects in 2021.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/9/2021 at 8:28 AM, Jay said:

Roger revealed that Intrada has at least 3 Goldsmith titles planned for 2021 here:

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=11&threadID=140317&archive=0

(Jan 30th post)

And we now know what one of them is... anyone who hasn't listened yet should check out this Soundtrack Spotlight which really showcases what Face of a Fugitive has to offer:
74cb75bab2243992e98fab5156007185827084cf

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/8192306-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-face-of-a-fugitive-1959

And within four days Varese announced a substantial Along Came a Spider expansion from the opposite end of Jerry's career. So far 2021 has averaged out to one Goldsmith release per month! Methinks your list may end up being quite generous this year, @Brundlefly!

Yavar

• 1 month later...

7 Goldsmith releases so far this year and we're less than a week into May... :o

Following 12 (!!) Goldsmith releases last year in the midst of a global shutdown.

Bloody good time to be alive for Goldsmith fans! If Williams expansions were coming out this swiftly, Mike would run out of scores by next year :lol:

On 5/4/2021 at 4:23 AM, Brundlefly said:

I takes a lot of work to keep this thread updated...

I know, and kudos to you for doing it... afraid I've got some suggested revisions I hope you won't mind...

On 1/8/2021 at 2:43 PM, Brundlefly said:

- Damnation Alley premiere release by Intrada

- The Stripper re-release/S*P*Y*S expansion by La-La Land

In the LLL/MV questions thread at FSM recently, MV wrote, "SPYS and STRIPPER are remastered and expanded...also includes Jerry's one FLAMING STAR track".

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm/cdID/79/

Check out that link, and you'll see that the original FSM release of The Stripper never claimed it was complete (it only claimed that Nick Quarry, its disc companion, was complete)...since the End Title cue was included twice on that album -- once in damaged stereo and once in undamaged mono -- I'm going to assume that, like Morituri, some parts of it had to be left off because they were too damaged, but modern technology has allowed them to be repaired (a la Morituri or Take Her, She's Mine from Intrada). It may not be a substantial expansion but it will be expanded and probably significantly improved in sound quality.

Furthermore, I recall you saying in a previous year's thread that you chose to call Intrada's Damnation Alley a "premiere release" because even though the previously-unreleased music on that was just around 10 minutes or a third of the score, it was the first release outside of the expensive and long OOP Varese box set Jerry Goldsmith at Fox. I disagreed with that but fine... but now we arrive at S*P*Y*S and you call it an "expansion" even though it is an identical situation to Damnation Alley. It was only ever available (19 minutes, and probably a similar percentage of the score even) on the Goldsmith at Fox box and this is its first release outside of it. So either you should be calling it a "premiere" or you should finally call Damnation Alley an expansion. There is literally no difference betwen their situations except that S*P*Y*S took four more years to "escape the box" in expanded form.

- Poltergeist II: The Other Side improved re-release by Intrada

- One Little Indian re-release by Intrada

- Rambo III improved re-release by Intrada

- Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend improved re-release by Intrada

- 100 Rifles improved re-release/Rio Conchos re-release by La-La Land

- Warning Shot improved re-release/Archer premiere release by La-La Land

- Planet of the Apes/Escape from the Planet of the Apes improved re-releases by La-La Land

The Great Train Robbery improved re-release by Quartet

- The Swarm improved re-release by La-La Land

Morituri improved re-release by Intrada

- The Detective re-release/The Flim-Flam Man expansion by La-La Land

- Inchon improved re-release by Intrada

One Little Indian should be changed to "improved re-release" by your standards. Quoting from your own post of Doug's announcement text here:

"this new edition does include slight re-mastering and very modest changes to booklet design"

It's slight but still an improvement/tweaking. And according to a couple of people on the FSM threads, that may also apply to LLL's new Goldsmith at 20th Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 from this past December...but I don't think that was confirmed by the label so I won't bug you about changing those. :) As for Morituri, it's less obvious than The Flim-Flam Man because the latter actually added a whole new track, but Morituri is actually more of an expansion (with over a minute's more music added, which had been trimmed out because of damage on the FSM) than The Flim-Flam Man, where the new cue is only 51 seconds...

- Voage to the Bottom of the Sea expansion by La-La Land

- Van Ryan's Express/The Blue Max re-releases by La-La Land

"Voage" instead of "Voyage" and "Van" instead of "Von" are simple typos but they've been bugging me. ;) Almost done...

1. Twilight's Last Gleaming - expansion almost complete, good seller
  2. High Velocity - expansion almost complete, good seller

Black = only OST or no release at all exists

Red = expanded, but not complete

Inaccurate description for these two. While neither of them was released at the time of their respective films, the existing albums are not expansions, but the premiere album programs. (Check Soundtrackcollector.com if you like; High Velocity was only released once in the mid 90s by Prometheus, and Twilight's Last Gleaming has been reissued but the program has never changed/been expanded at all.) So, these should probably fall under your black category rather than red. I'm pretty sure they are each missing less than 5 minutes of music (High Velocity is missing less than 3 minutes of music that's in the film, and all of it is very low-key suspense stuff so no huge loss unless there are unused cues.)

Finally, I'm not sure if The Final Conflict (four cues missing) or Legend (there is a poor-sounding 2 CD bootleg with a decent chunk more, and see link here: http://www.figmentfly.com/legend/music4.html) quite qualify as "almost complete", but I guess if it's close enough for you that wording can be subjective. Is there a reason why you left off Link and Under Fire? Both of those have only ever had their OST released/reissued, but are missing quite a decent chunk of music because sources are lost. Under Fire seems totally MIA except for the music-and-effects track used on the Twilight Time Blu-ray release (so many cues totally obscured by shouting, gunfire, etc.) while Link technically has a poor sounding complete bootleg just like Legend and Mom and Dad Save the World, but no source for the complete score in good sound.

Yavar

2 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Is there a reason why you left off Link and Under Fire? Both of those have only ever had their OST released/reissued, but are missing quite a decent chunk of music because sources are lost.

I didn't want to include the incomplete scores that got a recent confirmation of having elements that are lost to time (like yet another re-release of the OST or a DVD containing an isolated music track with sound effects). Complete scores of these poping up will make an unexpected surprise one day.:)

2 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

S*P*Y*S took four more years to "escape the box" in expanded form.

Does that mean there's hope for The Mephisto Waltz and The Other escaping the Varese license as well? These two are screaming for a 2CD relase in the Goldsmith at 20th series!:)

Caboblanco - only posthumous OST exists, moderate seller

Twilight's Last Gleaming - only posthumous OST exists, good seller

High Velocity - only posthumous OST exists, good seller

What's a "posthumous OST"? After the (death of the?) film? Because Jerry was definitely alive when those scores were released.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

I didn't want to include the incomplete scores that got a recent confirmation of having elements that are lost to time (like yet another re-release of the OST or a DVD containing an isolated music track with sound effects). Complete scores of these popping up will make an unexpected surprise one day.:)

I mean, sources for things are found all the time. Stuff turns up -- look at how Batman and Die Hard got revisited, for example. We hope the same happens with Hook, obviously. So I think there's always hope for something like Under Fire, Link, or Legend. And if you're going to exclude Under Fire and Link because of lost elements, why include Legend or Not Without My Daughter?

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Does that mean there's hope for The Mephisto Waltz and The Other escaping the Varese license as well? These two are screaming for a 2CD relase in the Goldsmith at 20th series!:)

The best hopeful indicator for those two comes from LLL working out a sub-license from Varese (as well as Fox of course) on Jerry's two Planet of the Apes scores. But who knows what the current situation is like? S*P*Y*S was never in the same boat as The Mephisto Waltz or The Other. Varese gave those two scores (and the Flint scores, and a bunch of others) regular releases in the 90s, and that's why they have perpetuity rights to them. They were excerpted in the box, yes, but they weren't premiered in it. Varese didn't get perpetuity rights to anything that was new to the box (the last three out of six discs). There would be no reason to -- they were just planning to sell their 1500 copies of the box and that was it.

Intrada later released a bunch of scores complete (or close to complete) that had previously unreleased music included on the last three discs of that box: Alien, Shock Treatment, Fate Is the Hunter, Von Ryan's Express, The Detective, and of course Damnation Alley.

It was clear that Varese maintained no rights so S*P*Y*S finally escaping the box like those scores doesn't mean anything more than any of those did, and certainly has no bearing on The Mephisto Waltz or The Other since those were not premiered on the box set or even in the limited edition CD Club at all -- they were standard, regular releases, hence the perpetuity rights.

On the other hand, I do hold out hope that LLL may be expanding other Goldsmith things at Fox in their new Goldsmith at 20th series... and that's why I made this post going through all the stuff it could be:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33272-goldsmith-at-20th-new-series-of-releases-by-la-la-land/&do=findComment&comment=1762880

Yavar

12 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

And if you're going to exclude Under Fire and Link because of lost elements, why include Legend or Not Without My Daughter?

Their is no "recent" confirmation of the elements still being lost. Regarding Under Fire, Legend and NIMH we have one that isn't much older than five years.

It was clear that Varese maintained no rights so S*P*Y*S finally escaping the box like those scores doesn't mean anything more than any of those did, and certainly has no bearing on The Mephisto Waltz or The Other since those were not premiered on the box set or even in the limited edition CD Club at all -- they were standard, regular releases, hence the perpetuity rights.

Too bad. I thought this was another perpetuity license giveaway.:(

What's a "posthumous OST"? After the (death of the?) film? Because Jerry was definitely alive when those scores were released.

I just looked it up and I didn't even know that the term (as well as the German equivalent) necessarily means that the creator of the respective content has to have died. I just used it as "belated", which in this context means that the soundtrack was only released years after the film's release.

7 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Their is no "recent" confirmation of the elements still being lost. Regarding Under Fire, Legend and NIMH we have one that isn't much older than five years.

Ok, I guess I get it. Pretty sure we've heard from people more recently about Legend, so it shouldn't be on the list any more than Link by your standards.

Too bad. I thought this was another perpetuity license giveaway.:(

When has Varese ever done this? Planet of the Apes/Escape from the Planet of the Apes seems to have been an anomaly, an exception to accommodate a big box set. The only other time I think of Varese licensing one of their film music albums out to someone else was for an even bigger box set, the $500 Danny Elfman/Tim Burton monstrosity...

I just looked it up and I didn't even know that the term (as well as the German equivalent) necessarily means that the creator of the respective content has to have died. I just used it as "belated", which in this context means that the soundtrack was only released years after the film's release.

Ah, got it. Yeah, "belated" would be better in this context.

By the way, how crazy is it that less than halfway into 2021 we have already gotten SEVEN Goldsmith releases and only *one* of them is a (remastered) reissue? We've had a half dozen Goldsmith releases that were expansions or premieres -- that's more than one per month! This must be the craziest time for a Goldsmith collector in history (at least, since his untimely death).

Yavar

14 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

and Goldsmith's score could be isolated on its own audio track

Has ever Arrow included an isolated score track? I don't think so...