Most frustrating release: UE Phantom Menace vs. 2012 LaLa Land Hook

WampaRat

Most Frustrating Expansion Release  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which one frustrates you the most?

• Ultimate Edition Phantom Menace
    • 2012 LaLa Land Hook expanded score

Agreed. Editing a decent album from the EU and having to also use the OST took forever. And then we still had to use video game rips!

2012 Hook was the first expanded release I ever bought and I played that thing non-stop. I wasn’t really aware of some of the track order issues until later. But they were WAY easier fixes. It remains my favorite score of all time.

TPM for sure. At least the effort was made with Hook; they just didn't have the necessary source material for some parts. But TPM could have easily been done right, rather than taking the damnable iso score approach.

6 minutes ago, Datameister said:

At least the effort was made with Hook; they just didn't have the necessary source material for some parts.

Well... no significant effort was taken to have the necessary source material for those parts.

TPM "The Ultimate Thing" is at least, like a sort of "Isolated score".

Of course, it's not a good idea to release music in that form on an album, but I think Sony and other labels got the message.

The Expanded version of Hook was long OOP, when I decided to "jump" in the marvelous world of Expanded Editions.

It's JWfan (yes, you... you, you and you!) who convice me to "wait" for a proper expanded release of it.

I listened the experts!!!

But I STILL WAIT!

37 minutes ago, lemoncurd said:

TPM UE might be frustrating but at least it's consequent/consistent. Hook is a disappointing mess. 

The program itself might be (mostly*) self-consistent, but it says on the box that it includes every note Williams recorded for TPM, which is a blatant lie. That's the kicker for me. Hook never claims to be anything it's not.

* There are, of course, a couple of passages included that were cut from the film, and Augie's inexplicably goes with the album version. So it's not even a perfect iso score.

29 minutes ago, Bespin said:

The Expanded version of Hook was long OOP, when I decided to "jump" in the marvelous world of Expanded Editions.

I wonder when Thor will join you!

1 minute ago, Datameister said:

The program itself might be (mostly*) self-consistent, but it says on the box that it includes every note Williams recorded for TPM

Actually, it was supposed to say that it includes every note Williams didn't record for TPM.

TPM UE was a release that never should have happened the way it was presented. Especially after releasing the original trilogy in near complete form in the late 90’s.

I can't think of one. Unless we count "songtracks", like BATMAN & ROBIN.

But in terms of Williams, there isn't really any. Unless you look at it from the other way around; I'm frustrated that scores like GUIDE FOR THE MARRIED MAN and JOHN GOLDFARB, PLEASE COME HOME didn't have properly arranged and abbreviated soundtrack releases.

3 hours ago, Bellosh said:

The Blue Darth Maul should have been a warning to us all.

Yeah, what was that all about? Anyone know the reason for making him blue?

13 hours ago, Thor said:

I can't think of one. Unless we count "songtracks", like BATMAN & ROBIN.

I can think of at least one: the Starship Troopers OST. It omits so much good music, and the main theme should have featured more.

Neither the one nor the other release frustrated me. I was happy hearing all that music from TPM which was not included in the original album. I also would have been happy to have such releases from the following episodes 2,3,7,8 and 9.

4 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Neither the one nor the other release frustrated me. I was happy hearing all that music from TPM which was not included in the original album. I also would have been happy to have such releases from the following episodes 2,3,7,8 and 9.

TPM is still missing like an hour of music though.

The ultimate edition of TPM has always frustrated me that it was presented in such a terrible way with no gaps between cues and missing music. If Sony were trying to stop the selling of the bootleg that was floating around, they definitely did a good job.  At least Hook tries to follow suit of other soundtrack expansions despite its flaws.