Thomas Newman's THE LITTLE THINGS (2021)

Jay

Thomas Newman to Score John Lee Hancock’s ‘The Little Things’ & Steven Soderbergh’s ‘Let Them All Talk’

Thomas Newman (American Beauty, Finding Nemo, The Shawshank Redemption, Skyfall) has revealed in a recent interview with Deadline that he will be reteaming with John Lee Hancock on the upcoming crime thriller The Little Things. The film starring Denzel Washington, Rami Malek, Jared Leto, Natalie Morales, Sofia Vassilieva and John Harlan Kim follows a Kern County, CA deputy sheriff namedwho teams with a crack LASD detective to reel in a wily serial killer. Lee Hancok (The Blind Side, The Rookie) also wrote the screenplay and is producing the project with Mark Johnson (Rain Men, The Chronicles of Narnia). Newman has previously scored the director’s Saving Mr. Banks and this year’s The Highwaymen. The Little Things is currently in post-production and is expected to be released in late 2020 by Warner Bros. Pictures.

Newman who most recently scored Sam Mendes’ 1917 (to be released in select theaters on December 25) also is reuniting with Steven Soderbergh on the upcoming comedy drama Let Them All Talk. The film starring Meryl Streep, Candice Bergen, Dianne Wiest, Lucas Hedges and Gemma Chan tells the story of a celebrated author who takes a journey with some old friends to have some fun and heal old wounds. Deborah Eisenberg wrote the screenplay. Gregory Jacobs (Edge of Tomorrow, Magic Mike) is producing the project. Newman has previously collaborated with Soderbergh (Traffic, Ocean’s Eleven) on the features Erin Brockovich, The Good German and Side Effects. Let Them All Talk is expected to premiere in 2020 on HBO Max.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2019/12/09/thomas-newman-to-score-john-lee-hancocks-the-little-things-steven-soderberghs-let-them-all-talk/

(Yea, that sheriff namedwho typo was never fixed on their site)

Here's a trailer

The OST album is not out yet (according to the starter of the FSM thread for this score, it will arrive via Water Tower Records on Friday, January 29th, 2021, the same day the film debuts on HBO Max and in theaters)

The FYC album is out first, however, and it is about an hour long

https://www.wbawards.com/score/?film=thelittlethings

https://www.wbawards.com/bafta/score/?film=thelittlethings

1. 1M1 MOSMANS 2 (1:25)
  2. 1M2 DRIVE TO LA (1:13)
  3. 1M6 SHE WAS MOVED (2:22)
  4. 2M3 FREEWAY GIRL SMILES (1:21)
  5. 2M7 ST AGNES DEAD GIRLS (2:27)
  6. 3M1 VACATION DAYS (1:18)
  7. 3M2 JACK ABOUD (1:27)
  8. 3M3 FLOATER (1:02)
  9. 3M5 REVEREND CAPTAIN (0:44)
  10. 3M8 FINISH THE JOB (2:08)
  11. 4M2 SIDE MIRROR FB (0:43)
  12. 4M3 FREEWAY CAT MOUSE (2:55)
  13. 5M1 PAST FUTURE (1:39)
  14. 5M2 CASE APT (1:44)
  15. 5M3 RESUME SEARCH (4:48)
  16. 5M5 GENTLEMANS CLUB (1:23)
  17. 6M1 I WONT BITE (5:57)
  18. 6M2 PADLOCK (0:47)
  19. 6M4 TREASURE MAP (3:47)
  20. 6M5 GET UP (1:37)
  21. 7M1 NIGHT DRIVE TO APT (3:48)
  22. 7M2 END OF THE WORLD (2:37)
  23. 7M3 RED BARRETTE (2:30)
  24. 7M4 DEAD GIRL WAKES 2 (4:56)
  25. 7M5 END TITLE (3:45)

TOTAL TIME - 58:23

Yeah, that sounded surprisingly static. To be fair, I love this kind of ambient Newman, but in smaller doses spread throughout an album, or with some interesting textures overlaid. But I'll wait untill we (hopefully) get a properly assembled album to evaluate further.

Don’t get me wrong, I love “ambient Newman”, and the vast majority of his scores have a dose of that sound in some measure. It’s just a whole album of it is a bit of a drag.

I’d rather him stay away from these kind of dour thriller projects because this is always the result, it seems.

Nothing on the radar for him soon?

13 minutes ago, Foundling said:

I now dig this after a few listens, I just think Newman has class, never sounds cheap.  Love the piano riffs. 

And he has beautiful blue eyes!

Thomas Newman - Agent, Manager, Publicist Contact Info