Max Richter Appreciation Thread

TheUlyssesian

Anyone heard/like his score the Oscar nominated drama Never Look Away? I think a lot of people here might like it. It is your old fashioned stirring biopic epics - unspools at over 3 hours with a mediation on history and art and love. Enlivened by Richter's score which gets to shine in many sequences bereft of Sound FX or dialog as the lead character paints.

This climatic cue has been haunting me today - 

The beginning reminds me of Man of Steel of all things. But what follows is pretty simple and new age-y but nevertheless quite stirring when you are the mood for it. I think it literally scores the lead character standing still and having an epiphany for 4 minutes as the camera swirls around him.

8 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I must confess his film music career has been a bit of a disappointment.

If you compare his scores to "...Sunlight"...its very disappointing.

He's been on autopilot for some time now in the film department, though his very familiar bag of tricks is still pretty effective in context (slow dramatic string chords scream "PROFOUND").

His solo albums are much more interesting and representative of his creative peak.

Max Richter is one of my favourite composers to emerge in the last two decades, one of the greatest proponents of post-minimalist romanticism. I have 25 of his albums, both scores and concert music. I first took proper note of his name after the use of his music in SHUTTER ISLAND, but I had actually seen and enjoyed WALTZ WITH BASHIR, his breakthrough score, prior to that, without really noticing Richter's name.

But - curiously - WERK OHNE AUTOR is not one of those I enjoy that much. For some reason, that didn't connect with me. Hard to say why, but it might have something to do with its "detached" nature. Maybe it will grow on me.

The iconic THE LEFTOVERS remains my favourite of his. And for non-film music, THE BLUE NOTEBOOKS.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

I had actually seen and enjoyed WALTZ WITH BASHIR, his breakthrough score, prior to that, without really noticing Richter's name.

I had immediately sought out the composer on watching the movie. 

This piece, heard once in 2008 - I have never since forgotten, it had that indelible of an impact on me.

I have been so inspired by this piece of music that in a screenplay I wrote, I wrote a scene specifically as if it were cut to this cue, though my script will probably never be made into a film and even if it is, they might not want to use this cue for that scene and even if they do, perhaps they might never get the rights.

Memoryhouse and The Blue Notebooks are his best works. Followed by his reimagining of Vivaldi's Four Seasons with Recomposed and his 24 Postcards in Colour.

The Leftovers has some good material, even though it's mostly just Memoryhouse variations. But the music also derives a lot of its power from the show it accompanies (and vice versa). The same goes for My Brilliant Friend, another case where the music isn't at all original, but both the show and music greatly benefit from each other.

My first Richter piece:

• 9 months later...

Yes, sounds like trademark Richter -- which is a good thing. Shades of AD ASTRA in that second track. Looking forward to both show and music!

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

SPACEMAN - Max Richter

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/spaceman-original-motion-picture-soundtrack/1729872386

Based on the trailer for SPACEMAN (which seems like my kind of sci-fi), muted minimalism might suit this film just fine. But every time Hollywood employs Max Richter, I hope they'll seize on his gift for more outwardly expressive minimalism present in pieces like "On The Nature Of Daylight" and "November" that brought him so much attention. "Memory Is A Voyager" sticks out a bit in this album. I haven't seen a lot of Ricther-scored films (SHUTTER ISLAND and ARRIVAL don't count to me), so as of now AD ASTRA is still the closest I've come to loving a Richter score written exclusively for the given movie (and, as a lot of JWFan knows, even that isn't all Richter).

image.png

38 minutes ago, Under-Terrestrial said:

SPACEMAN - Max Richter

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/spaceman-original-motion-picture-soundtrack/1729872386

Based on the trailer for SPACEMAN (which seems like my kind of sci-fi), muted minimalism might suit this film just fine. But every time Hollywood employs Max Richter, I hope they'll seize on his gift for more outwardly expressive minimalism present in pieces like "On The Nature Of Daylight" and "November" that brought him so much attention. "Memory Is A Voyager" sticks out a bit in this album. I haven't seen a lot of Ricther-scored films (SHUTTER ISLAND and ARRIVAL don't count to me), so as of now AD ASTRA is still the closest I've come to loving a Richter score written exclusively for the given movie (and, as a lot of JWFan knows, even that isn't all Richter).

image.png

I thought it was (the late) Jóhann Jóhannsson who composed Arrival. I can't actually recall a context that a Richter piece was used in...? 

Though, because his work is mostly of a minimalist nature, I s'pose that's a gift to filmmakers wanting to track in something that fits the mood of a scene. His work for My Brilliant Friend seems to be assembled from both already existing pieces and the odd new composition. (I may be mistaken - I don't have a physical copy.) 

Looking forward to the soundtrack to Spaceman (out tomorrow, as I write this)!

On 29/02/2024 at 9:15 AM, Badzeee said:

I thought it was (the late) Jóhann Jóhannsson who composed Arrival. I can't actually recall a context that a Richter piece was used in...? 

Though, because his work is mostly of a minimalist nature, I s'pose that's a gift to filmmakers wanting to track in something that fits the mood of a scene. His work for My Brilliant Friend seems to be assembled from both already existing pieces and the odd new composition. (I may be mistaken - I don't have a physical copy.) 

Looking forward to the soundtrack to Spaceman (out tomorrow, as I write this)!

Yup, Jóhann Jóhannsson scored ARRIVAL, and Villeneuve used the existing recording of On The Nature Of Daylight to bookend the film (and I think Johannsson *may* have subtly referenced Daylight in his input, though I'm not sure).

On 29/02/2024 at 9:19 AM, Under-Terrestrial said:

Yup, Jóhann Jóhannsson scored ARRIVAL, and Villeneuve used the existing recording of On The Nature Of Daylight to bookend the film (and I think Johannsson *may* have subtly referenced Daylight in his input, though I'm not sure).

Ah, right! (Y) Been a while since I've seen that movie. [Pops it on the list for a rewatch]. That makes perfect sense, texturally speaking. They're very compatible as composers. Villeneuve seems to know his stuff regarding the atmospheres he wants to achieve in his SF outings.

I do have a physical copy of Jóhannsson's soundtrack album for Arrival, but unfortunately it's in storage after an international move, so I'll have to be content with it on Apple Music for now. 

Via which I'm listening to On The Nature of Daylight right now, in fact! So beautiful.  

I've heard conflicting views on SPACEMAN from my colleagues, but I still look forward to seeing it when it hits Netflix tomorrow. Science fiction, Adam Sandler in serious mode and Johan Renck of CHERNOBYL fame sounds like a cool mix.

As for Richter, I'm a huge fan. Almost a completist with 29 albums. So my curiousity in that regard goes without saying. I have a queue of other things I need to listen to first, but I'll get it soon.

3 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

What are the thoughts on here about his "Sleep" album?

I dig it. It's long, but serves its purpose. I'm impressed he managed to create a listenable album out of the 8+ hours.

40 minutes ago, fenrik said:

"Finally a new Richter score", I thought (he dont seem to do much scores these days)...but this...? 
Just soundscapes and hardly any "music"... unfortunately. 

Certainly not bereft of thought, but definitely rather muted in richness of feeling.