What 5-10 scores were expanded first?

mxsch

Does the “Volume Two” of Lionheart count? (If so then I guess Ben-Hur also qualifies earlier, although those LP albums were re-recordings.)

What year was The Blue Max first expanded? When did Intrada initially expand Poltergeist II? I know they definitely expanded on the original 38 minute Inchon album in 1988, and expanded Rambo III to complete length not long after....

Yavar

I also remember the expansions of Poltergeist 1+2 but don't have year at Hand. Then there were not too long afterwards the expansions of the first 3 Omen movies. Omen II was the first one I remember containing the film score and the OST album in one disc.

If we go back to real old scores, things like Waxman's Nun's Story or Spirit of St. Louis were real early expansions, 1991, as I recall. Also Rambo III came out expanded one year oft its original Scotti Bros. release in 1989.

1 hour ago, Jay said:
  1. 1975-??-?? Captain From Castile (Citadel)
  2. 1976-??-?? The Blue Max (Citadel LP with 3 new tracks but less overall tracks than original OST)
  3. 1985-??-?? King Solomon's Mines (cassette OST has one more track than vinyl OST)
  4. 1985-??-?? The Blue Max (Varese 19 track)
  5. 1987-??-?? King Solomon's Mines (Milan CD contains that track)
  6. 1987-??-?? Lionheart Volume 2 (Varese)
  7. 1988-??-?? First Blood (Intrada)
  8. 1988-??-?? The Spirit of St. Louis (Varese)
  9. 1989-??-?? Rambo III (Intrada)
  10. 1990-??-?? The Fury (Varese - 1 track added)
  11. 1991-??-?? King Solomon's Mines (Intrada - 18 track)
  12. 1991-??-?? Nun's Story (Stanyan)
  13. 1992-??-?? Legend (Silva Screen)
  14. 1993-??-?? Star Wars Anthology (Arista)
  15. 1993-??-?? Supergirl (Silva Screen)
  16. 1993-??-?? Poltergeist II: The Other Side (13 track / 53 minute Intrada)
  17. 1995-03-14 The Blue Max (Legacy 30 track)
  18. 1995-??-?? Raiders of the Lost Ark (DCC CD)
  19. 1995-??-?? Raiders of the Lost Ark (DCC LP with one extra track)
  20. 1995-??-?? The Reivers (Legacy/Columbia)
  21. 1996-07-24 E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (MCA)
  22. 1997-01-14 Star Wars: Special Edition (RCA Victor)
  23. 1997-01-28 The Empire Strikes Back: Special Edition (RCA Victor)
  24. 1997-03-11 Return of the Jedi: Special Edition (RCA Victor)
  25. 1997-??-?? Poltergeist (Rhino)
  26. 1998-04-01 Close Encounters of the The Third Kind: The Collectors Edition (Arista)
  27. 1999-01-26 Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Sony)
  28. 1999-??-?? Rambo: First Blood Part II (Silva Screen - 21 track)
  29. 2000-02-15 Superman (Rhino)
  30. 2000-07-01 Jaws (Decca)
  31. 2000-11-14 The Phantom Menace: The Ultimate Edition (Sony)
  32. 2001-04-01 The Towering Inferno (FSM)
  33. 2001-10-09 The Omen: The Deluxe Edition (Varese)
  34. 2001-10-09 The Final Conflict: The Deluxe Edition (Varese)
  35. 2001-10-09 Fiddler On The Roof (Capital/EMI)
  36. 2001-12-04 Damien: Omen II: The Deluxe Edition (Varese)
  37. 2002-03-21 E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (MCA)
  38. 2002-07-29 The Fury: The Deluxe Edition (Varese)
  39. 2002-11-12 Home Alone 2: Lost In New York: The Deluxe Edition (Varese)
  40. 2003-10-14 Poltergeist II: The Other Side (14 track / 1 hour Varese)
  41. 2005-03-?? CutThroat Island (Prometheus)
  42. 2005-12-06 Lost In Space (La-La Land)
  43. 2006-12-?? King Solomon's Mines (Prometheus - 22 track)
  44. 2007-07-10 Godzilla (La-La Land)
  45. 2008-02-21 Superman (The Blue Box) (Film Score Monthly)
  46. 2008-11-11 Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (Concord)
  47. 2008-12-01 How To Steal A Million (Intrada)

I did not include re-recordings, that's a different thing

Rambo III, Poltergeist II and the Star Wars trilogy are the first ones I still remember for the wow! factor they had for me at the time.

These are the ones I picked up immediately when they came out

1993-??-?? Star Wars Anthology (Arista)
1995-??-?? Raiders of the Lost Ark (DCC CD)
1996-07-24 E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (MCA)
1997-01-14 Star Wars: Special Edition (RCA Victor)
1997-01-28 The Empire Strikes Back: Special Edition (RCA Victor)
1997-03-11 Return of the Jedi: Special Edition (RCA Victor)
1997-??-?? Poltergeist (Rhino)
1998-04-01 Close Encounters of the The Third Kind: The Collectors Edition (Arista)
1999-01-26 Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Sony)
2000-02-15 Superman (Rhino)
2000-07-01 Jaws (Decca)
2000-11-14 The Phantom Menace: The Ultimate Edition (Sony)
2002-03-21 E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (MCA)
2002-07-29 The Fury: The Deluxe Edition (Varese)
2002-11-12 Home Alone 2: Lost In New York: The Deluxe Edition (Varese)
2005-03-?? CutThroat Island (Prometheus)
2007-07-10 Godzilla (La-La Land)

2007-11-19 Alien (Intrada)
2008-02-21 Superman (The Blue Box) (Film Score Monthly)
2008-11-11 Indiana Jones: The Soundtracks Collection (Concord)

Some others on the list I picked up later, or picked up a later/different editions of instead

Are there any re-recordings on my list at all?

The only edge case is Jaws really - the 2000 CD is technically not an expansion of the LP, but a premiere of the actual film tracks

3 hours ago, Ricard said:

From Goldsmith, King Solomon's Mines ('91), Supergirl ('93) and Poltergeist ('97). Omen Trilogy is from 2001 and Poltergeist II from 2003.

For Poltergeist II, the original half hour album came out in 1986 at the time of the film’s release (on Intrada in the US), but the first expansion was Intrada’s 53 minute version in 1993. Then the Varese Deluxe Edition (with not the greatest sound) came out in 2003 clocking just over an hour, but still missing four cues, I think it was. Then Kritzerland released their great sounding edition of the (finally!) fully complete score from analogue sources in 2013, and we thought the score’s journey was done — kinda funny that its first three expansions happened at 10 year intervals!

But then after the Kritzerland quickly sold out, Intrada decided to put out a 3CD (!!!) edition in 2017, featuring the complete score twice (once from the analogue source, once from digital) plus a final disc of extras. The digital source included an interesting never before released (and really fairly different) alternate of one cue, and there’s been some debate about whether the Intrada disc from digital sources or the Kritzerland from analogue sounds better. But everyone seems to agree that the Kritzerland from analogue is better than the Intrada disc from analogue, because Bruce and his engineer put so much extra TLC into restoring that source and getting the best sound out of it they could.

What a saga! But yeah the first expansion was 10 years earlier than you thought...

Yavar

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

Are there any re-recordings on my list at all?

The only edge case is Jaws really - the 2000 CD is technically not an expansion of the LP, but a premiere of the actual film tracks

The Fury was also first released as a rerecording.

Sure, the but the 1990 Varese CD added 1 track to that recording, so it's an expansion.  It may have come from a different recording but it's more music

I don't know anything about Captain and Castile.  I can alter the list as needed but currently I don't understand what you guys are saying about that score, I don't know that one or its history

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I don't know anything about Captain and Castile.  I can alter the list as needed but currently I don't understand what you guys are saying about that score, I don't know that one or its history

Just tell me what's unclear about my posts, and I'll elaborate. :)

Are you saying the 1975 LP is a re-recording and not the original 1947 film recordings?  If so I can remove it from the list

Is the 2003 Screen Archives release the premiere of the film recordings?

25 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

According to Discogs, Captain from Castile came out on Delos (1975) before it came out on Citadel (1980).

That is correct (it was later annoyingly issued on CD as a single 45 minute long track — WTF?)

The Delos also weirdly acted like it was a re-recording but it actually was/is the premiere of the original film recording (I think John Scott later did this on some of his JOS albums, maybe as a way of avoiding fee payment or something?)

The confusion is compounded further by Captain From Castile having received a soundtrack release back in the 40s (one of the earliest albums for a film score; they were pretty uncommon that decade) — and it predated LPs, so it was on 78s. This was a re-recording, which Varese later premiered on CD in their original CD Club in the early 90s.

Then in the 2000s Screen Archives came to the rescue with a deluxe 2CD set of the complete score (and an amazing booklet), sans the second cue (the short one following the main title) which sadly remains lost — Just over a year ago Kritzerland reissued the same almost-complete program in their Henry King/Alfred Newman collaboration 5 CD set, which featured some slight tweaks/improvements over the SAE audio by Mike Mattesino, but that great little cue was alas still missing.

Yavar

Ah, so the release at the time of a film was a re-recording, the 1975 LP was all those re-recordings collected into a suite, and the 2003 Screen Archives premiered the actual film recordings?

Rozsa's Ben Hur and King of Kings were expanded in the early 90s.

Herrmann's North by Northwest and Vertigo were expanded in the 90s.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Are you saying the 1975 LP is a re-recording and not the original 1947 film recordings?  If so I can remove it from the list

No, the first release was a rerecording (18 minutes on 78s). The 1975 release was of the original recording).

I thought it was quite obvious that the expanded release would be from the film recordings, unless otherwise stated, since that's what this thread (and your list) seems to be all about. :)

16 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

And why go on with that list till 2008? In that case it has tons of stuff left out.

That's when ancient times (of soundtrack restoration and re-release) ended.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

Where's Planet of the Apes?

Added!

And why go on with that list till 2008? In that case it has tons of stuff left out.

The Indiana Jones box set seemed like a good place to end one "era" of expansions when they mostly came out on major labels, as opposed to the "current era" where they mostly come out on specialty labels.  That's all.  Then when I looked up How To Steal A Million I saw it was shortly after that but figured what the hell, mention it anyway

Ron Goodwin's 633 squadron and Where Eagles Dare were expanded in 2005 and 2003, respectively.

Bernstein's The Great Escape has been expanded several times. I don't know if there was any expansion before the Varese 2 CD set.

Morricone's spaghetti scores were expanded about 20 years ago.

I don't know when Shore's Ed Wood was expanded.

2 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

For Poltergeist II, the original half hour album came out in 1986...

29 minutes?! Fuck that.

"Inner groove distortion" my ass.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The Fury was also first released as a rerecording.

Nobody likes a smart Alec. You wait until tomorrow's Zoom. I'll get you, my pretty; you and your little tutu, too!

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Ron Goodwin's 633 squadron and Where Eagles Dare were expanded in 2005 and 2003, respectively.

Added

Bernstein's The Great Escape has been expanded several times. I don't know if there was any expansion before the Varese 2 CD set.

The 1968 LP had 13 tracks and was a re-recording.  That's been released numerous times on various labels.  The 1997 Rykodisc CD is 16 tracks but only because it adds 3 dialogue tracks in between the normal 13 tracks.

In 1999 Elmer made a fresh re-recording with the Royal Scottish National Orchestra released on RCA Records, 14 tracks

The 2004 Varese 2CD set premiered the actual film tracks

The 2011 Intrada 3CD set was all the film tracks and the original LP re-recording together in one package

Morricone's spaghetti scores were expanded about 20 years ago.

Added Good Bad Ugly, Fistful of Dollas, For A Few Dollars more.  Don't know what any others are

I don't know when Shore's Ed Wood was expanded.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

The 2011 Intrada 3CD set was all the film tracks and the original LP re-recording together in one package

This release is such a great deal!

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Don't know what any others are

Once upon a time in the west.

3 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Then in the 2000s Screen Archives came to the rescue with a deluxe 2CD set of the complete score (and an amazing booklet), sans the second cue (the short one following the main title) which sadly remains lost — Just over a year ago Kritzerland reissued the same almost-complete program in their Henry King/Alfred Newman collaboration 5 CD set, which featured some slight tweaks/improvements over the SAE audio by Mike Mattesino, but that great little cue was alas still missing.

I recently got the SAE edition for practically nothing, in great condition! How's the booklet of the Kritzerland release compared to this amazing booklet work?

That one only added The Hunt, then in 1997 we got everything else by Varese, then in 2019 we finally got a good sounding version and all the correct overlays/film versions from LLL

OK, here's possibly the oldest one: 

The suite from The Adventures of Robin Hood (re-recording), with narration, released around the same time as the film (1938), presumably on four 78 records. It was re-released on LP by Delos in 1975 and later on CD by Facet.

I forgot to say that the original film recordings were released by Tsunami in the 90s.

I can't believe that none of the specialty labels have yet re-released this title with a new tape transfer and without Tsunami's heavy noise reduction!

26 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

OK, here's possibly the oldest one: 

I retract my words! Here's seemingly the first film that had an official, contemporary soundtrack release (partial rerecording):

Sir Arthur Bliss' Things to Come (1936)!

:ola:

The original recordings were re-released and expanded on Pearl in 2000.

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I retract my words! Here's seemingly the first film that had an official, contemporary soundtrack release (partial rerecording):

Sir Arthur Bliss' Things to Come (1936)!

Well, yes, that's fairly common knowledge among film score fans. But it wasn't the first expansion. I can't remember what the first expansion was, to be honest, other than that it was a dark day. ;)

• 1 month later...

I just discovered that Things to Come wasn't the first film to have an official, contemporary soundtrack release. Nine years prior, in 1927, music from Metropolis was released on 78s by VOX.

Premiere took place on January 10, 1927, with music delivered by a 66 piece orchestra, and at its end: "Unending applause brought the creators and the production staff to the apron stage over and over again, including Gottfried Huppertz, who put up the background music and conducted himself." (Der Film, Berlin, vol. 12, no. 1, 15 Jan 1927, p. 5-6) .Huppertz, holding the printed version of the Metropolis score "The music by Gottfried Huppertz gives a rough idea of the events while storming forward with them…" said novelist Norbert Jacques, who was present at the premiere, "it is big, clear and strong." In January alone 7 published articles focused about Huppertz' music, 2 in March, and 3 more during the rest of the year (one in April, August and September). Criticisms were so good that it was then decided to release Huppertz' music for Metropolis on a set of two 78rpm records under the VOX label. The first record was 12" in size and contained on the first side a spoken introduction by Fritz Lang (exact content unknown), and on the second side several themes from the film: Metropolis, Moloch, Fredersen, Freder, and the Yoshiwara Foxtrot. Second record was 10" and contained on the first side the Waltz (Of the eternal garden), and on the second side the Fantastic dance/Dance of death (Music heard when the Robot dances in Yoshiwara).

http://fimumu.com/huppertz/