In what other genres of music you into?

mxsch

I'm also in rock, metal, electronics (mostly synthwave), but now I'm listening almost only soundtracks and planning to roll into classical music because I've understand how much I love orchestral music, but metal still kicks ass btw

rock

classic rock

grunge rock

hard rock

progressive rock

modern rock

alternative

modern alternative

pop rock

certain rap artists but by no means the entire genre

certain pop artists but by no means the entire genre

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

rock

hard rock

progressive rock

alternative rock

alternative

grunge

certain pop artists but by no means the entire genre

classic rock

Ah, I see you're a Man of Culture as well

9 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

My favorite rock group is the “progressive rock” primarily 70s/80s group called Kansas — any fans here?

Yavar

I have heard a couple of the songs.

39 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

My favorite rock group is the “progressive rock” primarily 70s/80s group called Kansas

Carry on, my wayward son! :)

Honestly, I'll listen to anything, from ABBA, ABC, A Certain Ratio, Albinoni, and Adams (John, not Bryan!), to The Zombies, ZZ Top, Warren Zevon, and John Zorn.

Literally anything goes!

Honestly, I don't listen to much outside of Film Scores, Soundtracks, Video Game Music, and Musicals. The stuff I do listen to, I tend to like because it feels more raw. Some of it's electronic, some of it's alt rock, some of it's...indie I guess? I don't have any genres I stick to. I'll just throw a random amalgamation of bands / artists I like.

• Arcade Fire
  • The Battle Tapes
  • The Beatles
  • M83
  • Karen O
  • Coldplay
  • Ezra Furman
  • Dance with the Dead

I don't branch out much... most of the artists I've gotten into were due to their music being in various films I watched. Lol. I am even only just now starting to get into classical music. I'm a very film centric person.

I realize now that by not specifying genres I have failed to answer the question. Feel free to ignore me. Lol. 

Gee, wouldn't know where to start or stop. 

But some of the most important ones:

* Prog rock/art rock/symphonic rock - 10CC, The Alan Parsons Project, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Manfred Mann's Earthband, Genesis, Jethro Tull, ELO etc.

* Electronic music. From the pioneers of the 70s (Jarre, Kraftwerk, Vangelis, TD, Oldfield , Carpenter etc.) to 80s composers like Moroder, Faltermeyer and Hammer. Then on to the EDM and other things of the 90s and beyond (Oakenfold, Shpongle, Orbital, The Orb, Undeworld etc.), and of that especially psytrance/goa (Juno Reactor, Infected Mushroom, Filteria, Man With No Name, Infinity Project, Astral Projection etc.). And - like the topic starter - I'm currently obsessed with synthwave too (Waveshaper, Robert Parker, Carpenter Brut, Miam Nights 1984, The Midnight, Daniel Deluxe, Power Glove etc. etc.).

* 80s synthpop and New Wave

* Good ol' rock'n'roll (Rolling Stones, Creedence, Steppenwolf, Elvis)

* 60s surf music

* Some metal, primarily Rammstein

* Some rap, primarily old-school like Grandmaster Flash, Run DMC, Sugarhill Gang and the like

* Classical music -- all of it, from Lute to Lutoslawski. ;)

* Some musicals - primarily contemporary stuff, Disney and the like

* Jazz. The wildest, free-tonal Polish jazz stuff is a bit too much for me, although I did attend a concert of Komeda's music last year. I'm more on the funky side, or big band jazz. Or exotica/cocktail lounge stuff. Or broad, moody stuff like Garbarek, Rypdal, Metheny.

....and on and on and on. Film music was by no means my first musical passion, and I would go crazy if that's all there was to listen to. Variety is the spice of life!

some example artists I've bought more than an album or two from, from within each genre I had listed above

comedy - Weird Al, Garfunkel and Oats

classic rock - Beatles, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd

rock - Aerosmith, Guns and Roses, Tom Petty, Stone Temple Pilots, Live, Fuel, Our Lady Peace, Green Day

grunge rock - Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Alice in Chains

hard rock - Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Sevendust, Chevelle, Godsmack

progressive rock - Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Coheed and Cambria

modern rock - Days of the New, Audioslave, Jet, Muse, Queens of the Stone Age

alternative - Beck, Weezer, Smashing Pumpkins

modern alternative - Fitz and the Tantrums, Foster the People, Young The Giant

pop rock - Third Eye Blind, Matchbox 20, Collective Soul

certain rap artists but by no means the entire genre - Beastie Boys, NWA, Notorious BIG, A Tribe Called Quest

certain pop artists but by no means the entire genre - Pink, Paramore

Obviously many artists cross genres, either all the time or as their careers progressed, etc, but I tried to simplify

(Some of the) Artists I've seen live in concert - Muse, Tool, Weezer, Weird Al, Garfunkel and Oats, Nine Inch Nails, A Perfect Circle, Sevendust, Chevelle, Godsmack, Stone Temple Pilots, Live, Fuel, Our Lady Peace, Green Day, Alice in Chains (not with Layne though), Audioslave, Queens of the Stone Age, Third Eye Blind, Matchbox 20, Collective Soul, Fitz and the Tantrums, Foster the People, Young The Giant, Beastie Boys, Pink

Artists I regret not seeing when I had the chance - Aerosmith, Tom Petty, Nirvana, Alice in Chains (with Layne), Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Coheed and Cambria, Paramore

3 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@Thor,

Is Oldfield really "electronic"? I'm not sure if there's a single electronic instrument, on INCANTATIONS.

Do you like Rone, Fuck Buttons, Disclosure, and Röyksopp?

True, not "purely" electronic. But he did so many clever things with the electric organ in the 70s, I tend to throw him in there.

And yes, I'm a fan of all of those you mention, Röyksopp the most (seen them live twice!).

I have no idea how to categorise the non-soundtrack artists I listen to, but I have anything from a few albums to a full discography from the following:

Lana Del Rey

Of Monsters and Men

Imagine Dragons

Ruelle

Lorde

Mimi Page

I also like a lot of Ludovico Einaudi's material too. The vast majority of my music is instrumental.

I’m into a lot of stuff but the main genres I dip into, on a daily basis at least, include:

Downtempo electronica

Folktronica

Sophisiti-pop

New Wave

Progressive rock

Country rock

Indie pop/rock

Britpop

Jazz rock

I am not so good at genres. But of I would need to characterize my taste of music then I would call it pretty white.

Unfortunately. 

I wished I had more sense of cultural diversity here. Like when it comes to Rap music I would probably say, yeah I like some tracks of Eminem and own some Beasty Boys albums.

When I pick non-score or non-classical CDs I listen to

The Divine Comedy, The Cure, Radiohead, Fiona Apple, Everything But The Girl, Billy Talent, System of a Down, The Beatles, Wir sind Helden, Pixies, Tori Amos, Kristin Hersh / Throwing Muses, PJ Harvey, NoMeansNo, Depeche Mode, The Kooks, Joe Jackson, Smashing Pumkins, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Style Council, New Model Army, Tele, Interpol, Hall & Oats, Sade, The Nits, Foo Fighters, Weezer etc.

Bands which I habe seen live most:

The Cure, Pearl Jam, Radiohead

Classical music is where it all started for me. Beethoven is the only composer from any era whose music gives me more pleasure than JW's (and it's not necessarily by a lot). LvB and JW hold pride of place in my music-appreciating life.

Elsewhere in the classical realm, there's not too much before Beethoven that I seek out. Bach's secular stuff, a few things here and there by Mozart and Haydn, some Scarlatti. And there's little after Ravel I really enjoy. Between them, I have great appreciation for folks like Saint-Saens, Brahms, Debussy, Dvorak, Mendelssohn, Bizet, Tchaikovsky, Shostakovich, Berlioz. (For some reason, I never warmed up to Wagner or the 19th and 20th century Austrians.)

Elsewhere in music, I'm less experienced, but I like catchy and powerful things (e.g., a lot of Queen's discography, much of whatever Jim Steinman wrote...). I also enjoy the likes of Daft Punk and Parov Stelar.

Finally, I also like accessible jazz. Stuff like Bill Evans and Claude Bolling.

My music collection is primarily music from film, television, and theme parks. I do enjoy a fair amount of other styles to some degree - just not enough to actively seek them out very often. Unless it's the sort of jazz or classical that I find just intrinsically enjoyable, I often need an association with some positive memory for an individual song to be of strong interest to me. Popular music with no real melody tends to be the least enjoyable to me, which usually takes rap and a lot of music from the last decade or two out of the picture. (I fully support these artists expressing themselves and making money in whatever musical way they like; I just don't necessarily enjoy it for myself.)

If I were to buy an album of music not from any film, television show, or theme park right now, I'd most likely end up buying something jazzy (maybe Bill Evans), or perhaps my first Beach Boys album. Maybe some Bartók. A lot of B's...go figure.

Sometimes I wish my tastes in music were a little wider. But oh well.

2 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

No Hip Hop, R&B? Soul?

Stupid white people!

But, they'll listen to metal ' music'😰😡

I didn't mention prog rock....for obvious reasons!😅😅😅😅😅😅

10 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

No Hip Hop, R&B? Soul?

What does Prince count as? I've listened to all his 70s and 80s albums but I don't know what to categorise it other than "pop". Really good pop though.

33 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

What does Prince count as? I've listened to all his 70s and 80s albums but I don't know what to categorise it other than "pop". Really good pop though.

Pop is a safe bet that covers most bases, although I'd throw in funk and R&B there too, among other things. But he really put his own spin on things.

I get frustrated with genre sometimes because my favorite artists and albums do tend to be things that excel at more than one, including John Williams. One of the reasons I love film music so much is because it's so genre-defying....genre never seems more arbitrary than when I say I'm a fan of "Soundtracks" and "Film Scores." Even within a single score -- or cue! -- I love how genre and style can bounce around indiscriminately.

I love The Beatles just as much as John Williams. Sometimes it makes me feel "basic" that my two all-time favorites are the most popular band and the most popular film composer but I can't argue with the best! I just rewatched the Anthology documentary for like the fifth time last year. If I never get to see Paul McCartney live, it'll be as big of a regret as if I had never gotten to see JW. But I think The Beatles having dipped their toes into so many genres helped make me love looking at music as a big melting pot.

Weird Al was also the first music I ever really got into and I think he just became my model...like "I guess this is what an album is, a polka followed by hip-hop followed by ska"...I'm not sure I ever got over that, which is probably why Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite Williams score. I think Ravel's orchestration of Pictures at an Exhibition is my favorite symphonic piece for similar reasons. 

That said, it mostly narrows down to pop or rock. If I get really excited about something it's usually baroque pop or something with eclectic instrumentation. Bowie, ELO, The Kinks, Queen, Talking Heads, Scott Walker. Always been very into 60s-70s in general, Beach Boys, Moody Blues. I love big reverb-y singing groups like The Supremes and The Four Seasons, anything that sounds like "Then He Kissed Me," the whole Motown and Wall of Sound era. Pianistic singer-songwriters like Zevon, Billy Joel, Elton John, Fiona Apple. Those are some big ones I've listened to tons and have stuck with me awhile.

Love all other types of narrative music like concept albums, musical theatre (got obsessed with Chess a couple years ago, ABBA's a fave). Ballet and program music, as far as classical subgenres go, gravitate more to that than absolute music. I love the Bat Out of Hell albums, Meat Loaf/Jim Steinman have the kind of big showstopping dramatic flair I look for in musicals and film music. Rock opera, The Who for sure, love them in general but definitely Tommy and Quadrophenia and "A Quick One".

Following my love of Weird Al, I love other genre-hopping comedy acts like Flight of the Conchords, or branching out from there to weirdos like Frank Zappa, Sparks, They Might Be Giants. Or even weirder like King Missile, Fluting on the Hump and Mystical Shit speak to me somehow. Anything with a sense of humor, really am not an expert on punk and hip-hop but for all their anger I think they're also the most hilarious when they’re firing that way. The Ramones, Sex Pistols, Kanye, Eminem genuinely crack me up. Also recently for hip-hop, really into Kendrick Lamar, To Pimp a Butterfly is for sure my kind of thing.

And just because I'm binging It's Always Sunny lately, I really do have an unironic love of easy listening. Music like "A Summer Place," could listen to it all day.