Omni Music Publishing to release Jerry Goldsmith's STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE

filmmusic

On 1/15/2021 at 2:08 AM, karelm said:

Instabuy!

I've been meaning to get several of these and so far haven't, because the expensive shipping plus taxes are an expensive combination. But there's just no way around getting this one.

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, ricsim88 said:

It’s out get it fast. They sold over 200 in 20 minutes. 

https://omnimusicpublishing.com/product/jerry-goldsmith-star-trek-the-motion-picture/

Ordered, but damn their shipping costs are pretty eye watering... basically the same again to send to the UK (well, Guernsey!). Oh well, not like I'm going on holiday anywhere any time soon...

59 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

STTMP, Total Recall, and The Matrix: $333.37

And I expect a substantial sum of taxes on top of that.

I have Total Recall. Definitely worth it. 

On 1/14/2021 at 12:31 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

I'm not a music critic, nor a musicologist, and I can't read music, but I'd love to see all this in black and white. It must be staggering to look at.

Well, that's ONE thing you have in common with J.

Wait, this dropped six weeks ago and only this morning I received an e-mail from Omni announcing the release?

Damn.  (More of a Really?!?)

Ordered.  Hope its success will lead to TWOK being released.

Read the e-mail during a Zoom meeting and my face did not hide my reaction.  Somebody got caught not paying attention to the meeting...

IMG_20210308_193841.jpg

€100 of taxes and fees, half of which seem to be incorrect and based on the customs office adding an extra €100 worth of shipping costs to the full sum (which already included shipping) and applying the wrong tax rate.

On 3/8/2021 at 10:59 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

IMG_20210308_193841.jpg

€100 of taxes and fees, half of which seem to be incorrect and based on the customs office adding an extra €100 worth of shipping costs to the full sum (which already included shipping) and applying the wrong tax rate.

One lucky future composer, you are.

Unlikely. I'm just glad I managed to leaf along with Total Recall without losing track. Not that I had much brain space left to pick up much more than the basic rhythms along the way.

10 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Unlikely. I'm just glad I managed to leaf along with Total Recall without losing track. Not that I had much brain space left to pick up much more than the basic rhythms along the way.

What do you get out of it?

7 hours ago, publicist said:

What do you get out of it?

As a byproduct, it might improve my score reading skills. Which should allow me to pick up more details while reading along, and hopefully notice cool little details I didn't consciously hear before. I was already surprised how much of what I unthinkingly just thought of as "synthy" are actually woods. And the analysis foreword provides a good insight in the thematic structure of the score.

25 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

Ah, whut? It has its problems but it’s real Star Trek.

But cropping it to 4:3 really doesn't do it justice.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

But cropping it to 4:3 really doesn't do it justice.

This is from the Special Longer Version Laserdisc. I know it’s a betrayal of the director’s vision, but honestly I like it 1000% more. It’s not just the much-needed extended dialogue scenes (humanizing the characters) and the warmer colors, the 4:3 frame also makes it feel closer, more intimate. More TV-like. Being able to imagine this as a 2-parter television pilot just makes it all the more unpretentious and lovable for me.

2 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

Ah, whut? It has its problems but it’s real Star Trek.

Thematically, yes. On that level, it's far more classically Trekky than a lot of the films that followed. But its pacing is still sooooo much worse than that of the slowest TOS episode. And there's something distinctly...alienating about the whole film. Not in a good way.

Anyway, I really should buy this. The score is indeed still masterful.

4 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

This is from the Special Longer Version Laserdisc. I know it’s a betrayal of the director’s vision, but honestly I like it 1000% more. It’s not just the much-needed extended dialogue scenes (humanizing the characters) and the warmer colors, the 4:3 frame also makes it feel closer, more intimate. More TV-like. Being able to imagine this as a 2-parter television pilot just makes it all the more unpretentious and lovable for me.

I found the snippet above pretty much unwatchable, with literally half the scenes (and sometimes half the actors in a shot) missing. And when the uncropped version had such wonderful widescreen cinematography (including split dipoters).

I'm still hoping they'll eventually re-do the DVD DC effects in high resolution. I've never picked up the existing Blu-ray release.

STTMP is a great film full of wonder and very exotic mystery.  It rivals ST at its best.  I adore this film.  The score is one of the greatest sci-fi scores ever.  If you don't like it, you need to rewatch TOS.  There are many great episodes that use this very same story.  Check out the one with the space amoeba for example.  For most of the duration, they have absolutely no idea what they are facing and its full of reaction shots showing they have never experienced anything like it.  It also has a great character rivalry and existential drama.  I also love TWOK but that covers the other part of what made vintage TOS great.  Half the episodes were cerebral and half were action based but always founded on character relationships, humanistic philosophy, and some pop culture.  The later iterations miss this because they are getting the ratio wrong (too much pop culture and no character relationships/limited humanistic philosophy) and recent ST suffers because of that.  In all of ST, very few episodes ever captured the sense of awe, danger, and mystery as well as this film did.  I am so much enjoying revisiting it with my new Omni score.

B187D741-ACE1-4DD2-BD21-54D71EC0B2B4.JPG

4 hours ago, karelm said:

STTMP is a great film full of wonder and very exotic mystery.  It rivals ST at its best.  I adore this film.  The score is one of the greatest sci-fi scores ever.  If you don't like it, you need to rewatch TOS.  There are many great episodes that use this very same story.  Check out the one with the space amoeba for example.  For most of the duration, they have absolutely no idea what they are facing and its full of reaction shots showing they have never experienced anything like it.  It also has a great character rivalry and existential drama.  I also love TWOK but that covers the other part of what made vintage TOS great.  Half the episodes were cerebral and half were action based but always founded on character relationships, humanistic philosophy, and some pop culture.  The later iterations miss this because they are getting the ratio wrong (too much pop culture and no character relationships/limited humanistic philosophy) and recent ST suffers because of that.  In all of ST, very few episodes ever captured the sense of awe, danger, and mystery as well as this film did.  I am so much enjoying revisiting it with my new Omni score.

B187D741-ACE1-4DD2-BD21-54D71EC0B2B4.JPG

I'll repeat my assertion that the themes and story are right out of TOS; it's the pacing and tone that are way off. I can't imagine the kind of flack a movie would get today if it spent so much of its runtime purely on over-indulgent visual effects that didn't really move the story forward. There isn't a single episode of TOS that does this.

To be clear, there's a lot to love in those beautiful shots. But the film itself feels like it's in love with them.

Good thing Jerry was too!

10 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

It's a slow burn, but it might as well be a Jerry Goldsmith space ballet with nice visuals. It borrows a lot of its shtick from 2001.

I wish I could put my finger on why I think it works for 2001 but not for TMP.

9 hours ago, The Big Man said:

Can you make an OST edit from the printed score?

It's in the exact same order as the 3 CD anniversary soundtrack (CD 1) making it very readable page by page.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Jay said:

Lukas Kendall has written about this book, and Joe Kraemer has made a mockup of one of the 4 never-recorded cues that debuted in it, synched to final film footage

Here's the video:

And here's Lukas's article

That is absolutely terrific and a pretty decent mock-up, we should be grateful for both the consummate skill of Joe Kraemer as well as the fact that modern synth orchestras are surprisingly convincing. I can see why Wise rejected this take on the cue, although transforming Ilia's theme into something almost biblical is quite spine tingling. Man I miss Jerry...

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Too bad they didn't roll tape on the rehearsals of it

Yes indeed! Wise must really not have liked it to not even have a recorded take. A shame as the music is still incredible. I love the use of the blaster beam used as a counterpoint to how how Ilia and V'Ger are intertwined.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I wonder if Kraemer is cooking up mockups for the other 3 unrecorded cues in the book

Given the overwhelmingly positive response, if he isn't, I bet someone else will! On the other hand, they would make great additions to a Tadlow album, such as the selection of suites and themes that rounds out their masterful Blue Max recording.

• 11 months later...
On 14/04/2021 at 3:46 PM, Jay said:

I wonder if Kraemer is cooking up mockups for the other 3 unrecorded cues in the book

Turns out he was, and all four mockups are now available on physical CD from La-La Land Records: https://lalalandrecords.com/star-trek-collection-the-final-frontier-limited-edtion-4-cd-set/

Can somebody who has the book please tell me what the reel/part or scene numbers assigned to the 4 cues are?

Preludium
Total Logic (early version)
Pre-Launch Countdown (early version)
Body Meld (early version)

Thank you!