Star Wars (original trilogy) OST vs. Anthology Set vs. Special Edition Release

WampaRat

Star Wars Trilogy OSTs vs Anthology Set vs 97’ Special Edition  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How do you prefer to listen to these classics?

• OSTs
    • 1993 Anthology Set
    • ‘97 Special Edition Releases
    • Still waiting for the right release;)

The Anthology is hard to beat... but for Empire, the 97 version is the best one, because the Anthology boxset miss the "Mynock Cave" ESSENTIAL cue.

And well, ROTJ, I prefer the original Yub Nub and I can't bare Jedi Rocks.

The anthology set for the OT, forever and ever. I had the three 2CD RCA sets once (the ones in book cover binding), but sold them off. I have everything I need in the Arista box, and then some.

But I also have several related SW albums.

I like the 97' release. I know they are very imperfect but are the ones I listed more. I was about to pick the "I'm waiting for the right release" because definitely I am, but for the time being the 97' is my choice.

I listen to a custom edit of the OT. Never really bother with the Anthology set or SE releases (even more so ROTJ due to the poor sound and special edition tracks). Very occasionally I revisit the original OST sequences as they are a good overview of the scores.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Like Star Trek?

He, he. Well, I got a pretty good ST soundtrack collection too, even if I think the shows and films are silly nonsense.

I was primarily talking about various re-recordings and interpretations. I've got four of them on CD - the Terry Trotter jazz album, the John Rose organ album, the Skywalker album, the Kojian album. And probably some digital ones in addition.

13 minutes ago, Thor said:

He, he. Well, I got a pretty good ST soundtrack collection too, even if I think the shows and films are silly nonsense.

I only know the five Goldsmith scores. I've never seen anything Star Trek related. Should I not catch up on that?

26 minutes ago, Thor said:

I was primarily talking about various re-recordings and interpretations. I've got four of them on CD - the Terry Trotter jazz album, the John Rose organ album, the Skywalker album, the Kojian album. And probably some digital ones in addition.

The Gerhardt albums are mandatory, at least SW and TESB.

29 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The Gerhardt albums are mandatory, at least SW and TESB.

I have never listened to the Gerhardt album before, are they good? Never listened to them as I much prefer the original film recordings.

11 minutes ago, AJM said:

I have never listened to the Gerhardt album before, are they good? Never listened to them as I much prefer the original film recordings.

I like them a lot. ESB includes concert version of Han Solo and the Princess as was written by JW

27 minutes ago, mxsch said:

I like them a lot. ESB includes concert version of Han Solo and the Princess as was written by JW

I will have to give them a listen.

45 minutes ago, AJM said:

Never listened to them as I much prefer the original film recordings.

If you haven't listened to the Gerhardt albums, how do you know you prefer the original recordings? ;)

45 minutes ago, AJM said:

are they good?

Yes.

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

If you haven't listened to the Gerhardt albums, how do you know you prefer the original recordings? ;)

Based on other rerecordings I have listened to for other film scores. Not that all rerecordings are bad but I don't think they are as good as when the composer originally recorded the score for a film. When I listen to the Gerhardt albums, I'll make a judgement whether I prefer the original recording or the rerecording.

I've never cared much for Williams' OST arrangements of the original trilogy (or TPM, although I've been fine with the other five scores).  Sound issues aside, I'll listen to the special editions until something better comes along.

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I only know the five Goldsmith scores. I've never seen anything Star Trek related. Should I not catch up on that?

Yes, get all the feature film scores (at least prior to the Giacchino ones). Rosenman's is the least rewarding, but compared to a lot of his other stuff, fairly accessible. 

Then for TV stuff, get the 30th anniversary CD that covers some great highlights from all TV shows (prior to ENTERPRISE).

By the way, I forgot to say that I also have the Peter Bernstein EWOK album among the SW-related albums, but that's a CD-R.

2 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

The Wrath of Khan gets my highest recommendation of the non-Goldsmith film scores.

As for actually watching anything Star Trek...it's an enormous universe of content, but fortunately a lot of it can be enjoyed just fine without having seen everything before it. The biggest common thread - especially in the shows - is a sense of progressive optimism about humans' ability to work together and overcome their differences in the future, even as they face new challenges. It's much more sci-fi than, say, Star Wars.

Personally, I'm partial to the cheap 60s camp and classic characters of the original series, but The Next Generation is a good place to start if you want something slightly less dated. Stay away if the occasional spurt of inane technobabble is a deal breaker for you. I also don't recommend starting with the films, unless you want to start with the 2009 reboot, since that one's basically an origin story. But even that is more fun if you're familiar with the original series.

Anyway, yay Star Wars!

I watched the old Star Trek movies without watching the show beforehand and it's completely fine, you understand everything going on

The Next Generation Trek movies feel like they make way more references to specific show things, probably because they started making them directly after the show rather than decades later