Phil Spector RIP

bruce marshall

You younguns' may only know him for his murder trial, but he is a giant in the music business..

He appeared briefly in LOVE and MERCY: Al Pacino portrayed him in PHIL SPECTOR; The music producer in BAD TIMES AT THE EL ROYALE was inspired by him.

A pioneer and a major prick.

Rip PS

He was a millionaire at twenty, a washed up recluse at 27..

Check out " Bringing Down the Wall of Sound"  biography.

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

Genius... insanity... so near sometimes...

The thing about him brandishing guns and intimidating people is  very disturbing and makes it impossible to admire the man.

But, the musician was a genius even though he hid it behind made up groups.

We can't deny his influence and realisations. But like you said, the guy was far from being an "hero". Anyway, the 60's and 70's were very troubled years. He was a guy of his time I guess. Destroyed by drugs and alcohol.  Grow older in beauty is not for everyone.

His life resembles that of Charles Foster Kane AND Orson Welles!

He certainly had good qualities . He befriended and supported Lenny Bruce during his years of persecution and addiction.

He was a renegade who helped break the stranglehold the major labels had on pop music.

Then, he became the Establishment and cheated artists just like his predecessors did.

7 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

And that's Phil Spector ..HIMSELF ....completing the drug deal

He was what was happening between the end of rock n roll (Elvis, Buddy Holly..) and the British Invasion..

If you compare the bland pop music of his time , to what he was producing, I.e " You've Lost that Lovin Feeling",   you really appreciate his talent.

This is Lana Clarkson, the 40 year old woman that Phil Spector shot and killed in 2003.  Why does a then-64 year old man murder a 40 year old woman?

Lana_Clarkson_(1962-2003).jpg

The world is a better place with a dead Phil Spector in it.

Spector was always just a 'name' to me. Obviously well aware of his position in music history, and the controversies surrounding the murder, but I never really investigated his work; his "trademarks" as a producer, i.e. the 'wall of sound' thing and all that.

Guy was a genius and one of the single most important figures in 20th century music. My wedding song was one of his, and I love every single one of his "Wall of Sound" era tracks. My all time favourite Christmas song was the one he did with Darlene Love. 

So it's always particularly gutting when a person you really admire turns out to be psychotic monster. But his music will live on, as will his artistry. 

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Guy was a genius and one of the single most important figures in 20th century music. My wedding song was one of his, and I love every single one of his "Wall of Sound" era tracks. My all time favourite Christmas song was the one he did with Darlene Love. 

So it's always particularly gutting when a person you really admire turns out to be psychotic monster. But his music will live on, as will his artistry. 

Assuming you're talking specifically about "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)"?

Because I just have to mention, I only just became aware last month of his famous A Christmas Gift For You album (where Darlene features in four songs!) and realizing how many of my favorite Christmas recordings came off that one album. The Wall of Sound will always be an instant sweet spot for me.

As for the murder of Lana Clarkson and the rest I've read about him, I won't give him the courtesy of an RIP since what good he had to offer as a person is -- I suppose unfairly but also fortunately for him and us -- very much still alive and thriving.

I wanted to listen to some Spector Productions yesterday, to realize after listenin to a dozen of songs, that I don't like those productions, they are not among my favourite "oldies".

So I don't like the Phil Spector "sound".

Period.