CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO: I could REALLY use your feedback

Erik Woods

So, I'm trying a new kind of show where I don't script any of it. I just ramble on about various film, TV and video music topics and play a little music. I uploaded the pilot episode today and I would really like it if you would have a listen and offer some honest feedback. Ad libbing isn't my area of expertise and I just want to make sure that this is worth continuing. Thanks.

Here's the link
http://www.cinematicsound.net/ad-lib-with-erik-woods-pilot-episode/

Also available through your favourite podcast provider.

Cheers,

-Erik-

I just listened to this first episode, @Erik Woods -- and I like it. A lot.

I played it as I was working, much in the way I would occasionally have sports radio playing in the background. The off-script nature of this podcast works really well for me, because I like being able to have it on while doing something else. The ability to put 40% of my attention to the podcast while putting the rest to another task appeals to me as making good use of my time. Not to say that your material isn't worth 100% of a person's attention, of course, but somehow, psychologically, I think of an ad lib show as less "lecture" (requiring devoted listening) and more "conversation" (where you can still get 90% of the content/message through more passive listening). That makes it more likely that I'll tune in, actually, because the usual film score podcast (like yours, or Trumpeteer's, or TownerFan's) rewards active listening and I often find it harder to make time for that.

I'll also take a moment to say that I love your speaking manner. It's almost ASMR-like. Obviously it must have come from your years and years of podcasting, but man, you have a cadence and lilt that just gladdens my ears. And I don't think I heard a single filler word in your 80 minutes of ad-libbing. That's talent right there.

Keep these coming! I'm definitely a fan.

19 hours ago, Bayesian said:

I just listened to this first episode, @Erik Woods -- and I like it. A lot.

Thank you!

I played it as I was working, much in the way I would occasionally have sports radio playing in the background. The off-script nature of this podcast works really well for me, because I like being able to have it on while doing something else. The ability to put 40% of my attention to the podcast while putting the rest to another task appeals to me as making good use of my time. Not to say that your material isn't worth 100% of a person's attention, of course, but somehow, psychologically, I think of an ad lib show as less "lecture" (requiring devoted listening) and more "conversation" (where you can still get 90% of the content/message through more passive listening). That makes it more likely that I'll tune in, actually, because the usual film score podcast (like yours, or Trumpeteer's, or TownerFan's) rewards active listening and I often find it harder to make time for that.

Point taken.

I'll also take a moment to say that I love your speaking manner. It's almost ASMR-like. Obviously it must have come from your years and years of podcasting, but man, you have a cadence and lilt that just gladdens my ears. And I don't think I heard a single filler word in your 80 minutes of ad-libbing. That's talent right there.

Keep these coming! I'm definitely a fan.

You are far too kind.  Thanks for taking the time to listen and for your feedback. I hope you enjoy all future episodes!

Cheers,

-ERik-

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I find this concept intriguing, and will give it a listen when I find time.

Thanks. Looking forward to reading what you have to say.

-Erik-

Feedback

I think it's a fun episode, and you're good at rambling. ;) I like that it requires less attantion than your usual episodes, making it easier to listen to when most of my brain is occupied with work.

You're not talking as fast as you do in your regular episodes, which I experienced as a positive change. I'm guessing this is because you're not reading a script.

I like your frankness when talking about specific recordings, and agree that sound effects definitely are a no-go.

I agree that your voice is pleasant to listen to. Is it naturally this smooth, or do you have to do some warm-up exercises before recording? I do voice warm-up exercises myself before important meetings, and it has a huge effect on the clarity of my voice.

Have you considered getting a co-host that you can discuss with? I don't know, but perhaps that would make it easier to do such unscripted shows.

Bottom line: great work!

Title suggestions

Soundtrack impro

Unscripted

Untracked

Comments

Regarding organizing your CD collection, I'm sure the amount of work at least quadruples with a doubling of the collection!

It's indeed fascinating to hear re-recordings of great scores! I was also blown away by The Welcoming when hearing it the first time, and the Silva re-recording is so full of energy! That was from their interesting early era before they downgraded to recording in Prague... ;) I don't have many western soundtracks in my collection, but this one's mandatory!

Hi Erik,

now I also listened to your pilot episode and I found it quite entertaining.

Really thanks for sharing this.

You have really a pleasant way of speaking and your information and oppinion is always interesting. So, the concept overall works fine for me, but...

two things you might consider for improvement: 

First, I think, there is some information valuable getting before hearing the music and some better getting after hearing the music. Especially when it is not about facts but when it comes to your oppinion about the music or the movie I would rather like to hear it after I could make my own impression on the music before. I would play at least the first piece of music for a particular film earlier in the section. I mean, you know what you are talking about, but people listening probably don't because they heaven't listened to the music yet.

At least that's what I ofthen thought while you were talking "play the music man, play the music! What are you talking about?" and after the music "Now I would like to re-listen what you said about it." 

Second thing; I as a listener would like to get some more context on the particular musical piece before you play it. What scene does it accompany? Is this just a suite of main themes? The opening or end titles? A battle or a love scene? A dialogue scene? In which part of the movie? At least the title of the piece you give some context.

Does this make any sense to you?

54 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I would rather like to hear it after I could make my own impression on the music before.

I'm not Erik, but I think expressing subjective opinions is a good way to create expectations before listening to the music.

18 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm not Erik, but I think expressing subjective opinions is a good way to create expectations before listening to the music.

Might be. As I said, just my personal feeling while hearing it.

By the way, what I really liked was the section of the Prokofiev soundtrack where you gave the people something at hand to pay special attention to in the music. Please more of that. I think, for Tora! Tora! Tora! You did as well. That's really good.

9 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

By the way, what I really liked was the section of the Prokofiev soundtrack where you have the people something at Hand to play special attention to in the music. Please more of that. I think, for Tora! Tora! Tora! You did as well. That's really good.

Agreed!

I loved the new concept.  One of the bittersweet parts of my maturing awareness as a film score fan over the past decade (a maturation in which you, sir, have played no small part) is that I used to learn about new releases from Cinematic Sound, and now I've moved upstream to the source, so to speak, usually hearing about things from the FSM board or from the labels themselves.  That's why I grew to appreciate your appearances on The Soundcast, where you could spend more time giving opinions and less on introductions.  This felt like a Woods-only version of a Soundcast episode in certain entertaining ways.  I'd definitely tune in again.

P.S. Alphabetically by composer all the way, and alphabetically by title within composer sections, except for series scored by a single composer, which go chronologically within the alphabetical spot for the title of the series, of course. :D

No, I really do appreciate it and I've been meaning to respond but I'm just so busy right now.  

At the moment, I'm not sure I want to continue with the new format... at least not by myself. 

Give me a few more days to get everything under control and then I'll come back and respond to each of you and your suggestions. 

I really do appreciate the time you all took to listen and offer your thoughts.

Cheers,