Williams' 2001-2005 film scores

Jay

Yesterday I randomly realized that we're now in a world where as much of JW's 2001-2005 feature film output has been expanded than hasn't been!

Expanded:

1. A.I. Artificial Intelligence
  2. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
  3. Minority Report
  4. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
  5. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
  6. War of the Worlds

Not Expanded:

1. Attack of the Clones
  2. Catch Me If You Can
  3. The Terminal
  4. Revenge of the Sith
  5. Memoirs of a Geisha
  6. Munich

When you factor in that Memoirs and Munich aren't possible until the union fees change, we're 6/10ths of the way through what can be!

Here's hoping Disney Records makes AOTC and ROTS happen, and a specialty label is interested in CMIYC and The Terminal!

Growing up waiting decades for my favorite 70s-90s scores to get expanded, it's great that so much he did in the early 2000s is already expanded!

Which of these expansions have you enjoyed the most, and which are you looking forward to being next up?

I have nothing whatsoever to contribute in terms of expansion talk, but this was a great period for JW. In my opinion, his last best - adding a maturity to his style and often venturing outside his 'usual zone' while keeping the focus and thematic identity of his past. His late blossoming period, if you will.

18 minutes ago, Thor said:

I have nothing whatsoever to contribute in terms of expansion talk, but this was a great period for JW. In my opinion, his last best - adding a maturity to his style and often venturing outside his 'usual zone' while keeping the focus and thematic identity of his past. His late blossoming period, if you will.

You're forgetting The Post.

I'm pretty sure that expansions of Catch me if You Can and The Terminal will happen someday. And, who knows, maybe Geisha will be able to be expanded in the future. I'd say it's a stronger possibility than Disney hiring Matessino to do the 9 SW scores.

I feel like it's the least wanted out of the bunch, but I'm most excited for Attack of the Clones. I think the lack of interest has made people not realize how much is missing that we still don't have, where the vast, vast majority of Revenge of the Sith was pulled from video games for years after.

From the not yet expanded the least I am waiting for an expansion of Munich. The about three themes already have plenty of variatios and repetitions on the original album. Here I don't expect much benefit from an expansion. Very different for the other mentioned scores. Apart from the SW scores I am still mostly looking forward to an expansion of Catch Me if You Can.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I thought we had most of AOTC from games now too? 

I could be missing something, but I think a lot of the stuff missing from AOTC was the softer stuff that's less likely to be in an action game. 

Plus, by the time they had a lot of the games coming out with the unreleased music, Sith was the most recent movie so they pulled from that more.

I'd be happy to be corrected, though.

16 hours ago, Jay said:

Yesterday I randomly realized that we're now in a world where as much of JW's 2001-2005 feature film output has been expanded than hasn't been!

Expanded:

1. A.I. Artificial Intelligence
  2. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
  3. Minority Report
  4. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
  5. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
  6. War of the Worlds

Not Expanded:

1. Attack of the Clones
  2. Catch Me If You Can
  3. The Terminal
  4. Revenge of the Sith
  5. Memoirs of a Geisha
  6. Munich

When you factor in that Memoirs and Munich aren't possible until the union fees change, we're 6/10ths of the way through what can be!

Here's hoping Disney Records makes AOTC and ROTS happen, and a specialty label is interested in CMIYC and The Terminal!

Growing up waiting decades for my favorite 70s-90s scores to get expanded, it's great that so much he did in the early 2000s is already expanded!

Which of these expansions have you enjoyed the most, and which are you looking forward to being next up?

Expansions that I have enjoyed the most: A. I. (a true eye-opener on a masterpiece) and Azkaban. 

Most desired: it would be Memoirs, if it were possible, but since it isn't, definitely ROTS and then AOTC. I do not expect CMIYC and The Terminal to contain much more great material than what is already included in the OSTs, so I would give them a lower priority. I would surely buy them as well, however.

I've enjoyed all of the expanded scores during this time-frame, but I'd have to put the Sorcerer's Stone at the top with the other two right behind it.  Such a wealth of music, 8 hours!  :)

I still haven't seen Geisha, I need to rent it sometime, so I still can't fully get behind the music yet, although it is nice to listen to.  For me, I need to see the movie to appreciate the music more.

That being said, my most wanted would be CMIYC and Terminal.  The movies and music are both fantastic IMO. 

While the OST is a good listen, CMIYC has songs on it, which I cannot stand to have "pop" songs included on a score release.  Same thing with BOTFOJ, JFK, and Always.  At least with Home Alone, they had a separate album with the Christmas songs, which in this case worked.  

Terminal's OST is also a good listening experience but is so out of chronological order it makes me want a C&C release that much more.

11C [2:06-end]    Gupta's Deliverance    1:12 = exact repeat of track 5's ending

13B [1:33-end]    The Tale Of Viktor Navorski (Reprise)    3:32 = exact repeat of track 1 (with a minor edit)

14A [0:00-1:44]    A Happy Navorski Ending    1:44 = exact repeat of track 2's opening