HBO Max Orders Batman: Caped Crusader Animated Series

Jay

DC Universe is no more, but DC Comics properties remain a priority for WarnerMedia. Now, they're heading to HBO Max as the company looks to increase its subscriber count (and how better to do that than with superheroes?). It seems the plan is to hit us right in the nostalgia "feels," though, because a sequel to Batman: The Animated Series is reportedly in the works. 

The news was shared on Kevin Smith's Fatman Beyond podcast when co-host Marc Bernardin shared a rumour that "HBO Max is looking at making a Batman: The Animated Series sequel that they want to continue that forward." Smith would add to this point, noting that, "I'm not involved, but I too have heard this and I've heard this from very reliable people."

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman/batman_animated/batman-the-animated-series-sequel-reportedly-in-development-for-hbo-max-a181770

When they say that they want to continue the legacy of the original series I hope they mean the original 65 episodes plus Mask of the Phantasm. It's what I think when I talk about the show. Nothing that came after really managed to recapture the magic. Not really.

Karol

9 minutes ago, crocodile said:

When they say that they want to continue the legacy of the original series I hope they mean the original 65 episodes plus Mask of the Phantasm. It's what I think when I talk about the show. Nothing that came after really managed to recapture the magic. Not really.

Karol

Indeed. Things were never quite the same after the redesign

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

Karol

Yes.

The full length films are just ' crash and bang'😞

2 hours ago, The Big Man said:

I watched MOTP last week and was bewildered at how fucking boring it was. Even Walker's score was annoying as fuck, especially that horrendous main title.

IV just lost whatever respect I had left for you

An ADULT version of the original could be epic!

Could.....

N20200830_135826.jpg

This is the Holy Text:

20210119_113511.jpg

This is the Holy Text:

The DC-only video-plus-comics streaming service DC Universe has folded.  All of the video content is moving to HBO MAX and the comics content is moving/being rebranded as DC Universe Infinite (to compete directly with Marvel's comics subs service Marvel Unlimited).

This is the part where I piss people off by saying I think Batman Beyond's storytelling was usually better than TAS. A good number of TAS episodes--particularly the earlier ones--leave me feeling empty by the end, like not much happened, or that there was a lot of missed potential. Episodes like the Two-Face origin are still absolute classics, though.

On the subject of Beyond though, I'm guessing this would be before that? I really don't know how much they can recapture the aesthetics of the original, with cast and crew departed, such as Ansara and Walker, or with people like Hamill whose voices have evolved into an almost unrecognizable timbre.

7 hours ago, Romão said:

I just hope Paul Dini and Bruce Timm are involved. And that they keep the high standards of music of the original show

After Shirley's death,  I contacted the SF CHRONICLE and urged them to publish an obituary.

I used this opportunity to champion her BTAS work- unreleased at the time.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/12/10/BAGJGMSURB1.DTL

3 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Do we really, though?

...Yes? I'm more used to the Arkham version of the Joker than I am the animated series to the point that his voice throws me off more in the original than it does now

Nothing seemed off with that performance at all

7 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

That was kinda fun...can’t see what the problem is.

Yavar

It, and the series as a whole is cute fun, but

7 hours ago, blondheim said:

Are we talking about the rasp? Because it's an improvement

I am not a fan of this rasp.

• 3 months later...

HBO Max and Cartoon Network has ordered a new Batman animated series called Batman: Caped Crusader. It will be executive produced by Bruce Timm, J.J. Abrams, and Matt Reeves. This is the first time Timm has returned to Batman for an animated series since the Emmy Award-winning Batman: The Animated Series.

LOVE that poster. Going back to the old 1940s serial roots. Reminds me of this old poster.

I hope they don’t chicken out and feel the need to do a more “modern score” to offset the throwback nature of what  they appear to be doing. They seem prone to do that nowadays.
 “We didn’t want to alienate the audience with an old fashioned score on top of our old fashioned aesthetic...” 🙄

131476AC-A3E5-43A7-928B-7326D8607C71.jpeg

That poster art is a clear call back to the cover of Detective Comics 31, from 1939:

67e9dfea60197b53e65a371cc341acf4.jpg

Really looking forward to this. I just hope the musical standards have not been lowered. And I really hope they don't use Giacchino's theme

Is JJ Abrams taking control of the DC universe?

2 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

OH PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE let Bruce Timm bring back as many composers as possible from the incredible 90s series' Shirley Walker stable... Lolita Ritmanis, Michael McCuiston, Carlos Rodriguez, Carl Johnson.... literally anyone and everyone they can get back. Please, score gods. Pretty please.

Yavar

I agree but with JJ and Matt Reeves,  this could also point to Michael Giacchino being involved.

Either one is a win win for me.

11 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I wonder if it will be hand drawn or cg made to look hand drawn?

It doesn't make sense to bring this back and change the style

They haven't said whether this is a continuation of B:TAS at this time.  Considering that would be a major selling point, I'm assuming this is more of a spiritual successor rather than a full blown continuation.  They have been doing comics recently titled Batman: The Adventures Continue which directly follow B:TAS if you're interested in that storyline, but I imagine this will try to do its own thing while invoking some of that earlier style that made B:TAS so great and endearing still 30 years later.

• 4 months later...

Great use of music by the great Shirley Walker, Carl Johnson (I noticed some “Beware the Grey Ghost”), and others in that promotional vid… I really hope this indicates they’ll be employing some of the composers who worked with Shirley on the original animated series a quarter century ago, and I really really hope it indicates they’ll be given a budget for a real orchestra rather than having to use samples as on Justice League.

Yavar

• 4 months later...

EVERY animated iteration of BATMAN since TAS has been dreadful.

The most recent one I watched, HUSH, is.the last one I will watch unless....

this new version actually follows the template of TAS.

• 5 months later...
25 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

This could have one bright side, though: to keep Abrams away from DC properties.

Hey now, Abrams is pretty good at starting things...he just doesn't often stick the landing. ;)

And since DC stuff tends to go on for ever and ever without ending, maybe that doesn't matter too much.

Yavar

• 6 months later...

Hopefully the other creatives can keep Timm in check, as his last couple of things he's done with DC have been far less than stellar. Without Conroy and Hamill, I don't know how interested in this I really am, but I'm a huge Batman guy so I'm sure I'll watch the entire series whether I like it or not.

Hell, I watched the entire Beware the Bat and I'm sure most don't even remembers that existed.

• 10 months later...