The Naked Gun Reboot: Liam Neeson as Lt. Frank Drebin?

Interesting development in the long-gestating reboot of (arguably) the greatest comedy of all time.

Not only does Seth McFarlane appear to be developing the project (ugh), but it seems he and the studio have approached Liam Neeson to take over the iconic role of Lt. Frank Drebin (brilliantly portrayed by Leslie Nielsen in the original films).

Now that he may be easing back from these high-powered roles, comedy may be on the horizon for the actor.

"I've been approached by Seth McFarlane and Paramount Studios to maybe resurrect the Naked Gun films," he told People (the TV Show!).

He jokes, "It'll either finish my career or bring it in another direction. I honestly don't know."

Even though I don't care for the idea of rebooting Naked Gun, I actually think Neeson would be a great choice to succeed Nielsen. It follows the model of hiring a dramatic actor and playing it straight, blissfully unaware of the chaos unfolding as a result of their incompetence.

At least McFarlane is probably more likely to hire Ira Newborn for the score, which is an important factor in these films. I believe he's a teacher nowadays?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm totally on board with this and Neeson, even if I'm not expecting much. But ya never know. 

Leslie Nielsen… Liam Neeson… is this just because of the name?

'Meet Lt. Frank Drebin ... if he has a 'certain set of skills', they're very well-hidden'.  

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Leslie Nielsen… Liam Neeson… is this just because of the name?

Surely you can't be serious?

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

I don't know, maybe after years playing action heroes capable of killing many guns, will the audience accept Neeson as an incompetent and dumb police officer?

I think that's the genius of casting him in the role; he would play it totally straight while all the comedy unfolds around him. I think the contrast would be quite amusing.

Check out this skit between Neeson and Ricky Gervais. He plays it deathly serious and the result is hilarious:

Please let it be cancelled like so many other recent attempts at remakes. Modern Hollywood will never get comedy as good as that right. 

18 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Will it be funny?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

...probably not, no.

Yes, same here. And I'm a fan of MacFarlane too. Could be good, could be a dud (like the PINK PANTHER remake). Time will tell. A new NAKED GUN movie is not something I'm anxiously waiting for anyway, so I'll take it as it comes.

They need to hire someone who has a sense for visual jokes. That's where everything clicks with Airplane and Naked Gun, when the joke is good on paper but is amped up on camera.

And if that don't work, throw an extra joke on the background.

I'm midly curious about this having the Airplane parody MacFarlane did on Ted. But don't let him direct it! He has zero eye for staging a scene properly xD

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

There’s no mention of Neeson as Drebin in the article. This reboot has been in the works for years with Ed Helms. Neeson could very well just be the chief. 

Well, if Ed Helms is the star then it's gotta be good right...?

5 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Won't they replace Frank Drebin with a woman now? Worked perfectly in Ghostbusters and Ocean's 8. Didn't it?

Francine Debrin isn't supposed to be very intelligent, so they will never go for a woman.

What about a transgender person? Would that be OK?

2 hours ago, superultramegaa said:

Well, if Ed Helms is the star then it's gotta be good right...?

They'll have to wait at least 20 years for him to get old enough.