Why John Williams Is The Greatest - Youtube Video by Charles Cornell

Faleel

29 minutes ago, Quintus said:

He called them songs. 

Get out. 

Yeah. At this point in time, after having researched his work and life in-depth for three decades, I'm really only interested in hearing from people that I know are fellow,  hardcore Williams/film music experts, not random Joes or people without the in-depth, detailed knowledge required. At least not for the podcast/Youtube thing; for messageboards, it's a different thing. In other words, I read Jeff Eldridge's site and I listen to TownerFan's podcast (well, at least I intend to, haven't started yet), but not much else.

I tolerated it because, you know, he’s right. But even admitting that he doesn’t know the name of the themes he’s analyzing (and playing some incorrect notes and chords along the way) is just kind of meh.

Thank god there isn't much snobbery here :thumbup: I mean.... heaven forbid a guy tries to show a bit of interest in something and wants to share it with other people. Tell you what... I bet the fans of John Williams would welcome this with smiles. It's always lovely to know that this music has touched someone, isn't it? 

Ah. Maybe not. 

Pretty happy to be in the minority here. I thought his level of excitement and admiration was lovely to watch. 

35 minutes ago, Oomoog the Ecstatic said:

Can I call you Big Willy?

if you reeeeeeeeally want to

27 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Sure I appreciated his enthusiasm.  That makes it an interesting, knowledgeable and informative video?  Nope.

Maybe just not for you, or for us. (There is always the distinct possibility, that not everything with the words John and Williams attached to it is aimed at we high and mighty knowledgeable folk.) But it doesn't mean we have to crap on the poor guy's efforts. As a musician myself, I enjoyed the parts where he was trying to work out the chords. Very interesting. Bordering on informative I might even say!:)

11 hours ago, bigjimwilson said:

if you reeeeeeeeally want to

Maybe just not for you, or for us. (There is always the distinct possibility, that not everything with the words John and Williams attached to it is aimed at we high and mighty knowledgeable folk.) But it doesn't mean we have to crap on the poor guy's efforts.

I can only speak for myself, but I was not "crapping on the poor guy's effort". As you say, I appreciate the man's enthusiasm. I'm just saying this kind of stuff holds no value to me, personally, these days. I require the person communicating something about Williams to at least be on my own level or knowledge, or beyond, for me to actually sit down and listen/watch.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

I can only speak for myself, but I was not "crapping on the poor guy's effort". As you say, I appreciate the man's enthusiasm. I'm just saying this kind of stuff holds no value to me, personally, these days. I require the person communicating something about Williams to at least be on my own level or knowledge, or beyond, for me to actually sit down and listen/watch.

Sorry if I came across grumpy mate. I certainly wasn't wanting to throw any insults about. But in the same spirit, I just felt everyone was being un-necessarily dismissive of the guy. Spider-Fal shared the video, I assume because they thought we might get some enjoyment out of it. But instead it was said the video creator should "get out," and he was labelled "annoying" and "bumbling." Someone (obviously... I know... 'jokingly') said "kill him," and he was "tolerated." How gracious. 

I don't even know why I felt such an urge to stick up for him. I just wonder where the encouragement is, sometimes. In a community like this. And sure, the creator of the video might not even read these comments. (I hope to God he doesn't.) But if he did, wouldn't it be nicer to read "Good job... you've scratched the surface. Come discuss things with us, we'll help you peel away all the deliciously complicated layers and discover even more." ?? I think it's food for thought. But it means I've got two feet firmly in the boat for jwfan being ambassadors for Williams fandom. 

If none of you are on board with what I've said, fair enough. You can chalk it up to lockdown fever. :lol:

Sure, that's a fair argument, Jim. Some of the comments here were overblown. Personally, I just used the thread as a jump-off point for talking about what type of Williams material I prefer to read/listen to/watch at this point in time. Incidentally, I'm equally uninterested in the many superficial interviews done by major publications these days (which, sadly, are the only ones Williams says yes to). I skim through them, but expect no reward. Heck, same with most new compilations too. I've just grown tired of swirling around the same old tired tropes, answers, scores, general assessments, what-have-you, while I HUNGER for detailed, in-depth, obscure stuff. But that's just me. As a general thing, I applaud anyone being enthusiastic about the work of JW, and their desire to share said enthusiasm.

• 3 years later...
On 24/01/2021 at 5:22 PM, bigjimwilson said:

Pretty happy to be in the minority here. I thought his level of excitement and admiration was lovely to watch. 

I'll get in the minority box with you. I'm coming down on his side on this one.

He uses the songs term but I interpreted that more in the context of melodies that are so long lined and structured that they could turn into actual songs.

As for not knowing the names of a few SW themes... I know the first one is Leia's theme but I don't know the given name for the other one. Similar to if he said he didn't know the name of the LotR theme he played - well, I couldn't tell you with 100% certainty what the 'official' name is for that theme and it's one of my favourites scores of all time.

His musical analysis is pretty much bang on for my technical level (although granted, his analysis of LotR a while back on how a sad theme is sad, was a load of rubbish) and there are plenty of more casual Williams or soundtrack fans who will enjoy this.

But I suspect I know why no one ultimately likes this video or the guy's views....... he said he likes Zimmer :devil: :P