Christophe Beck's WANDAVISION (2021)

Jay

Disney Records is releasing OST albums for each episode 1 week after they air

Episode 1

500x500bb.webp

1 A Newlywed Couple by Kristen Anderson-Lopez & Sara Mann & Jessica Rotter & Cindy Bourquin & Elyse Willis & Laura Dickinson & Robert Lopez & Eric Bradley & Greg Whipple & Jasper Randall & Gerald White 0:54
2 Toast-Mate 2000 0:53
3 Dinner Is Served 0:25
4 Calendar Confusion 1:04
5 Frog in My Throat 1:48
6 Thank You for Coming 0:44
7 Parcheesi 1:03
8 Rings 0:36
9 Wanda's Theme (End Credits from "WandaVision") 1:47

TOTAL TIME - 9:14

https://music.apple.com/us/album/wandavision-episode-1-original-soundtrack/1549733599

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08TG6ZF9Y

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/wandavision-episode-1-various-artists/e6xqfop6wxdtc

Episode 2

500x500bb.webp

1 WandaVision! by Kristen Anderson-Lopez & Sara Mann & Jessica Rotter & Cindy Bourquin & Elyse Willis & Laura Dickinson & Robert Lopez & Eric Bradley & Greg Whipple & Jasper Randall & Gerald White 0:53
2 Rehearsal 0:55
3 Unwelcome Visitor 0:59
4 Strucker 0:37
5 Giddy Up 0:32
6 Beekeeper 1:05
7 Exit Stage Left 1:44
8 It's Really Happening 0:52

TOTAL TIME - 7:27

https://music.apple.com/us/album/wandavision-episode-2-original-soundtrack/1549728596

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08TFVK7WQ/

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/wandavision-episode-2-various-artists/berb7nft3677a

Can't find either on Spotify US yet, nor Tidal or HDTracks

Look at the length of these cues. I can listen to each album while taking a dump!

There's certainly no need for one album per episode. With cues this short, they could just release one single album of highlights of the entire season.

Mandalorian Season 2, on the other hand, would certainly benefit for an album per episode.

I listened to both OST albums

The songs that open each album by the Frozen guys are fun!   They worked great in the show and I was surprised how well they worked for me again here

The fake commercial cues ("Toast-Mate 2000" in episode 1 and "Strucker" in episode 2) are fine for what they are, nothing I'll ever want to listen to over and over again

The best cue from either album is the End Credits cue, appearing only on the Episode 1 album.  It definitely reveals that there is more going on than there appears in the narrative, and feels like a subdued version of a major MCU film theme.  I wonder if it will change as the episodes go on

So that leaves the episodic underscore.  Episode 2's is way better than Episode 1's. 

Episode 1 is mostly just basic 50s sitcom type stuff, though "That You For Coming" and "Rings" are pretty good highlight tracks that are a bit more than that.

Episode 2's score is pretty solid all the way through, which much more imaginative 60s style scoring, and then fully modern stuff in "The Beekeeper", which immediately grabs you and tells you there is more going on than all previous music suggested.  After that, "Exit Stage Left" is kind of an interesting cue the way it starts retro as hell, gets more modern in the middle, then ends with a classic Hollywood romance sound.  "It's Really Happening" sounds like a nice wrap up of the whole 50s-60s sound since it looks like things are moving past that with episode 3.

Looking forward to checking out each new EP for the next 7 Fridays

44 minutes ago, Jay said:

I listened to both OST albums

The songs that open each album by the Frozen guys are fun!   They worked great in the show and I was surprised how well they worked for me again here

The fake commercial cues ("Toast-Mate 2000" in episode 1 and "Strucker" in episode 2) are fine for what they are, nothing I'll ever want to listen to over and over again

The best cue from either album is the End Credits cue, appearing only on the Episode 1 album.  It definitely reveals that there is more going on than there appears in the narrative, and feels like a subdued version of a major MCU film theme.  I wonder if it will change as the episodes go on

So that leaves the episodic underscore.  Episode 2's is way better than Episode 1's. 

Episode 1 is mostly just basic 50s sitcom type stuff, though "That You For Coming" and "Rings" are pretty good highlight tracks that are a bit more than that.

Episode 2's score is pretty solid all the way through, which much more imaginative 50s style scoring, and then fully modern stuff in "The Beekeeper", which immediately grabs you and tells you there is more going on than all previous music suggested.  After that, "Exit Stage Left" is kind of an interesting cue the way it starts retro as hell, gets more modern in the middle, then ends with a classic Hollywood romance sound.  "It's Really Happening" sounds like a nice wrap up of the whole 50s sound since it looks like things are moving past that with episode 3.

Looking forward to checking out each new EP for the next 7 Fridays

IIUC Episode 1 was 50's while Episode 2  was more 60's

I think the show is havin quite a success and I am personally really liking it for what it is. It's obvious there's a bigger narrative going on and people should just wait and see things slowly unfold, as they have been doing these last three episodes

As for the score, it's not something I would really listen to outside the show, but in it, I think it works great, with each episode making homage to a particular era. First was the 50's and the 60's and this week with the 70's and I think Beck's score and the theme songs are great! I love that from time to time Beck also manages to introduce some more modern sounds when this "illusion" starts to fade.

I think this is what Marvel should do from now on. Try new things and go many different paths from what they have already done

3 minutes ago, Knight of Ren said:

I think this is what Marvel should do from now on. Try new things and go many different paths from what they have already done

Agreed. They've been doing "epic super-hero spectacle" for over 10 years, it's about time they try something a little more risky.

On the other hand, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier looks like your average MCU movie, only longer. *Sigh*

5 hours ago, Jay said:

yes, episode 1 was I Love Lucy riffs and episode 2 was Bewitched riffs

I think they cast their nets a bit wider than that (episode 2 was also riffing on stuff like The Dick Van Dyke Show, for example), but basically that's it, exactly.

Yavar

16 hours ago, Jay said:

1 A Newlywed Couple by Kristen Anderson-Lopez & Sara Mann & Jessica Rotter & Cindy Bourquin & Elyse Willis & Laura Dickinson & Robert Lopez & Eric Bradley & Greg Whipple & Jasper Randall & Gerald White 0:54

Jesus, the credits list is longer the entire tracklist of the album!

I imagine they must be, as the episode 2 song doesn't even have any lyrics beyond saying "WandaVision!" a few times

Episode 3 seemed to feature more score than either of the first 2 episodes, I think.  Although I don't really pay attention to the score too close, just taking the show in on first watch

Listened to these a couple of times each today.  Both albums are good and you can feel the slow creep towards where it's going even in the music.  While I like it, the music isn't so vital and urgent that it required a bunch of immediate ten-minute albums over a CD-length release.

Yea, Disney Records did things backwards here.

Mandalorian Season 2 should have had 8 individual albums.  WandaVision should have had one (or two, if later episodes have way more music) arranged albums.

Oh well.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm sure these were decisions made by completely different groups of people with no consultation or consideration of what the others were doing.

Yea, very likely true.  It was probably Goransson who felt his season 2 scores weren't up to par with season 1's due to covid recording restrictions and heavy use of tracked music so requested an arranged album.

But I don't have to agree with him!

E4 album is live now.

1.  The Awakening   2:19

2.  Three Weeks Later  2:17

3.  Westview  2:42

4.  S.W.O.R.D. 1:01

5.  The Players  2:02

6.  Stay Tunes 2:28

7.  Everything is Under Control 1:01

8.  Mission Failure  1:48

9.  Who Are You?  2:35

I hadn't listened to the episode 3 OST album yet so I did so a bit ago.  I loved it!  The 70s style was really great - probably my favorite album of the 3 overall.

Listening to the episode 4 OST album now.  It's pretty good.  It's somewhat "generic 2010s superhero film scoring", but at times it feels a bit better than that, like both his Ant-man scores were.

I think since the show is a slow burn and still holding back so much, the score kind of is too, I guess.

Every week, the end credits theme from the first episode's album makes more sense though

I wouldn't suppose that any of you creative types out there could make a nice piece of custom album cover art to use so I can combine all these mini-albums together in one larger one? The little broken up albums for each episode drives me nuts when they're in my iTunes, it would be nice if I could combine them and create each episode as a new "disc number" within the one album instead.

Any plans to tackle artwork for this series @tintacle? You're quite the custom album art wizard and I loved what you were able to do for the second season of the Mandalorian!

Either way, I have attached a few files with quintessential promo designs for the series... would really could if we could get a few options even! Obviously these may not all be high quality enough to work with, these are just mostly provided as examples of what I was kind of thinking for it. 

Anyway, it would be much-appreciated if anybody feels up to it!! :D

EoZhDrNXIAMUYKd.jpg

andy-park-andypark-wandavision.jpg

MV5BYjJiZmE5ZDgtYWUxZi00MWI1LTg2MmEtZmUwZGE2YzRkNTE5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

wandavision-key-art-marvel-disney-plus-1237740.jpeg

On 1/22/2021 at 4:06 PM, Jay said:

What kind of orgy is this?

On 1/23/2021 at 2:21 AM, Spider-Fal said:

Some of those are the vocalists no?

On 1/24/2021 at 11:41 AM, Jay said:

I imagine they must be, as the episode 2 song doesn't even have any lyrics beyond saying "WandaVision!" a few times

1000x1000bb.webp

1 Making It Up As We Go Along 1:42

2 Ten Years Old 0:36

3 Lagos 0:30

4 Evaluation 3:08

5 Family Is Forever 0:53

6 Missile Strike 4:02

7 Cue Credits 0:29

8 Ode to Sparky 1:38

9 Pietro 3:11

TOTAL TIME - 16:22

https://open.spotify.com/album/6eSgGEfhaA2Hq4mNQuVrYh?si=TcMlrbXIQX2Lx72D5O-cRw

https://music.apple.com/us/album/wandavision-episode-5-original-soundtrack/1553135040

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08WF7ZMK1

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/wandavision-episode-5-kristen-anderson-lopez-robert-lopez-christophe-beck/k2gdgjkskiobb

Just got done listening.  The song this time is probably my least favorite of the 4, but I never really watched Growing Pains growing up so I don't appreciate it like others might.

The 80s sitcom tracks (2, 5, 7, 8) are pretty good!  Nothing deep, but a fun exercise.

The real world tracks (4, 6, 9) are definitely the best real world tracks yet!  Actually had a nice momentum and drive, and didn't feel like it was just underscoring people talking to each other.

Does "Pietro" remind anyone else of something specific?  I'm thinking maybe JNH's SIGNS?  No, Jerry's Total Recall!

I'm finding these staggered releases very annoying, personally.  WIth Mando season 1 it was nice to have the OST for the episode to listen right after I watched it.  I don't understand the rationale here at all.  Worrying about a tracklist spoiling people doesn't suffice IMO because (a) they would be releasing at the same time as the episodes at which point it is an individual's responsibility to avoid spoilers if they want to and (b) it's actually pretty easy to keep track titles vague enough.  Like with this one the "Pietro" track could have been called "An Unexpected Visitor" or "The Doorbell Rings" or something.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ its just something fun I enjoy listening to every Friday morning for 10 minutes then go listen to the next thing.  I'm not arsed by these details.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Like with this one the "Pietro" track could have been called "An Unexpected Visitor" or "The Doorbell Rings" or something.

I agree. I used to listen to the score after I've seen the movie or the show but since recently I've started to listen to the scores first and then to decide or not if I will watch it, at least for the projects that interrest me the less, and it is always so frustrating when you see major spoiler in the titles.

Still this episode score is better than the previous one.

I'm not sure why but it seems to be that the track listing order on most of these do not play in the exact order in which they play in each episode... has anybody re-ordered them in their proper order flow? If so, could anyone share said order?? :blink:

I do have orders

The Newlyweds
Calendar Confusion
Toastmate2000
Parcheesi
Dinner is Served
Frog in my Throat
Thank You for Coming
Rings
Wanda's Theme

Wandavision!
Rehearsal Part 1 (0:00-0:14)
Unwelcome Visitor
Strucker
Giddy Up
Rehearsal Part 2 (0:14-End)
Exit Stage Left
Beekeeper
It's Really Happening

We Got Something Cooking
The Strangest Thing
Uncharted Waters
Hydrosoak
Stork in the House
Fishpants
A Baby is Born
The Twins
No Home

The Awakening
Three Weeks Later
WestView
S.W.O.R.D
Stay Tuned
Players
Mission Failure
Who Are You?
Everything is Under Control

Making It Up As We Go Along 
Evaluation
Ten Years Old
Family is Forever
Missile Strike
Lagos
Ode to Sparky
Cue Credits
Pietro

Lets Keep it Going
Fish To Share
Traffic Light
Chili Con Carne
Waterballoon
Frankenherb
Yo Magic
Superspeed
Haywards Secrets
Freeze Framed
Dead or Alive
Charming as Hell
Hexpansion 

22 hours ago, MedigoScan said:

I do have orders for episodes 3-5

We Got Something Cooking
The Strangest Thing
Uncharted Waters
Hydrosoak
Stork in the House
Fishpants
A Baby is Born
The Twins
No Home

The Awakening
Three Weeks Later
WestView
S.W.O.R.D
Stay Tuned
Players
Mission Failure
Who Are You?
Everything is Under Control

Making It Up As We Go Along 
Evaluation
Ten Years Old
Family is Forever
Missile Strike
Lagos
Ode to Sparky
Cue Credits
Pietro

Thanks for this... the first two weren't already in order, were they?? :huh:

Well the score for the sixth episode is my personal favourite. The real world materials are the best cues since the beginning of the show. The rest of the score is quite funny and the opening song very nice.

2 hours ago, DreamFinder1983 said:

Thanks for this... the first two weren't already in order, were they?? :huh:

Haha. I wish. I just didnt check go back to watch them since I didnt know they'd be doing single episode soundtracks at that time.

I have updated the post now though

1000x1000bb.webp

1 Let's Keep It Going (featuring Kathleen Hanna)
2 Traffic Light
3 Fish to Share
4 Water Balloon
5 Chile Con Carne
6 Hayward's Secrets
7 Yo Magic
8 Frankenherb
9 Charming As Hell
10 Dead or Alive
11 Super Speed
12 Freeze Framed
13 Hexpansion

https://open.spotify.com/album/11ZRjWuFFT38ept1Gw5yT1?si=yHiz9RcwSaO5rIPY_mDBkg
https://music.apple.com/nz/album/wandavision-episode-6-original-soundtrack/1553960008
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08WR79FM5/
https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/wandavision-episode-6-kristen-anderson-lopez-robert-lopez-christophe-beck/my7kqqp5q3x8b

Listening now!

"Yo Magic" is certainly my favorite of the commercial cues yet :lol: 

The opening song is another dud for me, personally.

The score itself is potentially the best one yet indeed.  Not only is the real world stuff really good, but so is the Malcolm in the MIddle esque sitcom cues.  Super fun!

Only bummer is the way it just ends.  You don't feel like you're listening to a proper album (or EP) when it just ends like that.  The abrupt cliffhanger ending was perfect in the show itself, but doesn't work as a standalone album ender.

I guess it will be moot when we can just listen to all 9 episode scores together as a long playlist.

The real world cues are getting better each week, and I've started to pick on some thematic material that is being developed across the episodes, especially derived from Wanda's Theme.

The songs are great in the show and the sitcom music, while fun, it doesn't do much for me on standalone listening.

I think this will work better when all 9 albums are released and we can create a long playlist for the real world cues and another for the sitcom / parody tracks and songs

I totally agree.  For me personally, the real world score tracks will be what I want to hear when I'm in the mood for the score, the sitcom score tracks will be fun stuff to listen to less often than that, I guess with the commercial cues in there as well, and then the songs by the Frozen guys something I won't listen to that often

I like the theme that sounds like Signs / Total Recall that was in the cue "Pietro" last week and "Dead or Alive" and "Hexpansion" this week