GerateWohl

Favourite track called "The Hunt"  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite film cue called "The Hunt"

• Bernard Herrmann "The Hunt" from "Marnie"
    • Jerry Goldsmith "The Hunt" from "The Final Conflict"
    • John Williams "The Hunt" from "The Lost World
    • Jerry Goldsmith "The Hunt" from "Planet of the Apes"
    • other (Please name film and composer in the comment section)

This poll is closed to new votes

Recently I stumpled across that the track title "The Hunt" occured in multiple soundtracks I like.

On short notice I found these. I am not sure if the creation of the Poll will work so let's see.

Bernard Herrmann "The Hunt" from "Marnie" 

Jerry Goldsmith "The Hunt" from "The Final Conflict"

John Williams "The Hunt" from "The Lost World

Do others come to your mind?

5 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Is it better than the Planet of the Apes one?

Nah, but it's cool. Can't find it on youtube and it's only partially included in the Suite.

Anyway, PotA is my pick!

Difficult choice, they're all great. But I actually think it would have to be Elfman's "The Hunt" from the POTA remake. A couple of other great ones not on the list:

"The Hunt" from THE HISTORY OF ETERNITY (Preisner)

"The Hunt" from TWISTER (Mancina)

"The Hunt" from FREE WILLY 3 (Eidelman)

"The Hunt" from BRIDESHEAD REVISITED (Burgon)

"The Hunt" from LADY JANE (Oliver) -- this is Jurassic Shark's favourite.

3 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

There can be only one.

@Jurassic Shark won't be happy about your options though.

Well, I'll have to forgive him since it's not that widely known. :)

Btw, after you paged me, I tried to find my own thread about the best track named The Hunt that I created a few years ago, but it seems to have disappeared from the face of JWFan! Do the admins really delete threads, or are my search skills just not good enough? I also tried searching with Google, again without success.

Impressive. But I still like the Williams piece better. But since that did not appear in the actual movie it probably should not be counted anyway.

By the way, has there also been a poll about everyone's favourite Jane Eyre score between Williams, Herrmann and Marianelli? I think, that would be a tough one. But before I start that and everyone teils me, you just had that about three times already, I thought, I ask beforehand.

1 minute ago, GerateWohl said:

By the way, has there also been a poll about everyone's favourite Jane Eyre score between Williams, Herrmann and Marianelli? I think, that would be a tough one.

That would be an easy one, since I've yet to connect with Herrmann's and Marianelli's efforts.

5 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Impressive. But I still like the Williams piece better.

But it's better than Goldsmith's entries, right? ;)

1 minute ago, GerateWohl said:

Do it. All three are really great scores in their own way.

Do what? Connect with them? It's not that easy to just decide to like something. :)

13 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Impressive. But I still like the Williams piece better. But since that did not appear in the actual movie it probably should not be counted anyway.

By the way, has there also been a poll about everyone's favourite Jane Eyre score between Williams, Herrmann and Marianelli? I think, that would be a tough one. But before I start that and everyone teils me, you just had that about three times already, I thought, I ask beforehand.

That's easy. Williams wins. Then again, I put JANE EYRE in my top 5 of Williams and consequently also among my favourite scores of all time (it's actually 6th on my alltime favourite scores list).

I've never really connected to Herrmann's JANE EYRE either, even if it's fine. If we're talking lyrical Herrmann, I far prefer THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR. But Marianelli's is a masterpiece, and the film is bloody brilliant (easily the best adaptation, and I've seen them all). His best score by far, and I long for this Marianelli to surface again.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

But it's better than Goldsmith's entries, right? 

Yes. I mean, PotA is impressive but not really a joy listening. So you are right.

And the horse noises and the barking of the dogs is great.

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Do what? Connect with them? It's not that easy to just decide to like something

I thought, you haven't heard them yet.

12 minutes ago, Thor said:

Marianelli's is a masterpiece, and the film is bloody brilliant (easily the best adaptation, and I've seen them all). His best score by far, and I long for this Marianelli to surface again.

Surely not better than his P&P.

8 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Yeah, the sounds in the film fit very well with this cue.

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, the sounds in the film fit very well with this cue.

Oh, I thought, that belongs to the soundtrack and in the movie you just see two lovers chasing eachother in the garden.

18 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Surely not better than his P&P.

Yes. P&P is great, but not on that level. 2011 was an amazing year for Marianelli. Both JANE EYRE and SALMON FISHING IN YEMEN are his very best, and both from the same year!

We're way off-topic now.

Is Yemen a good place for salmon fishing, though?

26 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

If you like animal noises in your music, check out this great horn concerto by Leopold Mozart.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Btw, after you paged me, I tried to find my own thread about the best track named The Hunt that I created a few years ago, but it seems to have disappeared from the face of JWFan! Do the admins really delete threads, or are my search skills just not good enough? I also tried searching with Google, again without success.

Of course no threads are ever deleted

I don't think you ever made the thread you think you did. I think you're remembering this conversation 

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/32065-is-the-hunt-a-concert-suite/

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Of course no threads are ever deleted

I don't think you ever made the thread you think you did. I think you're remembering this conversation 

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/32065-is-the-hunt-a-concert-suite/

No, I distinctly remember creating a thread about the best cue named The Hunt, which annoyed several people here, and it's older than the thread you linked to. In the latter thread, you can see from Marian's reply that we've been talking about this before:

On 5/16/2020 at 1:42 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

That sounds nothing like the piece Luke posted.

It's still the fourth best cue named The Hunt though.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

No, I distinctly remember creating a thread about the best cue named The Hunt, which annoyed several people here, and it's older than the thread you linked to. In the latter thread, you can see from Marian's reply that we've been talking about this before:

You've been talking about it whenever the word "hunt" (or the mere concept of hunting) popped up in a conversation. That doesn't mean you have to have made a poll about it before. You've definitely dared people to find a The Hunt that's better than it (and the one from The Final Conflict has held my top spot for years before that, and still does), but I don't remember if you ever created a new thread for it.

Listened to 22 tracks titled 'The Hunt.'

5 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Impressive. But I still like the Williams piece better.

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

But it's better than Goldsmith's entries, right? ;)

The Williams seems to be overrated? I voted for Lady Jane, followed by PotA.

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

You've been talking about it whenever the word "hunt" (or the mere concept of hunting) popped up in a conversation. That doesn't mean you have to have made a poll about it before. You've definitely dared people to find a The Hunt that's better than it (and the one from The Final Conflict has held my top spot for years before that, and still does), but I don't remember if you ever created a new thread for it.

It wasn't a poll, but definitely its own thread.

Sorry Sharky but your memory is just failing you.  I remember all the old conversations and I even remember thinking how it's funny no one's made a poll yet. 

July 2018: click (this one has @Naïve Old Fart's involvement)

February 2019: click (this one has @Marian Schedenig's involvement)

March 2019: click (@Marian Schedenig)

July 2019: click (@Marian Schedenig and @Naïve Old Fart)

Feb 2020: click (@Naïve Old Fart)

April 2020: click (@Naïve Old Fart)

May 2020: click (@Marian Schedenig and @Naïve Old Fart)

June 2020: click (@Marian Schedenig and @Naïve Old Fart)

Nov 2020: click (@Naïve Old Fart)

There definitely never was a dedicated thread about it until now

Im sorry but you're just remembering wrong.  The thread you think exists doesn't exist.  It was a topic simply discussed within other threads.

Jay's brain software has merged with the forum's Deep Search (the search engine version that's not crap and not available for regular users), so believe him, Shark, he knows.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Im sorry but you're just remembering wrong.  The thread you think exists doesn't exist.  It was a topic simply discussed within other threads.

Sorry, I find it more likely that you either misremember or never was aware of the thread. 

That the thread doesn't exist doesn't mean it never existed. Perhaps it was merged with another thread in the great forum renovation, or somehow deleted?

15 minutes ago, Holko said:

Jay's brain software has merged with the forum's Deep Search (the search engine version that's not crap and not available for regular users), so believe him, Shark, he knows.

You can click on any user, then click "See their activity", then click "Topics" to see every topic they ever started

You can also type "hunt" into the search box then click "hunt in content titles only" to see all threads with "hunt" in their titles

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Sorry, I find it more likely that you either misremember or never was aware of the thread. 

I read every thread

That the thread doesn't exist doesn't mean it never existed. Perhaps it was merged with another thread in the great forum renovation, or somehow deleted?

Andreas updating the board's software doesn't do anything to threads.  There's no sort of automatic merging that ever happens, just manual merging by a mod.  And none of us would have had any reason to merge a thread you started about The Hunt into another one.  

Your memory is just playing tricks on you.  It happens.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

How do I gain access to the Deep Search? It's the only way to get threads about A.I. and It!

For threads about "A.I." just search for "artificial" instead

For "It" the film, I doubt it had a dedicated thread.  For the score, just search for "Wallfisch"

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

manual merging by a mod. 

That's what I was referring to. 

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Andreas updating the board's software doesn't do anything to threads.

I was more thinking about the database being corrupted.

The last time we lost any posts was in 2008.

Sorry dude, you're just wrong this time.  It's ok to admit it.  No one thinks any less of you

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Sorry dude, you're just wrong this time.  It's ok to admit it.  No one thinks any less of you

I think you're too fast at concluding.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

You're annoying.  Have a nice day

Class act.

I think I might have taken this research a bit too far... only tracks that are "The Hunt" or "The [something] Hunt" or "The Hunt [for something/someone] (hopefully!). Not listened to it all yet, but the track from John Scott's Wicker Tree is terrific, as is the one from Twister... and Endelman's The Hunt for Murrel's Map from Tom and Huck is surprisingly fine, darker than expected.

Surprising number of Buffalo Hunts...

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 17.46.38.png

From those on the list I would say The Lost World, but I also want to add this one.

I know Giacchino is not very well regarded by some people in here, but I think Lost is his best score, and this is one of my favorite action themes of the series:

Well, Tom, if we're expanding it to any titles that just have the words "The Hunt" in them, alongside more words, the list is obviously much, much longer.  But the challenge here - as I understood it - is to select tracks that are only called "The Hunt", period.