ROTJ Scoring Session Footage

GRIGA01

Hi everyone,

Im almost certain I have seen fragments of footage of JW scoring the ROTJ score within another video somewhere on Youtube. One of him rewriting a part on the sheet music in the studios control room and another of him mid conducting. Does anyone know if there is more footage of these sessions kicking around somewhere?

Just to be clear before someone asks, I am not mixing this up with the ESB Making of footage

Wow these featurettes are cool!

18 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

I think this is most likely the segment you’re thinking of:

There’s also a little bit of ROTJ session footage in this profile, including a bit from what I believe is Olympic Sound Studios, where they briefly relocated when Abbey Road was unavailable:

Wow yea that space looks tiny compared to usual recording studios!

10 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

6:40-7:01 in the first video... is Williams singing along with Luke & Leia??

Noticed that too... what was that?

”It’s a sort of stately, imperial, ominous theme for a not very nice guy.” – John Williams on Darth Vader’s theme

That piano rendition really brings out the apparent influence of the Chopin funeral march, much more than anything in the films. @Falstaft Is this essentially the same left-hand voicings?

It seems to me they're listening to a playback of either the end credits or the Luke and Leia concert arrangement and making evaluations. Williams sings along the melody as played by the cellos and makes some comment about playing "a little quicker, a little stronger on the cellos"

3 hours ago, TownerFan said:

It seems to me they're listening to a playback of either the end credits or the Luke and Leia concert arrangement and making evaluations. Williams sings along the melody as played by the cellos and makes some comment about playing "a little quicker, a little stronger on the cellos"

Yep, that's what I'm seeing/hearing too. He's pointing out the melody for a note on the performance and/or mixing.

On 1/24/2021 at 12:36 PM, BrotherSound said:

1:47 "His music often gives the films the emotional impact Lucas shortchanges."

That may be the most succinct description ever of the Lucas–Williams relationship (and Lucas' general style).