Live Action Harry Potter Series (HBO Max)

Bilbo

I always thought I TV show about Voldemort's rise to power, his reign of terror and the First Wizarding War could be interesting, like HP's own version of The Clone Wars.

They could use as characters Harry's parents, Sirius, Lupin, Pettigrew, Snape, Dumbledore... It'd be great.

It's no surprise that they'd try.  I'd be much more interested in something completely free from the existing books/movies - just set in the world - than some continuation of other characters' stories, but who knows.  My spouse is bigtime into the book and movie series (less so Rowling generally, now), so I'm sure we'll watch it, and whatever it ends up being I'm sure it'll be enjoyable.

13 minutes ago, mstrox said:

It's no surprise that they'd try.  I'd be much more interested in something completely free from the existing books/movies - just set in the world - than some continuation of other characters' stories, but who knows.  My spouse is bigtime into the book and movie series (less so Rowling generally, now), so I'm sure we'll watch it, and whatever it ends up being I'm sure it'll be enjoyable.

The fantastic beasts movies proved that this is not necessarily a good idea.

I always thought, the Harry Potter books would be better filmed as a series. Probably animated, maybe in an animé style. Animation might be cheaper and you don't have the issue with the aging actors. 

We like the Fantastic Beasts movies :).  My biggest complaint (besides the weird swerve ending of part 2) is that it's becoming more entangled with the Potter books/movies - although it was clear this would be the case once Grindelwald was introduced.

36 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Like the Hogwarts Legacy game that’s coming next year? 

I agree, something completely standalone but in the same world would be fascinating. 

the only problem with that is it kinda rules out anything set between 1926 and 2017.

I also hope that this means we’ll get a cursed child film or two at some point. The story still needs a bit of polish but I absolutely loved the play when I saw it so I would like a movie with the original cast as grownups. Even just as a nostalgia event thing. 

From the video game world, I'd rather Hannigan.

As far as the score for this. James Newton Howard would be a fine choice, but Williams is done with Star Wars. Just ask him to do it. LOL.

When it comes to the idea of the series itself, while yes, it was inevitable, it's a bad idea.

They should just wait 5 years and do a Cursed Child movie at this point. Even though the story was divisive, it was a blockbuster and won the Tony and after Fantastic Beasts, I think people would just be thrilled to see Radcliffe, Grint, and Watson again. The actors are probably more beloved than JKR at the moment. The trans issues aside, I think people are just annoyed that she didn't drop the mic when she could have. Sort of a Lucas-esque situation where people don't really trust them as storytellers or authorities on their own series anymore but still love the characters and actors. 

I also don't feel like there's much point to doing a live-action remake of the books since the original kids are so iconic, why bother going all in on a new Harry, Ron and Hermione? And the movies are as well-produced as the stories can be for a long time. I don't think anybody cares about getting everything onscreen anymore either, all I see now are memes and nostalgia for the films. But I agree that if they wanna do the books over again, they should just do it animated and make it crazy. 

If it's some other idea like a Hogwarts founder show or whatever, then it could be interesting depending what they do with it. As Edmilson said, I still think the best cash-grab would have been to just collect all the backstory from the books that never made it into the movies -- Dumbledore vs Grindelwald, Tom Riddle making Horcruxes, the Marauders, the first Order of the Phoenix -- and structure it into a limited series or movie trilogy or whatever leading up to Harry. Even if it was bad, I would have been more into that as an idea than Cursed Child and Fantastic Beasts.

1 hour ago, Darth Wojo said:

He was accused of sexual misconduct, and JJ Rowling is openly transphobic. This is a toxic marriage made in heaven. 

I didn’t know that about Soule!

With the amount of news about recent rumored series and films that keep going nowhere, I'll remain skeptical until a proper announcement is made. Especially since no one has posted WB denying there being a series: https://www.thewrap.com/warner-bros-denies-harry-potter-tv-spinoff-in-the-works-at-hbo-max/.

I agree with the prior notion about preferring stories in the universe that don't have to do with the main story. Fantastic Beasts could've been that, but instead it's just your usual prequel mishaps.

The only thing that is certain is that JKR will be less and less involved with anything involving the franchise going forward. Given her controversies on Twitter, I imagine she'll be as relevant for future installments of the franchise as George Lucas was on the Disney SW movies.

9 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The only thing that is certain is that JKR will be less and less involved with anything involving the franchise going forward. Given her controversies on Twitter, I imagine she'll be as relevant for future installments of the franchise as George Lucas was on the Disney SW movies.

No, Warner Bros can’t do anything without her approval. It was part of the rights deal. WB could never make sequels without her. 

And the controversies don’t seem to be doing much damage either:

https://insidethemagic.net/2021/01/how-did-j-k-rowling-still-bring-in-60-million-ky1/

https://www.thebookseller.com/news/rowlings-troubled-blood-sells-more-day-lethal-white-week-1219476

https://amp.theguardian.com/business/2020/oct/27/harry-potter-publisher-covid-bloomsbury-book-sales-lockdown

https://www.thebookseller.com/news/pottermore-sales-and-profits-rise-strong-harry-potter-sales-1232915

84C79359-8DDF-467C-9125-613241C80E31.png

2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I don't know, studios don't like controversies surrounding their products. WB fired Johnny Depp because he was surrounded by controversy. And whenever Rowling goes from now on, the controversies regarding her declaration about trans people will follow her. 

I bet they'll continue giving her a credit like "Executive Producer" or something, but she won't be the face and front of the Wizarding World franchise anymore.

How did a few noisy puritanical randoms on Twitter become the almighty and all-powerful gatekeepers of our entire culture? How is it they now wield so much influence? And why do major media companies take them seriously?

I'm wary of them trying to turn HP into something it's not just to cater to the hoardes of ex-GoT viewers. I can't see them doing something new either as they'll want to cash in on the nostalgia for the original characters. Like LotR and Star Wars before it, I fear HP is doomed to live in the past until Rowling commits to a proper sequel book series altogether.

Just now, The Big Man said:

How did a few noisy puritanical randoms on Twitter become the almighty and all-powerful gatekeepers of our entire culture? How is it they now wield so much influence? And why do major media companies take them seriously?

These are dangerous times for freedom of expression - authors must now have the same lived experience, be a part of the same culture, religion, ethnicity etc. if they want to write about another culture, race etc. 

What's sad is the content isn't what's critiqued, you know - the literary value of a story, but instead the identity of the author and what they can and can't write. 

There goes my aspiration to become a pulp novelist, the only creative field I might have had some level of prospects, but I'm too white and blokey to be considered. Maybe I'll have to find a non-white alphabet sheila to submit some manuscripts to publishers on my behalf!

3 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Can someone point to me where Rowling's career has actually been impacted by any personal controversy?

If you see the links I provided above you can see that it hasn’t been impacted at all. 

6 hours ago, mstrox said:

They can’t force Rowling out.  They have two options: involve Rowling to the extent that her contract requires, or not do anything with Harry Potter branding.

Exactly. I think the most they can do without her involvement is a remake but they can’t do anything new. 

And if they didn’t include her in something like a remake and she publicly spoke out about films without her involvement it might actually do more harm. 

I think people need to realise those who shout loudest on twitter don’t actually have that much say in real life. 

3 hours ago, Bilbo said:

if they didn’t include her in something like a remake and she publicly spoke out about films without her involvement it might actually do more harm. 

It’s not just an image thing: Rowling continues to exercise control over this franchise, and so her involvement is probably contractually binding.