Live Action Harry Potter Series (HBO Max)

Bilbo

I'll be very excited to watch whatever they end up with as long as David Yates is not involved and as long as JKR, if she writes the screenplays, has a proofreader.

I'd be interested in a series about the books too, even though I think movies 1-4 are kind of sacred and untouchable, just because I grew up with them, I guess. 3 does have the unexplained Marauders issue, but at least it was all magical before Yates came and ruined it all.

A Cursed Child movie, sure, even though I hated the story, and only if the trio returns and if it's not a trilogy with a completely unnecessary middle movie.

7 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

as long as David Yates is not involved

Boy, you'd want him gone even more if you could know how bland he made the universe visually.

8 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

and as long as JKR, if she writes the screenplays, has a proofreader.

And an army of script doctors.

26 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

A Cursed Child movie, sure, even though I hated the story, and only if the trio returns and if it's not a trilogy with a completely unnecessary middle movie.

Hermione would likely need to be recast due to a certain retcon...

28 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I'll be very excited to watch whatever they end up with as long as David Yates is not involved and as long as JKR, if she writes the screenplays, has a proofreader.

Don't put that out into the Universe, now Yates will direct all 11 seasons!

1 hour ago, The Big Man said:

Hermione would likely need to be recast due to a certain retcon...

Emma Watson had the biggest and most high-profile career out of the trio. She was the only one that starred in a major blockbuster (2017's Beauty and the Beast). There's no way WB would not ask her back.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Emma Watson had the biggest and most high-profile career out of the trio. She was the only one that starred in a major blockbuster (2017's Beauty and the Beast). There's no way WB would not ask her back.

Emma no longer reflects the identity of Hermione Granger as embodied by the stage version in Cursed Child. 

images - 2021-01-27T074828.325.jpeg

Rowling stated that Hermione never was explicitly given a particular race in the books (in spite of the "her white face" line in PoA), so really any actress could play the role in her eyes.

That being said: given various movie cast members stood behind trans rights after the whole debacle, I'm sure Joanne would much rather a televised performance of the Cursed Child play instead of a movie adaptation. :P

20 hours ago, The Big Man said:

They all hate her now. She's not Hollyweird enough. Despite being a billionaire, she's too working class mum for all them posh elitist snoots who starred in the movies.

What is it exactly that gave you that impression? Isn’t the newfound ostracisation primarily because of her open transphobia?

38 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

What is it exactly that gave you that impression? Isn’t the newfound ostracisation primarily because of her open transphobia?

Yes, but he's also transphobic so thinks she's the normal one and everyone else must be the "weird" ones

Spoiler
On 11/14/2020 at 5:57 PM, The Big Man said:

Why are they so insistent these days in promoting young sissy blokes dressing up like sheilas?

On 11/14/2020 at 6:22 PM, The Big Man said:

But are these blokes that rags like Vogue are promoting really homosexual? Or are they pushing for a feminised, almost androgynous sissy bloke culture just to make militant feminist women feel empowered?

On 11/15/2020 at 4:11 AM, The Big Man said:

These weirdo fashions are so often pushed as a new norm that wider society has to accept (or else), obviously to make men more placid, faffy and sissy. Nobody in the real world wants blokes to dress up like sheilas.

On 12/1/2020 at 6:53 PM, The Big Man said:

It is complicated because a bloke is a bloke and a sheila is a sheila. These Hollyweirdos just like changing the goalposts and playing silly buggers with language. It becomes a nuisance because they're influential and people in the real world follow suit, especially youngsters.

On 12/1/2020 at 6:59 PM, The Big Man said:

Why would anyone want to get with these "modern times" for? They suck.

And it's nothing to do with conservatism (you said it, not me!*), it's just about basic common sense regarding language and labelling what's what properly, especially before all this weird fetishisation for sexual "fluidity" shit became a thing.

On 12/1/2020 at 10:11 PM, The Big Man said:

They're sheilas imagining they're blokes.

On 12/2/2020 at 6:22 PM, The Big Man said:

"Misgendered body", omg

She was a nice lookin' good sort as a sheila. Just shuzz ya smile, luv

On 12/2/2020 at 9:33 AM, The Big Man said:

"Cisgender"? What a stupid word.

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes, but he's also transphobic so thinks she's the normal one and everyone else must be the "weird" ones

Hide contents

Ah...that context certainly helps explain it.

Man, despite living in Australia all my life I've never seen someone unironically use the word Sheila lmao

8 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

What makes you think that?

Don't engage. This happens to almost every Potter related thread now. I usually just pop in to see what the topic is all about and then leave, because it will turn into this eventually.

I don't mind engaging because all I wish to do is hear an opposing viewpoint out in the hopes of understanding how it came to be

Plus there doesn't seem to be any news of this thread's topic and it's at least tangentially related

I ignore it on the basis no one bothers to check on what Rowling's words actually meant (or even bothering to look into anything period), plus being way too quick to just do their usual assumptions (often being that the internet mob just wants stuff to be angry at) than actually take time to consider why some feel the way they do.

2 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

I don't mind engaging because all I wish to do is hear an opposing viewpoint out in the hopes of understanding how it came to be

Plus there doesn't seem to be any news of this thread's topic and it's at least tangentially related

By all means then. I've heard it all before already from the same people. I respect your openness to another viewpoint though. I don't mind that. I've just heard it multiple times by this point and the discussion tends to go nowhere fast because people can't restrain themselves from belittling or name-calling, so I don't bother engaging with that anymore.

4 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

By all means then. I've heard it all before already from the same people. I respect your openness to another viewpoint though. I don't mind that. I've just heard it multiple times by this point and the discussion tends to go nowhere fast because people can't restrain themselves from belittling or name-calling, so I don't bother engaging with that anymore.

Perfectly understandable!

5 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

I ignore it on the basis no one bothers to check on what Rowling's words actually meant (or even bothering to look into anything period), plus being way too quick to just do their usual assumptions (often being that the internet mob just wants stuff to be angry at) than actually take time to consider why some feel the way they do.

I was one of those people unfortunately, until I watched ContraPoints' amazingly well put together video and now I feel I understand both sides a lot better. She shows a real strength of character in being able to treat someone like a complex human being even when that isn't being reciprocated, particularly in a way that holds direct consequences for her life, and I find that incredibly admirable

Huh, I didn't know she had put out a video about it. I should probably watch it.

I definitely would sooner consider Rowling a very flawed person than a particularly despicable one, given I don't think she's coming at all of it from a particularly malicious place. Just one colored by her own personal experiences, as well as growing up in a time and culture that held extremely particular attitudes about women.

(Oh I see, it only would have been posted just yesterday. Is definitely going to be an interesting hour and a half.)

44 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Neither am I. I just think they're weirdos. But Jay hurled a fallacy at me while he thought I was asleep.

Wouldn't that feeling of 'othering' them or being weirded out by them be what essentially defines transphobia? If not, then what is transphobia in your eyes?

16 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

Wouldn't that feeling of 'othering' them or being weirded out by them be what essentially defines transphobia? If not, then what is transphobia in your eyes?

Any word with the "phobia" suffix denotes an irrational fear of of something that's almost crippling. I have no irrational fear of trannies, I just think they have a mental disorder (blokes dressing up like sheilas and demanding all evidence of their blokedom being erased??) and I'm bewildered at how a tiny minority of deviants became such a noisy force that everyone else now feels compelled to appease them and their weirdo Twitter enablers through various means like the whole pronoun thing, which is just bizarre to me.

53 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Any word with the "phobia" suffix denotes an irrational fear of of something that's almost crippling. I have no irrational fear of trannies, I just think they have a mental disorder (blokes dressing up like sheilas and demanding all evidence of their blokedom being erased??) and I'm bewildered at how a tiny minority of deviants became such a noisy force that everyone else now feels compelled to appease them and their weirdo Twitter enablers through various means like the whole pronoun thing, which is just bizarre to me.

To draw a parallel to arachnophobia, isn't there a spectrum of fear? For example, some people are fine with small spiders but not large ones, some can't even think about spiders etc.

Perhaps it might be a bit clearer what I mean if I were to swap the subject of your above quote:

"I have no irrational fear of homos, I just think they have a mental disorder (blokes dressing up like sheilas and demanding all evidence of their blokedom being erased??) and I'm bewildered at how a tiny minority of deviants become such a noisy force that everyone else now feels compelled to appease them and their weirdo Twitter enablers through various means like the whole marriage thing, which is just bizarre to me."

14 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

Bad take.

Homosexuals are at least clear about their sexual identity and don't require ten billion newly made up pronouns and language police to satisfy them.

The point wasn't to put words in your mouth, I don't know your stance on homosexuality, the point was to illustrate that simply by swapping the subject of what you said can at least help you understand why people might think you express transphobic views - because I think we can both agree that the modified quote definitely comes across as homophobic

Except if you talk to most trans folks, they're perfectly comfortable with just sticking to the opposite gender terms and/or they/them. And even if there were a bunch of different pronouns out there, is it really gonna be that irksome to remember only the ones of the people you actually interact with?

It's stuff like this that makes the discussion of the subject here a lost cause, since some are too busy picking and choosing from random out of context headlines and images to form an incredibly biased viewpoint, instead of actually dissecting the subjects at hand. They simply don't care, so I have no reason to generally engage the subject here.

2 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

Except if you talk to most trans folks, they're perfectly comfortable with just sticking to the opposite gender terms and/or they/them. And even if there were a bunch of different pronouns out there, is it really gonna be that irksome to remember only the ones of the people you actually interact with?

It's stuff like this that makes the discussion of the subject here a lost cause, since some are too busy picking and choosing from random out of context headlines and images to form an incredibly biased viewpoint, instead of actually dissecting the subjects at hand. They simply don't care, so I have no reason to generally engage the subject here.

I think it's just one of those unfortunate cases where the radical side end up wholly defining something, at least in terms of perception of the general public. They're inherently more attention-grabbing and more likely to be propagated than the mild-mannered majority. Which I suppose, puts the onus on us to treat everyone as complex individuals and not as a hivemind

On 1/26/2021 at 12:48 PM, The Big Man said:

Emma no longer reflects the identity of Hermione Granger as embodied by the stage version in Cursed Child. 

images - 2021-01-27T074828.325.jpeg

You've captured their stunt doubles!

So here's what the leftwing American media is saying about JK, who has otherwise been unaffected in her career aside from losers on Tweeter, and that shouldn't even matter. Looks like these nuts want this series shelved. Sorry, Potheads! It's not happening! She's a mean lady!

Screenshot_20210127-200315_Chrome.jpg

While I can understand the concern about someone of great influence being allowed to spread dangerous ideas, I don't think the solution is to try and de-platform them completely to the point they can't even defend themselves. That's how you end up falling into the dehumanising trap and losing a lot of importance nuance. That being said, a Harry Potter TV series is just one of many platforms JK Rowling has available so in the grand scheme of things it wouldn't affect much

As far as I can tell, her transphobic mindset hasn't really had an effect on the Harry Potter franchise anyway, to the point that letting it go ahead would practically effect very little, in the realm of fiction anyway it seems to be mostly contained to her book Troubled Blood of which I imagine was quite cathartic to write after being piled on by angry members of the trans community.

Regardless of all that. I just don't need or want one. The Crimes of Grindlewald is more than enough for me to be convinced that they don't know what they're doing anymore. It does depend to an extent who will be writing and directing it. If it's not Rowling doing the screenwriting (again, for writing reasons, not even all of these other problems) then I will be more interested, but still not very interested.

I also am skeptical about Amazon's Lotr series coming out. I just don't really want it. My first thought was "Eh."

The only reason I want these Fantastic Beasts movie to continue being produced is the JNH scores. I don't care about the movies but I love the music, so please keep producing FB movies (with James scoring them) until the end of time.

17 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

While I can understand the concern about someone of great influence being allowed to spread dangerous ideas, I don't think the solution is to try and de-platform them completely to the point they can't even defend themselves. That's how you end up falling into the dehumanising trap and losing a lot of importance nuance. That being said, a Harry Potter TV series is just one of many platforms JK Rowling has available so in the grand scheme of things it wouldn't affect much

As far as I can tell, her transphobic mindset hasn't really had an effect on the Harry Potter franchise anyway, to the point that letting it go ahead would practically effect very little, in the realm of fiction anyway it seems to be mostly contained to her book Troubled Blood of which I imagine was quite cathartic to write after being piled on by angry members of the trans community.

There is nothing transphobic in Troubled Blood. Not are there even any transgender characters. This is a myth that is being perpetuated by people who did not even read the book.

2 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

There is nothing transphobic in Troubled Blood. Not are there even any transgender characters. This is a myth that is being perpetuated by people who did not even read the book.

Taking Troubled Blood by itself then it might look innocent, but in conjunction with all of Rowling’s other actions it is quite telling

It’s a propagation of the cross-dressing serial killer stereotype that doesn’t make any attempt to empathise but instead vilifies ala Psycho (blamed on the mother), Silence of the Lambs etc. Whether they are identified as transgender or not is a matter of semantics because it is still an embodiment of that fear towards things like bathroom assaults from trans women, of which Rowling has stated openly that is one of her concerns and thus wants more bathroom policing

I have not read the whole book but I’ve heard these things from someone who has read it all that was backed up from direct evidence from multiple parts of the book. It’s a piece of a larger whole that is Rowling’s mentality of fearing transgenderism as a result of what she has projected onto it from her own struggles