Announcing 'SCORE MASTERS: Celebrating John Williams & Jerry Goldsmith' (Online Event premiering Feb 8, 2021)

TownerFan

24 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Academy Award-nominated composer and conductor David Newman, Grammy-winning conductor and composer Leonard Slatkin, sound engineer and producer Bruce Botnick, soundtrack record producer Mike Matessino, legendary studio pianist/keyboardist Mike Lang, composer Leanna Primiani and author/writer Jeff Bond.

Whoa that's an amazing panel!

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Martinland said:

Indeed. Say, Marian - am I going mad or did I meet Maurizio (briefly) standing next to you with our daughter during intermission at Musikverein? ;)

Perfectly possible, because Maurizio and I did definitely meet and have a brief chat (it seems there were so many people there nobody - including me - had time for more than brief chats with  most of them).

Yes, let me join the salutations. I had to tune out after about 97 minutes because it was getting late over here (how much longer did it last?), but some fine stories and opinions all around.

A couple of comments:

On paper, you had far too many guests and far too many moderators to allow for a decent conversation flow (I always get stressed out while watching big Zoom chats where some of the participants don't get to speak for a long time), but as publicist said above, it helped considerably that you edited the material afterwards.

Of course, in my ideal world, I would have limited it to Williams only and focussed exclusively on obscure stuff from the early past etc., but that was not this program's goal. With people from so many different areas of expertise, and with so many possible angles, it's bound to bounce around a lot. But I think you would benefit from cutting down the numbers the next time, and possibly also limit it to one moderator (I can understand why everyone wanted to be involved, though). Perhaps even have more of a specified angle.

In any case, great work, guys! Each of the persons on that panel was a treasure trove of information (even Jeff Bond, with whom I have a decades-long feud).

1 hour ago, Fabulin said:

I am sure they were happy to be there even if they didn't get to say that much.

Probably, yes. I'm sure I was more "stressed out" about it than the actual participants were.

On 2/9/2021 at 10:33 AM, TownerFan said:

We got the perfect mix of historical approach and fun facts.

That's very, very true - thanks again.

Projected film excerpts in a movie theatre would have been celebrating with style, of course - not that many people could have been made happy like with what you did instead, though. :)

PS: Do you think John Williams is a) aware of this and b) might watch it?

On 2/9/2021 at 10:33 AM, Thor said:

even Jeff Bond, with whom I have a decades-long feud

Really? What did he do?

23 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

At Last I managed to watch whole feature and it was really amazing (therefore the end titles were chosen perfectly). Big compliment to the producers, first of all Maurizio who brought it to this forum. 

I've only seen parts of it, but I have to say it was great they were able to include Slatkin. Such an interesting and informative musician. 

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed this podcast! It was cool to see the guests spark memories and anecdotes from each other, and it was so refreshing to hear a chat like this meant for true score fans. We don't always get to hear a John Williams discussion for grownups  :)  I loved hearing what he was like as a professional musician, from the perspective of other musicians, who spoke pretty candidly rather than just heaping praise on him. And it was indeed well produced, with the editing and well chosen photos. After the mention early on that the discussion would last an hour, I was pleased to see it actually ran 2 hours  ;)  I look forward to checking out some of your other podcasts!

I sometimes forget just how early Williams’ film career started, while the Golden Age composers were still around and working.  So cool to think about Alfred Newman hanging out and chatting with young Johnny.

On 2/25/2021 at 4:18 PM, Smeltington said:

I really enjoyed this podcast! It was cool to see the guests spark memories and anecdotes from each other, and it was so refreshing to hear a chat like this meant for true score fans. We don't always get to hear a John Williams discussion for grownups  :)  I loved hearing what he was like as a professional musician, from the perspective of other musicians, who spoke pretty candidly rather than just heaping praise on him. And it was indeed well produced, with the editing and well chosen photos. After the mention early on that the discussion would last an hour, I was pleased to see it actually ran 2 hours  ;)  I look forward to checking out some of your other podcasts!

Since you seem to like long ones, allow me to recommend my 3.5 hour conversation with Robert Townson:
https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/1301242-odyssey-interviews-robert-townson-part-1
https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/1361503-odyssey-interviews-robert-townson-part-2

Yavar