Is there a PERFECT film?

Bespin

I can find things to pick apart in just about any film.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off comes close. Really my only issue with it is the retroactive disgust from the later revelation that the actor who played the principal is a pedophile. But they wouldn't have known that at the time.

Raiders comes awful close, too. Not a big fan of the implication that Indy was involved with Marion when she was that young. And I hate to open this can of worms again, but some of the depictions of the locals in Peru, Nepal, and Egypt have begun to bug me a little over the years. But boy, is there a lot to enjoy in the film.

Back to the Future also comes to mind. It feels pretty perfect to me. I'm not sure how the whole mother-who-unwittingly-wants-to-bang-her-son conceit manages to come across as funny rather than disturbing. Yet somehow they pulled it off...

Then in television, I got two words for you: Breaking Bad. I sometimes get a little weary of "the cousins" for some reason. Otherwise...yep, perfection in my book.

More recent films that have come closest to perfection in their genre for me are:

A.I. Artificial Intelligence (although what genre is it... maybe it’s a bad example...)

Jurassic Park

Pride and Prejudice (2005)

Your Name (a little bit more approachable Ghibli-like film)

Stardust

The Incredibles

And finally...

Home Alone

I suspect there are a lot of films before my time that set and transcend the bar for their time period that I have yet to see.  

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Spirited Away (2001) - IMDb

I watched that movie for the first time recently, overall I enjoyed it but I found the third act to be very rushed and disjointed from the careful and methodical setup of the spirit world in the first two acts. I suppose it felt more like a concept film than one that was primarily driven by characters

If by perfect you mean without any flaws, then I can't think of any. Even some of the films I think are the best constructed like Empire Strikes Back has a small number of flaws

56 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

E.T.?

OMG I can't think about a more imperfect movie, even if I absolutely love it!

I was born in 1974, E.T. really holds an important part in my childhood life!

I don't think there is a perfect film, for the greatest movies have glaring flaws, in fact they seem to have more obvious flaws than weaker movies.

If there were a perfect film, you wouldn't need any others. Movies that aren't that great seem to have less flaws, like Shawshank Redemption or Lord of the Rings, but they have less intrigue or meaning overall. Movies that are in a league of their own seem to have so much strength and weakness at the same time, by rough design of their bounds broken and allowed budget, like Mulholland Dr., The Matrix, Predestination, or well, anything by David Lynch. Deep and engrossing scripts don't have a large market of backing producers to really fly away with.

Also I think Star Wars is better than LoTR, that's just me. Producers don't cater to good films because they are harder and riskier to make, don't sell as well as the stupid ones.

28 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

As is Bambi.

If you want to destroy me, force me to watch Bambi! :unsure:

But, that's not a perfect film.

Oh, stop naming Disney movies for God sake! :sarcasm:

In my view, no there is not. And once I came to that realization I was able to subconsciously enjoy more films.

I mean, in my opinion there are plenty of basically perfect films... perfect for me though. Objectively speaking though, no. In the big picture, I do not believe there is a perfect film.

I'm not gonna list any of my personal "perfect" films, I'll probably get flak for some of them.

16 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

In my view, no there is not. And once I came to that realization I was able to subconsciously enjoy more films.

I mean, in my opinion there are plenty of basically perfect films... perfect for me though. Objectively speaking though, no. In the big picture, I do not believe there is a perfect film.

I'm not gonna list any of my personal "perfect" films, I'll probably get flak for some of them.

I do not believe you can not speak objectively about something that inherently needs personal standards to function

56 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

I do not believe you can not speak objectively about something that inherently needs personal standards to function

What is more objective in the soft sense, a group opinion, or an interesting individual's? 

Neither. If I had to choose, the latter is more assured and worth looking into.

1 hour ago, TSMefford said:

Can you PM me your best film recommendation. Favorite film preferably, I'd like to check it out and PM you later.

10 minutes ago, Oomoog the Ecstatic said:

What is more objective in the soft sense, a group opinion, or an interesting individual's? 

Neither. If I had to choose, I'd say the latter is more assured and worth looking into.

Can you PM me your best film recommendation. Favorite film preferably, I'd like to check it out and PM you later.

I would say that the moment you get into a sense of 'soft objectivity' then you're no longer talking about objectivity. If we're talking about group opinion though then that could be an argument for normativity, but I think I ultimately agree that I'd rather hear what an individual has to say. It's easier to conceptualise and is more multi-layered than an abstraction of general opinion which is incredibly prone to distortion

2 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

I would say that the moment you get into a sense of 'soft objectivity' then you're no longer talking about objectivity. If we're talking about group opinion though then that could be an argument for normativity, but I think I ultimately agree that I'd rather hear what an individual has to say. It's easier to conceptualise and is more multi-layered than an abstraction of general opinion which is incredibly prone to distortion

Lol sure. I mean it doesn't quite make sense in my brain if I'm honest. Because many of my favorite films are perfect or near perfect to me. However, I am also aware that they have flaws and others do not like them, which tells me they're definitely not perfect.

Just now, TSMefford said:

Lol sure. I mean it doesn't quite make sense in my brain if I'm honest. Because many of my favorite films are perfect or near perfect to me. However, I am also aware that they have flaws and others do not like them, which tells me they're definitely not perfect.

I think in that case that's the dichotomy between taste and criticism. Which isn't to say that criticism is universal by any means, just that there's a separation between what personally connects to you and an appreciation of how well a film achieves its goals across many different forms of analysis from technical to emotional

7 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

I think in that case that's the dichotomy between taste and criticism. Which isn't to say that criticism is universal by any means, just that there's a separation between what personally connects to you and an appreciation of how well a film achieves its goals across many different forms of analysis from technical to emotional

I suppose, but wouldn't a "perfect" film do both, or at least...be well received by most critics and other audience members? To be fair. The topic is "Is there a PERFECT film?", not "What is your personal perfect film."

2 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

I suppose, but wouldn't a "perfect" film do both?

In the eyes of the individual then yes, I would say so. People here have at least intuitively decided to separate movies that they critically appreciate from ones they wholly enjoy, certainly it is more connection than anything that encourages such virulent passion about a piece of entertainment so it would very much have to be to the taste of the individual

3 hours ago, Bellosh said:

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Jaws

Fuck it, I'm adding Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Not because of fandom.  But because it's got the same amount of adventure and suspense, but it's twice is funny as Raiders.  Every scene in that movie is just perfect.

7 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

I suppose, but wouldn't a "perfect" film do both, or at least...be well received by most critics and other audience members? To be fair. The topic is "Is there a PERFECT film?", not "What is your personal perfect film."

Hmm, I didn't see your elaborated edit

I suppose in that case we would be more talking about the rare times that a movie has such a cultural impact that it unites both critics and audiences. In which case I would submit the first Star Wars movie as a candidate for that. Such a thing is an absolute rarity due to the inherently divisive nature of movies, Star Wars I suppose is an exception because of its universal appeal as the modern fairy-tale.

I agree Star Wars is a bit closer to a perfect movie (than the movies mentioned by others so far), but that fact doesn't have anything to do with its public impact or rating imo. I guess it's just subjective.

People in these threads just post high-rated movies they like, and ignore the ones they don't like. That's the accepted rhythm. I prefer TSMefford's approach. Share movies you really love that others don't get. It feels more illuminating and interesting to hear about.

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

A perfect film masters all these artistically domain:

• The story
  • The script
  • The photography 
  • The acting
  • The music
  • The editing

Production design? Lighting? Sound design? Casting? Pacing? Color grading? Visual effects? Themes? Staging/choreography? Social commentary? Humor? Originality? So many different lenses through which to look at this, figuratively speaking.

Ultimately, for me, it's just a question of whether there's anything that detracts from me finding enjoyment and meaning in the film. A perfect film is one that I wouldn't change one bit. That means there's limitless potential for different films that achieve different kinds of perfection.

Actually, by that metric, the most perfect film I can think of right now is Finding Nemo. I can't think of one thing I'd change about that flick.