Is there a PERFECT film?

Bespin

I know what the Gruesome Twosome consider the " perfect" film.

1 minute ago, DarthDementous said:

aaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH the French!

Nah.

They considered the vastly overrated VERTIGO.

KANE is a masterpiece.

No debate on that.

I do wonder how many people here just rattle off their favourite movies?

I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect movie. If one were to assess it, even from a subjective point of view, it would need to be far more narrowly defined.

47 minutes ago, Thor said:

I think, that is an acceptable way of approaching the question. 

Sometimes when I look at those best ever movie lists or best ever song lists put together by journalists (no offense, I really value your work) then it usually looks like one third of the decisions is following oppinions from the history books, one third personal taste or peronal relationship (the director is such a nice and smart guy) and maybe the last third following some criteria that mostly try to bring in some kind of cool individual against the mainstream vibe to the decisions.

The result is often not better than any other belly decision of an ordinary film freak. That's what I think.

11 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I think, that is an acceptable way of approaching the question. 

Sometimes when I look at those best ever movie lists or best ever song lists put together by journalists (no offense, I really value your work) then it usually looks like one third of the decisions is following oppinions from the history books, one third personal taste or peronal relationship (the director is such a nice and smart guy) and maybe the last third following some criteria that mostly try to bring in some kind of cool individual against the mainstream vibe to the decisions.

The result is often not better than any other belly decision of an ordinary film freak. That's what I think.

Sure, that's why a question like this needs a narrower definition. I could be answered "by the history books" (as such, any Kubrick or Lean classic might fit the bill, for example). It could be answered by personal "favourites" (I could pick SCHINDLER'S LIST in that circumstance, which is pretty much perfection to me) or it could be a more esoteric choice, again very personal (I could pick, say, Satyjajit Ray's PATHER PANCHALI in that circumstance).

So definition is the name of the game here, I think.

24 minutes ago, Thor said:

Sure, that's why a question like this needs a narrower definition. I could be answered "by the history books" (as such, any Kubrick classic might fit the bill, for example). It could be answered by personal "favourites" (I could pick SCHINDLER'S LIST in that circumstance, which is pretty much perfection to me) or it could be a more esoteric choice, again very personal (I could pick, say, Sayjajit Ray's PATER PANCHALI in that circumstance).

So definition is the name of the game here, I think.

I agree. I remember discussion with a friend of mine who held the films of Peter Greenaway in highest esteem and considered them as being perfect from an aestetic point of view and for him The Draughtsman's Contract was the most perfect film of all time. But he was much playing attention to visual composition and aestetic. I at that time rather considered Life of Brian the perfect movie because I was much into comedy. And we both had good arguments. 

5 hours ago, Thor said:

Personally, none of the three films that mentioned are anywhere near my top-ten, but I called them out because I genuinely believe that, in their own ways, they are almost perfect films.

And what about Shrek? It's a perfect film: great characters, fun script, funny jokes at the expense of Disney's animated classics, great score by HGW and JP and amazing CGI animation for 2001.

Shrek 2 is pretty much perfect too.

I have a friend who has done some time as a screenwriter, and he always describes Home Alone as a perfect script, just in the sense that it sets up so many things big and small in the first act, pays off every one of them, and pays them off well.

Generally, I don't think there is a perfect movie.  I can point out objective and subjective flaws in any movie I can think of, even my favorite movies. 

EDIT:  Except for Shrek 2

It's where most screenwriters do their time.  My buddy wrote or cowrote a handful of movies for Asylum, which if you are unaware is a low-budget studio that specializes in "mockbusters" (i.e. when Transformers comes out, they'll release a direct-to-video movie called "Transmorphers") and low-budget DTV or cable TV C-movie fare like Sharknado.

4 hours ago, Bayesian said:

@Chen G. hasn’t chimed in yet, but if I may speak on his behalf: 

Perfect movie = Braveheart

No, there is no such thing as a perfect film.

But, to my mind, the true measure of any film is what you get out it. And if you exit the theater in a state of great elation, or catharsis or (in a comedy) having had a great laugh, then what does it matter whether it was technically "perfect" or not?

The film in question is a great example of this.

No there is no perfect film. But I also know there are many films that despite some imperfections are still perfect pieces of entertainment. 

Casablanca.

Everything you want in a film in one movie. Excellent soundtrack, fantastic characters, classic romance, intrigue, suspense, adventure. There is not another film like it, though I wish there was. Extremely quotable. Favorite bit is Renault claiming his winnings after shutting down the Cafe. That and the immigrants going to America and practicing their english. "What watch?"

17 minutes ago, TheAvengerButton said:

There is not another film like it, though I wish there was.

I saw your avatar as a llama. If you squint your eyes a lot, the ears are the eyes and the eyes are the nose.

Btw, Grim Fandango is the best game ever, it has some Casablanca influences spread throughout.

On 1/29/2021 at 5:16 AM, TheAvengerButton said:

Casablanca.

Everything you want in a film in one movie. Excellent soundtrack, fantastic characters, classic romance, intrigue, suspense, adventure. There is not another film like it, though I wish there was. Extremely quotable. Favorite bit is Renault claiming his winnings after shutting down the Cafe. That and the immigrants going to America and practicing their english. "What watch?"

CASABLANCA is perhaps a perfect constellation of clichées, wherein all the tropes get together to celebrate themselves. That's a positive value judgement, by the way, inspired by Pauline Kael's legendary quote about the film:

When all the archetypes burst out shamelessly, we plumb Homeric profundity. Two clichés make us laugh but a hundred clichés move us because we sense dimly that the clichés are talking among themselves, celebrating a reunion.

3 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

is the relation between the films own demands for itself - what the film wants to be and wants to achieve, which must be identified and classified - and the films final quality - what the film actually is and succeeds to achieve, which must be identified and classified as well.

I used to champion this approach a lot - this idea that you judge a film by letting it set the standard, roughly within the confines of the first act, and then judge it by how well it stands-up to those standards.

There's still a lot of validity to that, of course, and its still an approach that informs the way I look at movies, but I no longer regard it as the whole truth. For one thing, sometimes it can come across as a low-bar: Marvel films come to mind: are they anything other than what they set themselves up to be? No. Does that make them good? Hmm... The way I put it, just because a choice is intentional (including the "bar" a film sets for itself) doesn't necessarily mean it works.

Ultimately, like I said earlier, I judge movies by what I get out of them. That seems to be the most substantive approach.

13 hours ago, Bespin said:

2001 Space Odyssey is PERFECT.

:pfft:

PS: Some people suggest watching it with a bit of weed.

his movies ARE perfect.

But my choice for perfect movies have to have a bit of warmth to them.  His movies are a bit too cold for my 'perfect' consideration.

On 1/28/2021 at 8:31 AM, GerateWohl said:

Apart from that at first guess I find pretty perfect films are

Gattaca

A History of Violence

Catch Me if You Can

The Departed

Princess Mononoke

I entered to say "Gattaca" and "The Departed"! To which I add:

The Fellowship of the Ring

A. I. Artificial Intelligence

Pulp Fiction

The Book Thief