How to write percussion beats?

filmmusic

Coming from the world of classical music, I don't know how to write modern percussion beats.

Can anyone recommend a good book for such a thing?

I was thinking of something along the lines of this:

I think it would definitely be worthwhile for you to read some books and watch some YouTube videos on standard grooves for drum set (AKA drum kit). The majority are variations on one of a few basic beats. And in terms of notation, it's rare to prescribe every single note - you'd typically give the drummer a basic indication of the type of beat, maybe some direction for fills or solos, and then the drummer just runs with it, based on the style of the music.

Edit with some examples for @filmmusic:

These are all variations on the same sort of rock beats:

Here are some more jazz/swing-based beats:

And here are some examples of Latin grooves:

Thanks, those videos look very helpful.

20 minutes ago, Datameister said:

I think it would definitely be worthwhile for you to read some books

yeah, this is what I'm after.

There are so many books on the subject, I don't know where to start...

24 minutes ago, Datameister said:

you'd typically give the drummer a basic indication of the type of beat, maybe some direction for fills or solos, and then the drummer just runs with it, based on the style of the music.

well, I should notate everything since i want to programme it in midi and not give it to a drummer to play...

15 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Thanks, those videos look very helpful.

yeah, this is what I'm after.

There are so many books on the subject, I don't know where to start...

well, I should notate everything since i want to programme it in midi and not give it to a drummer to play...

Sadly I can't be of much help on the books...everything I know about playing kit (it's not that much, haha) I learned from other drummers.

If you're MIDI programming the drums yourself, I'm not sure how to advise you...I think it's definitely easier if you've played a kit "for real." But honestly, it's the same as with anything else in music composition - if it sounds right, it is right.

Just now, Datameister said:

Sadly I can't be of much help on the books...everything I know about playing kit (it's not that much, haha) I learned from other drummers.

If you're MIDI programming the drums yourself, I'm not sure how to advise you...I think it's definitely easier if you've played a kit "for real." But honestly, it's the same as with anything else in music composition - if it sounds right, it is right.

For me, I have a drum pad on one of my MIDI keyboards and with some tweaks afterwards, it turns out pretty good. Before that, I mapped my MIDI Piano and played it that way. I like to mock Hans Zimmer drums by just beating randomly along the keyboard in a rhythmic fashion using a patch called "Epic Armageddon Ensemble".

1 hour ago, TSMefford said:

For me, I have a drum pad on one of my MIDI keyboards and with some tweaks afterwards, it turns out pretty good. Before that, I mapped my MIDI Piano and played it that way. I like to mock Hans Zimmer drums by just beating randomly along the keyboard in a rhythmic fashion using a patch called "Epic Armageddon Ensemble".

Yeah, having pads on your controller definitely helps. You can accomplish all the same stuff on the keys, but not as easily.