Why has John Williams remained viable ?

jojoju2000

23 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

20210225_221555.jpgI find it odd that many fans here constantly complain that there's " nothing original" coming out of Hollywood; it's all" sequels and remakes".

But, when it comes to.music, you want the same thing over and over.

I'm not a big fan of most new stuff part of being a fan is exploring new music

You should hear some of the lps I've been spinning....pops and clicks and skips😞

My OUTLAW JOSEY WALES is practically unplayable. And there's no CD on the horizon.😥

That's a load of crap!

You are a load of crap!

Hey Shark, did you click the LIKE emoji by mistake?😳

Just remember this:

No matter how bad you think modern film music is, it will NEVER sink to the level of the crap Hollywood churned out during the ' GOLDEN AGE( w/ a couple of exceptions)

😎

7 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Hey Shark, did you click the LIKE emoji by mistake?😳

Not at all. I like your post. :)

7 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

No matter how bad you think modern film music is, it will NEVER sink to the level of the crap Hollywood churned out during the ' GOLDEN AGE( w/ a couple of exceptions)

There's been a lot of shitty film music produced during all eras, but not as bad as currently.

On 2/27/2021 at 2:03 PM, TheUlyssesian said:

He's very complimentary of JW but says no director today wants what JW is selling. The big thematic symphonic scores, nobody wants that. Even PJ and Cameron for their recent projects seem to be moving away

Pretty much that, but I also want to add that when Hollywood producers actually want a symphonic score, they ask either veterans like JNH, Elfman and Silvestri, or they just go straight to Giacchino. 

Why spend millions during months with a Williams score when you can get a "JW lite" score way cheaper and faster with Gia? 

5 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Pretty much that, but I also want to add that when Hollywood producers actually want a symphonic score, they ask either veterans like JNH, Elfman and Silvestri, or they just go straight to Giacchino. 

Why spend millions during months with a Williams score when you can get a "JW lite" score way cheaper and faster with Gia? 

I'd say JNH, Elfman and Silvestri and even Gia put out respectable work more often than not.

But I don't think they add the kind of prestige to a project that a Williams score will add.

I think it is also a fact that even an established name like JNH can be bullied. Like him having to write 45 main titles for Fantastic Beasts or caving into the RC sound in some of his scores. 

I think modern directors and producers fear they will lose control. Williams' score will NOT be rejected. And you bet your ass he isn't going to write a cue 45 times. That will happen due to respect for him but also to not inconvenience a frail old man.

Who knows what the next Williams score will be.

On 1/31/2021 at 1:59 AM, karelm said:

In contrast, Horner, Herrmann or Goldsmith, excellent composers who influenced many composers, were not great people.  

While i don't doubt this statement, per se, i have yet to come across a musician who had anything bad to say about JG, social or diplomatic graces or not.

4 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

And you bet your ass he isn't going to write a cue 45 times. That will happen due to respect for him but also to not inconvenience a frail old man.

As far as i understood, that's exactly what happened on the SW sequels (at least the two Abrams outings).