Roger Feigelson announces a Williams title is coming from Intrada in 2021

Jay

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That;s probably right. But when John Williams would publish a half hour OST, I know he would write for that special arrangements and suites. So, I still get a rounded listening experience. But the Goldsmith OSTs often just pin actual pieces from the score in a random line, it seems. It often feels incomplete to me.

10 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

Why not a “Danny Elfman Spider-Man Collection” to sell alongside the Batman one? Also, I’m pretty sure MV said Spidey 3 would be a licensing nightmare. 

Anything is possible if course, I just shared my personal speculation

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 11:36 PM, GerateWohl said:

The only composers where I am really interested in expansions are John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith, and for Jerry mainly because most of the OSTs just carry half an hour of music which often just feels like a glimpse through the key hole on the score.

Agreed...though on the new S*P*Y*S expansion it's the half hour of music (well, 34 minutes) that's the full expanded score and the glimpse through the keyhole Varese gave us 17-18 years ago was only 19 minutes. :) 

Yavar

• 1 month later...
57 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

New JW coming soon!  What could it be?!?!?!!!

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8748

Sweet! Just finished my first time listen of Images and Always. As far as what the next release will be, at this point, anything goes! Looking forward to the announcement.

39 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

Is The Eiger Sanction free game for any of the labels? Or can only one of them do it?

Varèse Sarabande released the original CD, so they’re the most likely candidate to release an expansion, but I’m not sure if they have exclusive rights or not.

17 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Is it easier to list the JW scores that Intrada would not work on or lost the ones they could release?  

After WOTW came from Intrada, it's hard to say which label will tackle which score (I always pegged that as an LLL release, with the Paramount/Dreamworks/Spielberg connection). I still expect the majority of Spielberg's films will come from LLL, though.

Intrada are the most likely candidates for anything connected to Disney Records, so The Patriot and Nixon (The BFG is off-limits for the time being).

Eiger has the Varese connection but I don't think they own that soundtrack in perpetuity, so it's no guarantee (I'm sure they'd be thrilled to get that score expanded on their own label though...)

12 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Hook! Hook! Hook! Goddamn it, give me Hook!

Could this actually happen considering that LLL released the first expansion? Does this happen often? (For example, a scores's expansion first being released by one label, then a complete edition by another label)

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

The BFG is off-limits for the time being

How long is the time being? Not really sure how this whole different fees for rights after a certain year thing works...

8 minutes ago, carlborg said:

How long is the time being? Not really sure how this whole different fees for rights after a certain year thing works...

In one simple sentence: All scores from after 2005 can't be expanded

11 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

A bit less simple than that

49 minutes ago, Holko said:

It absolutely does happen (for example, Varese expanded The Fury and Home Alone 2, then LLL did them again later more complete), but I can't imagine LLL not wanting to fix the previous mess themselves.

Also, no Titus for WotW was a bad enough loss already, we have to have him for Hook again.

Yeah, watch LLL putting out a press release for a new Hook version praising the initial product.

21 minutes ago, Holko said:

A bit less simple than that

“Recorded in LA” being perhaps the biggest qualifier. But if a release was likely to sell in significant enough quantities (say, a Star Wars score) then I think the label might take a bet on it. Hopefully a more agreeable 10/15 year rolling cutoff will be agreed as the current rule seems unnecessarily restrictive and arbitrary.   

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Yeah, watch LLL putting out a press release for a new Hook version praising the initial product.

Maybe they'll just reissue the first expansion with slightly better sound, like Batman ;)

2 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

“Recorded in LA” being perhaps the biggest qualifier. But if a release was likely to sell in significant enough quantities (say, a Star Wars score) then I think the label might take a bet on it. Hopefully a more agreeable 10/15 year rolling cutoff will be agreed as the current rule seems unnecessarily restrictive and arbitrary.   

It's even murkier than that. For example, Lincoln wasn't recorded in LA but is seemingly also subject to these absurd new AFM fees.

I really hope they move to a sliding date or a new cutoff (even 15 years would open up Munich and Memoirs to the labels immediately).

3 hours ago, carlborg said:

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Yeah, I was wondering that too right after my initial post.

Here's Mike's explanation again

"For AFM recordings made before July 3, 2005, NO reuse needs to be paid to the musicians at all, provided a) that it’s for a physical format release with a 5000 unit maximum, and b) that the musicians list is published, preferably in the packaging. For recordings made after that date, whatever the musicians were paid to record the score for the film has to be paid to them again, 100%. That’s why it’s called “reuse”. They were paid to play music for sync purposes, but an album is a new use.

So, hypothetically, if 120 people were paid $360,000 to record the music for the film (musicians, orchestrators, copyists, at an average of $3K a person), then a label would have to pay that exact same amount to AFM in order to put out an expanded album. That makes it impossible to consider even before you get to licensing, publishing, production and manufacturing.

The 2005 date was established in 2015 and applied to recordings going back 10 years prior, but unfortunately it was not a “sliding” date as it really should have been.

Mike"

The only post-July 3 2005, AFM-recorded scores that have been expanded so far are Giacchino's three Star Trek scores - presumably Varese cut a special deal with the AFM to make those releases happen.

So, there is precedent for getting around this roadblock.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

The only post-July 3 2005, AFM-recorded scores that have been expanded so far are Giacchino's three Star Trek scores, and Powell's How To Train Your Dragon 1.  Presumably in all 4 cases Varese cut a special deal with the AFM to make the releases happen.

Isn't HTTYD a London recorded score?

Yea, you're right!  What was the score I'm thinking of then?  Or is it just the three Treks and thats it?

4 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

Will the high cost of doing these expansions remain so indefinitely? Or does it become possible after a certain amount of years, or something of the sort?

As far as we all know, it will stay exactly like it is forever, until the AFM decides to change it.  When or why they might change their minds is completely unknown to anyone here

Maybe it'll be Cinderella Liberty or SpaceCamp since Intrada has released those OSTs in the past?  I'd be happy with either one since I don't have CL and I don't like the OST presentation for SC.

So assuming it's not a re-issue, could it be something from below? I've eliminated the obvious unlikely candidates (e.g. Star Wars).

Disney

20th Century Studios

• 1967 Valley of the Dolls
  • 1973 The Paper Chase (FSM 1998 released can be improved upon)
  • 1973 Cinderella Liberty (Intrada 2008 release was not expanded)
  • 1974 Conrack (FSM 1998 released can be improved upon)
  • 1986 SpaceCamp (Intrada 2010 release - and 2014 re-issue - are not expanded)

Hollywood Pictures

• 1995 Nixon

MGM

United Artists

• 1971 Fiddler On The Roof (2001 30th Anniversary CD is not complete)

Paramount

Allied Artists

• 1960 I Passed For White

National General Pictures

• 1969 The Reivers

Paramount

• 1995 Sabrina
  • 1999 Angela's Ashes

Dreamworks

• 1997 Amistad
  • 2002 Catch Me If You Can
  • 2004 The Terminal

Sony

Imperial Productions / American International Pictures

• 1958 Daddy-O

Columbia Pictures

• 1960 Because They're Young
  • 1963 Diamond Head (FSM 2006 release was not expanded)
  • 1963 Gidget Goes To Rome
  • 1998 Stepmom
  • 2000 The Patriot

Tri-Star Pictures

• 1991 Hook (La-La Land 2012 release is not complete)
  • 1997 Seven Years In Tibet

Universal

• 1961 The Secret Ways
  • 1965 The Killers
  • 1966 The Rare Breed
  • 1966 The Plainsman
  • 1970 Storia di una donna (Story of a Woman)
  • 1974 The Sugarland Express
  • 1975 The Eiger Sanction
  • 1989 Born On The Fourth Of July

Universal Television

• 1972 The Screaming Woman

Warner Brothers

• 1987 The Witches Of Eastwick (Perseverance 2012 release is not expanded)
  • 1988 The Accidental Tourist (FSM 2008 release is not expanded)
  • 1991 JFK
  • 1996 Sleepers

National Geographic Pictures

• 1969 Daddy's Gone A-Hunting

6 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Not sure if MoaG and Munich fall under the AFM thingey or not.

They do.  As far as Williams' 2005 scores go, Revenge of the Sith was recorded in London so doesn't qualify, WOTW finished recording before July 3rd so doesn't qualify (and has already been expanded anyway), and both Geisha and Munich were recorded after July 3rd so do qualify

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

They do.  As far as Williams' 2005 scores go, Revenge of the Sith was recorded in Londo so doesn't qualify, WOTW finished recording before July 3rd so doesn't qualify (and has already been expanded anyway), and both Geisha and Munich were recorded after July 3rd so do qualify

Ah. So it's all Tom Cruise's fault then.

List edited.

59 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I just want The Patriot.

When The Patriot gets expanded, my life will finally be complete.

Until the Star wars Prequels and Sequels are relased