93rd Academy Awards (2021 ceremony for 2020 films)

Jay

1 minute ago, Romão said:

is there anything dumb in a group people prefering Hopkins' performance over the other nominees? It's not like he's Tommy Wiseau

Hopkins is one of the greatest actors in the history of cinema. But he was up against Chadwick Boseman.

3 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

It sucks if there is going to be outrage over this because Hopkins is fucking incredible in that movie.

He really is. And deserves the Oscar for sure. But cue the #OscarssoWhite...

They shouldn't have messed with the presentation formula.

1 minute ago, KK said:

He really is. And deserves the Oscar for sure. But cue the #OscarssoWhite...

They shouldn't have messed with the presentation formula.

Maybe he was stuck in customs?

4 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

It sucks if there is going to be outrage over this because Hopkins is fucking incredible in that movie.

It's like when people were upset that Sylvester Stallone didn't win best supporting actor as a "career achievement award" (lol)

I didn't even know the director if NOMADLAND.

Is it a Chinese woman?

2 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I agree. The Oscars totally walked into that one themselves. They clearly set up that moment for a Boseman victory. They should have kept Best Picture last and then they wouldn't have this awkward moment.

I think they wanted to end with something people would be excited over I.e. something they actually heard of.

Who got the SAG award?

9 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I agree. The Oscars totally walked into that one themselves. They clearly set up that moment for a Boseman victory. They should have kept Best Picture last and then they wouldn't have this awkward moment.

Yup.

If they kept Best Picture last, the takeaway narrative is that "first woman of colour director's feature film bags all the major wins".

Now the narrative is "celebrated deceased Black actor gets snubbed".

I enjoyed following the show on JWFAN.

Not that I'll ever do.it again😊

10 minutes ago, Kühni said:

Who might've accepted on Boseman's behalf?

Al SHarpton( only Americans will get that reference)

McDormand joins a list of just five other performers who won three acting Oscars: Ingrid Bergman, Walter Brennan, Daniel Day-Lewis, Jack Nicholson, and Meryl Streep

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/04/frances-mcdormand-wins-oscar-best-actress-nomadland-1234632159/

Well deserved. 

25 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Ulysses reacts to 2021 Oscar telecast

20201218_203104_HDR.jpg

She just started another hashtag!😅

The.boycott begins!

Fyi I'm a civil rights purist. But, these awards have zero to do with advancing rights and the folks who think they do are a bunch of SJW- virtue signallers.

I'm mocking them not real activists who are out in the street .

I've seen nothing trend about Boseman so far, or even Hopkins for that matter. Guessing that'll be tomorrow's outrage instead of today.

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

I think they wanted to end with something people would be excited over I.e. something they actually heard of.

Ah yes, Black Panther was an indie film that totally got little recognition. Didn't win awards whatsoever.

(I figure the choices this year was more like "some for them, some for us" in terms of handing out the awards.)

5 hours ago, Arpy said:

Creatively bankrupt oscars for choosing Soul as Best Score, but then again, they chose that awful Social Network trash a decade ago...

Your constant carping is the definition of " creative bankruptcy".

Play a new tune already!

5 hours ago, Unlucky Bastard said:

This!

Screenshot_2021-04-26-01-42-00.png

2 minutes ago, toothless said:

Am I the only one around here who likes the score for Social Network? I do prefer HTTYD by far but one does not prevent the other.

Nah I actually like it too. I just don't understand why it beat HTTYD and Inception

2 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Nah I actually like it too. I just don't understand why it beat HTTYD and Inception

Because more Academy members voted for it.

27 minutes ago, toothless said:

Am I the only one around here who likes the score for Social Network? I do prefer HTTYD by far but one does not prevent the other.

I love it too!

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I only noticed sound design.

I head electronic music. Because to me, there are tunes in there.

Sound design is an adjective I would give to Dunkirk or Joker. And I know lots of people would disagree and that's fine really :) I'm merely stating an opinion here, not trying to pass it as fact :)