93rd Academy Awards (2021 ceremony for 2020 films)

Jay

None of my close colleagues at work (with whom cinema is one of very few topics of conversation) knew anything of it this morning.

5 hours ago, toothless said:

I head electronic music. Because to me, there are tunes in there.

Sound design is an adjective I would give to Dunkirk or Joker. And I know lots of people would disagree and that's fine really :) I'm merely stating an opinion here, not trying to pass it as fact :) 

JOKER is not sound design

Listen to " I am JOKER"

I don't think the academy were helping themselves by insisting that all the attendees would have to attend in person, and no zooming would be allowed. It's such a pretentious and self-important attitude, especially when travelling distances is really not a good idea right now.

I'm not sure what you're talking about.  Lots of the nominees only appeared via via and winners who weren't there gave their speeches through the video link

2 hours ago, LSH said:

I'm about to give Nomadland a watch. Thoughts later...

Wow. I really liked it! Though I will consolidate my thoughts in the relevant location, lest the thread police turn up.

• 2 weeks later...

So Steven Soderbergh now admits they basically the show around Chadwick' Boseman accepting his Oscar.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2021-05-04/steven-soderbergh-oscars-ending-chadwick-boseman-anthony-hopkins

That's a dumb move and backfired.

In fairness, he says that the rearrangement was done to account for the strong possibility of a Boseman win, not under the assumption that it was a certainty.

I'd say the real backfiring move was not ensuring that all potential winners would be allowed to accept their awards live. Acting recipients may well give more dramatic speeches, but not when they're asleep in bed.

I could even live with that, if the rest of the ceremony wasn’t such a bore...

1 hour ago, Glóin the Dark said:

In fairness, he says that the rearrangement was done to account for the strong possibility of a Boseman win, not under the assumption that it was a certainty.

I'd say the real backfiring move was not ensuring that all potential winners would be allowed to accept their awards live. Acting recipients may well give more dramatic speeches, but not when they're asleep in bed.

That was a choice they made. Hopkins is 83. His team pleaded to allow a Zoom connection for him. The Academy denied his request.

18 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

That was a choice they made. Hopkins is 83. His team pleaded to allow a Zoom connection for him. The Academy denied his request.

Indeed; that's what I meant. The decision to finish on the leading acting categories has some valid logic behind it, despite how crass it is. I would think it's safe to say that most of the viewers they want to attract are more familiar with and interested in actors than in producers or directors, so this ordering paves the way for a more climactic conclusion for that audience (whether or not Boseman turned out to be the winner). But by sticking with a rule that meant not all potential winners could participate, they simultaneously created the (entirely foreseeable) possibility of a far bigger anticlimax, and that's what bit them on the ass.

I'd love to see Soderbergh's reaction when he learned that Hopkins had won.