93rd Academy Awards (2021 ceremony for 2020 films)

Jay

6 hours ago, AC1 said:

Seems like Jay and Disco don't understand that we were merely responding to Bruce's claim that Mank's cinematography is meant to mimic CK. It's clear that, if this is indeed the case, we don't think Fincher did a good job, hence the nature of our reaction.  

It'd speculate that perhaps Disco Stu has Bruce on ignore, and never saw Bruce's post to begin with, only your responses to him - otherwise he would have mentioned him in his post instead of (or in addition to) you guys. 

I have some issues with MANK's script (by Fincher sr.), but in addition to the great music, the stunning, gorgeous cinematography by Erik Messerschmidt is its greatest strength. That stroll through the zoo is jawdroppingly beautiful. But the whole thing - defined black tones, grainy light sources ebbing in and out, dancing pillars of smoke, expressive shadow plays in the faces. Such a great tribute to Gregg Toland-ian cinematography. So no, I don't understand what people are on about.

I didn't like the script or the cinematography in Mank.  The acting was good though

We watched The LIghthouse the day after we watched Mank and that did the retro B&W movie look much better

12 minutes ago, Thor said:

the stunning, gorgeous cinematography by Erik Messerschmidt is its greatest strength. 

That's what's so weird because it made it impossible for me to enjoy the movie. I was constantly baffled at the choices (especially the faces being dim or underlit), like there was indeed something wrong technically. But then there are the screenshots on the internet that do confirm that what I saw wasn't a Netflix malfunction.

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Here is the part of the interview where he talks about not mimicking the look of Kane, he even mentions how Blade Runner did want to look like Kane.

Does it mention Bruce?

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

That's what's so weird because it made it impossible for me to enjoy the movie. I was constantly baffled at the choices (especially the faces being dim or underlit), like there was indeed something wrong technically. But then there are the screenshots on the internet that do confirm that what I saw wasn't a Netflix malfunction.

That's fine. I obviously totally disagree. I only wish there were less dialogue (and information-heavy dialogue at that) that got "in the way" of the great visuals.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

I didn't like the script or the cinematography in Mank.  The acting was good though

We watched The LIghthouse the day after we watched Mank and that did the retro B&W movie look much better

I almost watched that then I remembered folks here saying it sucked#!

8 hours ago, Alex said:

OK, so if Boseman wins it’s because of virtue-signalling Hollywood wokeness and if Hopkins wins it’s because he deserves it. Got it!

No.

We are making fun of Hollywood giving awards to actors who play people sick, dying or handicapped.

Plus, the recent trend to bow to political pressure to honor " diversity".

It has nothing to do with " deserves" and every

thing to do with the idiocy of the awards process.

I didn't like The Lighthouse at all, I was only saying the look and style of the film was more like an old fashioned movie than Mank was (IMO)

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Except he didnt

Partially true.

Shot in widescreen for one.

But, it was made to look like a film PHOTOGRAPHED in the era and style of KANE.

You can't deny
 That!

5 hours ago, Thor said:

That's fine. I obviously totally disagree. I only wish there were less dialogue (and information-heavy dialogue at that) that got "in the way" of the great visuals.

The dialogue INTENTIONALLY heavy on exposition.

Geez. I thought folks here were movie fans and had some familiarity with older Hollywood films- certainly film noir.

I guess not.

That's cool and it explains the negative reactions.

I remember when BODY HEAT came out and all the critics were praising it as a tribute to " film noir"

I had no idea wtf they were talking about😅

15 minutes ago, AC1 said:

No lighting is no lighting, Thor. 

gary-oldman-mank-twitter-scaled.jpeg

BTW, anyone else tired of Bruce's overuse of the confused smiley? 

Well, start making sense!

11 minutes ago, AC1 said:

No lighting is no lighting, Thor. 

gary-oldman-mank-twitter-scaled.jpeg

BTW, anyone else tired of Bruce's overuse of the confused smiley? 

I don't understand what's ' wrong'  with this!

This argument is similar to the " sound quality" complaints of CDs.

Some undefined standard of digital perfection is the only acceptable result.

You don't see how dull the lighting is? Also, there's a complete lack of highlights and just overall contrast in many of the shots, making the B&W tones washy and digital looking. And when something is actually lit, it often isn't the face of the actor (like when Mank is lying in bed). It's not the entire movie or every single shot but it was enough to pull me out of the movie. Maybe Fincher went too much out of his way NOT to copy Citizen Kane.

citizen-kane.png

... Welles did lit the faces, even if only partially.

I watched it on a sixty inch monitor that I personally reset the calibrations.

It didn't look bad to me.

Did you read where I said they were going for a ' day for night' look.

That is what I think you are looking at.

I assume you know what the term means.

Lmk if you don't and I'll ' splain it

We watched Wolfwalkers (best animated film nominee) last night and I thought it was terrific.  Much better than the team’s other efforts (Secret of Kells and Song of the Sea) which I thought were equally beautiful but kinda snoozes.  Probably my favorite animated movie of the year (although I didn’t change my pick’em away from Soul, which I suspect will take it).

I'm looking forward to watching the awards tonight!

Here's the nominated films I've seen

• Judas and the Black Messiah - meh, very boring, didn't like it
  • Mank - meh, it was kind of interesting but not very cohesive
  • Nomadland - Really cool flick, liked it a lot.  Loved the direction most of all
  • Promising Young Woman - meh, good idea for a film and good message but not executed well and Mulligan was miscast
  • Sound of Metal - Easily one the best films of the year, interesting story, great acting and sound design
  • Trial of the Chicago 7 - Cool flick, I enjoyed it a lot
  • Another Round - Nice premise, cast was real good, execution was off though, tone was too sullen, cool ending though
  • Soul - I Liked it a lot
  • Da 5 Bloods - I really didn't like it
  • News of the World - I really liked it a lot!  I was surprised this barely got any nominations - what happened?
  • Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga - Funny!
  • Greyhound - Amazing WW2 action movie, I loved it, one of my favorites of the year

Here's (some of the) nominated films that I haven't seen yet

• Minari - Looks good, will see as soon as its streaming free somewhere
  • The Father - Ditto
  • Ma Rainey's Black Bottom - Watched the trailer, neither of us were compelled to want to watch it
  • The United States vs Billie Holiday - Ditto
  • Pieces of a Woman - Looks too depressing, not that interested
  • One Night In Miami - Looks good, we'll watch it eventually, just haven't yet
  • Borat Subsequent Moviefilm - I remember laughing a lot at the first one, will watch this eventually
  • Hillbilly Elegy - Was originally interested in this, but the tepid response made me lose interest
  • The White Tiger - Might check this one out
  • Onward - Will see eventually
  • Over The Moon - Definitely want to see, just haven't yet
  • Wolfwalkers - Ditto
  • Shaun The Sheep Movie: Farmageddon - Meh
  • Emma. - Meh
  • Mulan - Meh
  • Pinocchio - Shouldn't this have been a part of last year's ceremony?

And finally here's the rest of the 2020 films (and Jan/Feb 2021 since they were eligible this year due to covid) I've seen (that didn't get nominated for anything)

• The Gentlemen - Guy Ritchie doing the Guy Ritchie thing, but with a newer cast.  Pretty good, not a new classic like Lock Stock and Snatch though
  • The Invisible Man - I loved it, one of the best movies of the year, superbly directed, great thriller
  • Guns Akimbo - One of the dumbest movies I've ever seen
  • The Hunt - I loved it, one of best films of the year, already want to watch again.  Betty Gilpin killed it
  • Coffee & Kareem - Funny disposable entertainment
  • The Wrong Missy - Ditto
  • The High Note - Somewhat interesting "chick flick"
  • Irresistible - Really clever flick, didn't seem too special right after but I still think about it sometimes
  • The Old Guard - Really cool action flick with a genuinely interesting story and concept - I hope they make sequels
  • Palm Springs - one of the best movies of the year, Love the story, cast, and execution
  • An American Pickle - I liked this flick, it really came and went but showed Seth Rogen can act when he wants to
  • Tesla - Really weird, didn't care for it (I admire the effort though)
  • Bill & Ted Face The Music - Meh
  • The Binge - Funny
  • Unpregnant - Really good, Booksmart is better though
  • Antebellum - Really stupid, one of the worst films of the year
  • Enola Holmes - I wanted to like it but.. meh
  • Ava - Somehow despite the great cast and decent budget it just didn't result in anything special.  Still worth a watch though, with lowered expectations
  • Hubie Halloween - Funny, basically Happy Gilmore / Billy Madison 3
  • The 40 Year Old Version - meh, I admire the effort though
  • The Witches - Meh, Zemeckis didn't pull off anything special here
  • Run - Great little thriller!  I liked it!
  • Happiest Season - Good rom-com with a great cast
  • Uncle Frank - Easily one of the best movies of the year, really good from start to finish.  Huge snub, should have gotten writing, directing, and acting noms
  • Godmothered - Disposable Disney kid stuff
  • Wonder Woman 1984 - Meh, really didn't like it
  • Locked Down - Waste of time
  • The Dig - Nice flick, good cast, interesting story
  • The Little Things - Waste of time
  • I Care A Lot - Loved it, Pike was fantastic, another snub

Going through the list of 2020 movies.... holy hell was there a lot of films I still want to see, way more than any other recent year.

What a good year for flicks this ended up being!

Well, it's a cool WW2 sea battle movie written by and starring Tom Hanks.

It's 90 minutes of lean and mean action with just the briefest of setup and denoument outside of that.  It was fantastic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyhound_(film)

I only haven't seen The Father and Minari

Why do they let all the speeches go on for so long this year? 

4 hours ago, Jay said:
  • Promising Young Woman - meh, good idea for a film and good message but not executed well and Mulligan was miscast

I love Promising Young Woman. The reason it isn't among my top few of the nominees is that it seriously compromises itself with its ending, but I thought Mulligan was great.

I'm surprised at how long they're letting these speeches go.

And the Oscars definitely needs a real host I think.

18 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

I think they'd both be in my top 3 of the nominees, with Nomadland ahead of them.

I'd put Sound of MetalMinari and The Father as my top 3, above Nomadland.

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

Why do they let all the speeches go on for so long this year? 

Lol woops, just seeing this.

Looks like they really cut down everything else in the ceremony to give more airtime for speeches...makes the whole thing rather dry.

3 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Yeah, Sound of Metal is in the same league.

I gather that Chloe Zhao's win has already been announced...

Happy for Zhao's win. Second Asian director to win Best Director in a row.

Also, did they cut out the Best Costume winner speech? That doesn't seem right.

We saw Promising Young Woman, Onward, Over the Moon, Soul, Wolfwalkers, Eurovision Song Contest, burrow (short), Love and Monsters, and The One and Only Ivan.  All the big nominees.

Yay for Chloe Zhao, a well deserved win for directing Nomadland! It's rare that I watch a film and think "that was well directed", but that one I sure did!