93rd Academy Awards (2021 ceremony for 2020 films)

Jay

46 minutes ago, Jay said:

Aww, I wanted Paul Raci to win for Sound of Metal. I really didn't like Kaluuya's performance in Judas. Oh well

Paul Raci was excellent. But so was Kaluuya! I say it's a deserved win.

I thought Lakeith Stanfield was easily the better performance in that movie. And I've liked Kaluuya plenty in other things but really thought he mumbled his way through this one

17 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Why are they hosting it t at a train station?

COVID protocols.  

The Oscars Roll Out the Red Carpet—at a Train Station - WSJ

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-oscars-roll-out-the-red-carpetat-a-train-station-11619221079

Oh, and how did they end up deciding to give the Best Director award out so early? Isn't it traditionally the last award of the night other than Best Picture? 

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh, and how did they end up deciding to give the Best Director award out so early? Isn't it traditionally the last award of the night other than Best Picture? 

I think it always should be the penultimate award. It undercuts the historic nature of Zhoa's win that its dispensed with so unceremoniously early on.

The other reason could be - it was a foregone conclusion, so maybe they thought lets get it out of the way.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Maybe it has something to do with the different logistics this year?

Every year I never see any of the short film nominees. 

Some years I see one or two of the feature length documentary nominees... Not this year though. 

Heard good things about Octopus Teacher though

And that's the one that won! 

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

They tend to rotate it between Director, Actor, and Actress every year. Those are usually the last three categories in different orders.

This is definitely the least interesting Oscar ceremony I've seen which is saying something. I can't imagine why anybody who doesn't just traditionally always watch would be sitting through any of this.

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh snap I forgot to do an Oscar pool damn

They've been pretty predictable throughout. Most of us have been spot on across the categories, but I am officially behind because I voted for Time for Best Documentary.

Man I have no skin in this visual effects game. 

Huh, Tenet won. When was the last time Nolan made a film that didn't win something? 

Just now, mrbellamy said:

This is definitely the least interesting Oscar ceremony I've seen which is saying something. 

Indeed. I thought last year was their all-time low. 

The Oscars needs the promp and fills, not just an endless barrage of speeches. And they definitely need a host. But I guess that they got to put all this together as seamlessly as they did is pretty impressive, given everything.

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Every year I never see any of the short film nominees. 

Some years I see one or two of the feature length documentary nominees... Not this year though. 

Heard good things about Octopus Teacher though

And that's the one that won! 

Was sure they'd give it to the one that ripped off the TZ ep about a racist cop killer.!😳

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Is it my impression or this year's speeches are longer than ever?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Why do they let all the speeches go on for so long this year? 

1 hour ago, KK said:

I'm surprised at how long they're letting these speeches go.

What did Halle Berry do to her hair, yikes

Cinematography, will News of the World finally win something tonight? 

Mank wins? Sheesh. At least Chicago 7 didnt

Woah. That trailer for In The Heights... It's amazing how much more exciting that was than the West Side Story trailer. Wow. 

Oh shit, Harrison Ford is really an old grandpa now... And they want him to star in Indy 5 still damn

I’m in 19th (out of 20) and mathematically eliminated in my friends pool!  I’m fairing slightly higher in my family pool, although there are three kids under 6 in that one

2 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Are many of the nominees present at the train station, or are they all appearing via video link?

Most of them seem to be at the train station. Others are at the Dolby Theatre, and some are video-conferencing in.

11 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Oh crap, Mank won. I was hoping Nomadland would win, its cinematography is breathtaking. 

Not surprised. 

That movie looked very Oscar winning.

Just now, Jay said:

What's gonna win Best Picture? The awards have bee pretty spread out so far

Nomadland