93rd Academy Awards (2021 ceremony for 2020 films)

Jay

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Every time multiple people win an award, one person talks for a while and then the music starts before the other winners get to say anything 

That's by design. Each group of nominees has been asked to pick one speaker. So they knew that going into the ceremony.

6 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

So , are all the nominees at the train station?

33 minutes ago, KK said:

Most of them seem to be at the train station. Others are at the Dolby Theatre, and some are video-conferencing in.

Irffan Khan died? 

Oh shit they are blowing through these names, must be running late 

Ennio! 

Wow even DMX made the cut! 

Wow yea they're giving out Best Picture now. This is insanity not to save that for last! 

It did actually used to happen before in ancient Oscar history where they would present Pic somewhere in the middle. I was just reading about Greer Garson's Best Actress speech being the longest ever when she was the last award of the night. But this is hilarious, what a weird year.

They're probably betting on Chadwick Boseman winning Best Actor and saving that for last.

1 minute ago, mrbellamy said:

They're probably betting on Chadwick Boseman winning Best Actor and saving that for last.

Ah that explains it

Well, I am watching but these are for sure a disaster.

Presenting Best Picture as not the final award is the final straw.

What on earth were they thinking? I think it is a terrible indefensible choice.

The ratings are going to crater so deep they will reach the hollow earth and then the earth's core.

Just now, Edmilson said:

Frances McDormand's performance on Nomadland was amazing, her Oscar is well deserved. 

Agreed! 

10 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I'm all for honouring Boseman, but I think they've kind of botched the momentum of the whole ceremony with this weird reshuffling.

McDormand was a surprise! She joins Streep and Day-Lewis in the triple Oscar acting category. Good for her!

Was rooting for Ahmed to win Best Actor, but I haven't seen The Father or Ma Rainey so who knows if I would have liked those performances more

Damn...Boseman didn't get it...

Hopkins and Ahmed were my favourites in the category...but this is not gonna play well....

23 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Tommorow news headline.

" OSCAR Still Hasn't fully Embraced Diversity"

Little did I know how prophetic I would be!

Just now, TheUlyssesian said:

Gutsy choice by the academy to give it to Hopkins and not Boseman. I wonder what the twitter reaction will be.

Oscar so Welsh!

2 minutes ago, KK said:

Damn...Boseman didn't get it...

Hopkins and Ahmed were my favourites in the category...but this is not gonna play well....

Not gonna  play well. 

Mighr be the dumbest thing the oscars have done in the last 20 years.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

I’m in 19th (out of 20) and mathematically eliminated in my friends pool!  I’m fairing slightly higher in my family pool, although there are three kids under 6 in that one

Ended up in 20th out of 20, so guess whose entry is free next year!  That’s right, this guy!

I haven't seen most of the nominees, but is there anything dumb in a group people prefering Hopkins' performance over the other nominees? It's not like he's Tommy Wiseau

image.png

Had no clue what to choose in the way of documentaries, shorts and songs, but of the categories I could predict I got 11 correct out of 18 (all the easy ones). Really thought Boseman was a lock for Best Actor. Pretty good crop of nominees all around though!